New TV show: "Spectacle: Elvis Costello with ..."

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Re: New TV show: "Spectacle: Elvis Costello with ..."

Post by johnfoyle »

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/20 ... _vari.html

New York Magazine

So, How Is Elvis Costello’s Variety Show?

By: Stephen Rodrick

9/11/08

A few years back, John Lydon blew what remained of his Sex Pistols reputation by appearing on the Anglo version of Big Brother. Then again, the former Johnny Rotten’s favorite line was "Ever get the feeling you’ve been cheated?" Elvis Costello has no excuse, which made Tuesday night’s taping at the Apollo of Spectacle, his new Sundance Channel variety show all the more baffling. The evening was much like the Seinfeld episode where Kramer installs the old Merv Griffin set in his apartment, but without the laughs. The festivities began with a stage manager asking the audience to provide some canned "applause" and then "medium applause." Costello then emerged all in black with a flowing scarf in a getup that was Quentin Crisp meets Little Dorrit era Dickens. Costello’s guests included Zooey Deschanel, M. Ward, Jenny Lewis, and Jakob Dylan. Individually, they all have their charms, but seated together on the stage of the Apollo, just a few feet from where James Brown lay in repose, they jointly made up a musical version of The Whitest Kids U' Know.

There was something infinitely sad and dispiriting as Elvis read strangely Dadaist questions off a TelePrompTer. Card 21 just said "Bach. Brian Wilson." It was followed by "The inhibition of indie rock vs. pop music." Poor Elvis was out of his element, asking M. Ward how he related to Deschanel and Lewis since they're both from L.A. and Ward isn't. "Matt’s from Ventura County," corrected Lewis. Costello sighed and said, "Someone is going to have to shoot the researcher."

You had to wonder who talked him into this. Toward the end of the taping, show handlers were forced to move up audience members to replace the faithful that fled halfway through the evening. Lewis and Deschanel eventually returned to sing backing vocals on a couple of Costello standards. "The only way this night can be saved is if they start making out," said a disappointed fan. Alas, it never happened. Costello brought Dylan back out, and the evening finally went off the cue cards. Jakob told a story about Joe Strummer giving him his vest after a show on the Combat Rock tour and his mom unwittingly donating it to the Salvation Army. Elvis mentioned the first time he met Dylan’s daddy. Bob uttered, "I've been hearing a lot about you." A starstruck Costello shot back, "I've heard a lot about you."

The all-star combo then did a sublime cover of Strummer’s "Straight to Hell" and finished with an obligatory cover of "Peace Love, and Understanding," that Costello introduced by confessing that Nick Lowe originally wrote the song as a parody of protest music, but times had changed, not for the better. Now, Costello said, it was time to take the words seriously. It was all wonderfully slapdash and real. Costello was left with a lesson he surely learned long ago: You can’t script rock and roll.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Wanna hear the Straight To Hell cover
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Wanna hear the Straight To Hell cover

ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
always dancing

Post by always dancing »

That guy doesn't get it.

Anyway, went to the Elton/Elvis taping Wed. Elvis came out in a black suit, scarf and a black and purple hat. He sang 'Almost Blue' with Christian McBride on bass and Kareem Wiggins on drums - twice (feedback problem which only he could hear) and than introduced Elton as guest host. He said the show would not let him interview his wife.
Elvis left and Elton explained that since the show was called 'Spectacle' they had to find a guest host with glasses. Elton looked in shape and was dressed in a black suit with a purple tee-shirt and matching glasses. He intorduced Diana Krall who sat at the piano while Elton stood or sat in a chair behind the piano. He stated he had never interviewed anyone before. Diana was in a black dress and looked great (as any mother can appreciate). They talked about her influences and start. She sang ‘But Not for Me' the traditional way and her way. I found it interesting that she did not start singing until the age of 26 but that she just played in the band. I apparently an early music teacher said her voice was too low and she could not sing. She also mentioned that she was a fan of Elton and Elvis growing up. That makes for an interesting marriage.

She also played ‘Exactly Like You' with her band and than Elton requested 'Night Train" which she apparently played unrehersed. She also sang Joni Mitchell’s ‘A Case For You’ unrehersed and apparently skipped a planned Peggy Lee song. She did the Joni song twice also. There was something she didn't like. Elton and Diana sang ‘Sorry Seems To Be the hardest Word' after Elvis brought Elton his microphone out on a royal pillow and than disappeared agian.

I also noticed during the show that Elton did not pay much attention to the suggestions on the teleprompt saying what ever he wanted. But than there was the song 'Making Whoopee' with Elvis, Elton, Diana and the band. Elton started by singing that the teleprompt wasn't working. Than the second take Diana just lost it somewhere in the middle and than Elvis blew the words on the third try. There was much laughter throught the song, and they finally got it. Everyone liked the line about Elvis changing diapers and Diana singing "thats right".

It was a great show.

Cheryl
always dancing

Post by always dancing »

Sorry about the typos in last post
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Great account - thanks!
always dancing

Post by always dancing »

I got rejected by Elvis again for tickets(see my post in the official web site section) So far my tikcets came from Rufus's site and Elton's site. Thank you John. How do you know everything? But I found out something before John. There is a give away on Rosanne Cash's web site.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

johnfoyle wrote:Great account - thanks!
Absolutely. I'm really enjoying these accounts.

Thanks all.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
always dancing

Post by always dancing »

Did anyone here see the Herbie Hancock show? There seems to be no accounts of what happened. I do know there wasn't much turn around time after the elton show. I left about 5:30PM and the next show doors where to open at 7:15PM.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A bit late but here goes -

http://notrustfund.blogspot.com/2008/09 ... james.html

http://www.privatepass.citi.com/site/main.aspx

Citi credit cardmembers can receive complimentary tickets to attend a live taping of Spectacle: Elvis Costello with James Taylor. The show will air on the Sundance Channel and fuses the best elements of talk and music television. Viewers can experience an intimate conversation between host Costello and James Taylor, punctuated by rare musical performances by Costello, James Taylor and a wide variety of musicians.

Taping Date and Time:
Tuesday, September 16th
2PM (doors open at 12:45PM and close promptly at 1:30PM)

The Apollo Theatre
253 West 125th Street
New York, NY 10027

Tickets may be picked up at the Apollo Box Office. The box office will open at 12:00 PM

To redeem, please call 1-800-897-1761 Monday through Friday, 8AM to 6PM EST, and Saturday through Sunday, 9AM to 5PM EST. Please have your Citi credit card accessible when you call.

Complimentary tickets are available on a limited basis (one pair max. per cardmember).

If tickets are available, Citi credit cardmembers who respond will be provided with a confirmation email with additional event details.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Thanks to the post by always dancing, I was able to get a ticket from the Roseanne Cash website and finally could attend a Spectacle taping.

The ticket they gave me wasn't very good, but a few minutes before showtime they needed to fill empty seats within camera range, so they plucked some of the folks in the balcony like myself from limbo, and they put me in the 12th row floor where I was quite content.

The Apollo really is a lot smaller than I had estimated from seeing it on TV.

On a screen to the side, they kept showing what will be the titles for the show when it airs, a series of black and white (with occasional splashes of red) graphics of EC, mostly in his fedora but sometimes not, and once with the Apollo featured prominently, so I guess that is now the show's permanent home. The logo for the show is the word "Spectacle" with one lens and a eyeball with a raised eyebrow to the right of the word.

This show was a departure from the format, in that all the guests came out and sat together, in what was billed as a "guitar pull". If any of you saw EC on the Landmine tour in 2002, it was very similar to that.

EC brought out Roseanne Cash and Kris Kristofferson to start it off, they all sang "I Still Miss Someone." Miking problems caused them to do it twice. The only other musician tonight besides the guests was John Leventhal, Roseanne's husband, on guitar.

(Johnny Cash was mentioned many times. In fact, EC cited the release of the DVD last year collecting Johnny's TV shows, as the inspiration for "Spectacle"....but then said something to the effect that no one onstage could be as great as the folks Johnny Cash had on his show back then! Kind of insulting...he quickly added how pleased he was to have these guests tonight)

Then Mellencamp and Norah Jones also came out, and for the rest of the show, all 5 sat in chairs in a line, and EC went down the line from his left to his right, with each chatting a little, doing a song, sometimes alone, sometimes with some help from the others, and back down the line again, about three times.

Mellencamp sang "Rain on the Scarecrow", "Longest Days" from his new LP, and "Small Town." He and EC talked about their mutual pal T Bone Burnett, whom Mellencamp referred to as "Henry". Kristofferson seemed puzzled and EC told him Henry was T Bone's given name. Kristofferson said "I've known him longer than either one of you, and I never knew that!"

Roseanne sang "The World Unseen", and "Seven Year Ache" (twice, with Norah Jones on backing harmonies). She also debuted "April 5th", the song she co-wrote with EC and Kristofferson, and they sang it as a trio, a highlight of the show.

Elvis used his moments to sing "Down Among the Wines and Spirits" and "Sulfur to Sugar Cane", backed by Leventhal.

Kristofferson was doing his best known stuff, from "Sunday Morning Coming Down" to "Here Comes That Rainbow Again."
He was a hoot most of the night, cracking jokes and undercutting most of the seriousness.

Norah Jones seemed to get short shrift, too bad as she sang beautifully. She did a new song co-written with Ryan Adams that isn't even titled yet, but will probably be called "Light as a Feather." She also did a song with newly discovered lyrics by Hank Williams, which she wrote a melody for. EC sang with her on that. Elvis remarked, as he has before, that Hank Williams is equivalent to Shakespeare in his book. Kristofferson replied, "Shakespeare couldn't yodel."

They wrapped it up by doing a fairly ragged group version of "Me and Bobby McGee", each taking a verse. The ragged part was when they all sang the chorus and then did the "na-na-na" 's at the end. They did a retake on that one which was better, except Kristofferson started laughing at the end.

The real encore (although they did two retakes after it) was a great group version of "Big River", with each taking a verse and EC taking the finish.

I think I remembered all the songs....

I was a little disappointed that the fomrat was diferent, in that I liked the idea of EC singing the guest's song(s) and duetting with the guest more in the earlier shows. He seems to be making it more of a group show, and less about him. As an Elvis fan, that isn't necessarily what I want, but it may be better for the show's popularity.

Anyway, happy to have finally seen a taping.

Dave
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

thanks for the great recap DAVE! anyone go to the JT show this afternoon??? looking forward to your report. thanks, ba
always dancing

Post by always dancing »

Well another great night. I didn't have tickets till the morning from Rosanne's site. When leaving the office I heard the elevator play "Making Whoopie". So I knew I was ready for the road trip. When I got there meet up with Jeff who I also told about Cash's give away. Our seats were next to each other but in the balcony. Jeff had heard from another Elvis fan that he could't go but when he tried to pick up his tixs they asked for ID which he didn't have. I managed to go up and get the tixs and they were 2nd row center. We were set. The rehersal lasted longer so by the time the doors opened and people got there drinks and the show started it was alittle after 8.

This may repeat some of Dave's stuff but here it goes. Elvis came out jeans, black jacket down to his thighs, scarf and black hat. He talked about how Johnny Cash would have a guitar pull were musicians would come to his house and try to out do the other. Kris was one of these people along with a young Rosanne. He than stated he should bring out two people who know more about it than he does and introduced Rosanne and Kris. Rosanne had black pants, boats and a colorfull jacket also to her thighs. Kris had a simple black pants and jacket. Rosanne's husband John Leventhal was in the backround playing on many of the songs. They sang "I Still Miss Someone" (Johnny Cash), twice. He than intorduced John Mellencamp talking alittle about the name changing game. He sang a solo of "Scarecrow" looking good in his jeans and black jacket buttoned down and boots.

The chairs were arranged in a row and all were introduced. All had guitars some two. Kris even picked up someones elses by mistake and Elvis said it was like a guitar store. Cash than sang "World Unseen" from her new album "Black Cadillac". Elvis than talked about his dad and things he told him such as sing down to a note not up. He than sang "Down Among the Wines and Spirits" which was one of the best things all night.

Kris was soft spoken but constantly cracking jokes. He stated he could only follow that song with "Sunday Morin' Comin' Down" Norah seemed shy or just not sure what to do with this group but sang wonderful. She sang "Light as a Feather", a new song written with Ryan Adams. John than did another solo of "Longest Days" from his new album. Somewhere along the line John had to have a cigarette break. You would think one heart attack would make him quit. so we all went to the bathroom.

Elvis, Kris and Rosanne sang a song currently called "April 5th" (or was it 4th ) becuase that was the only day they could get together. Elvis asked for song title suggestions. Rosanne said when she was sick she had a dream that Elvis and Kris were flotting in front of her. So she than called them and asked them if they wanted to do a song. It sounds like she wrote the intial lyrics. Elvis than did "Sulfur to Sugarcane" written while on tour with the Police which was hysterical.

Kris did "Rainbow". Norah than explained that she had been given a book of Hank Williams lyrics (no music) and she picked one out. I am not sure what this song was called and it sounded like she really hadn't played it except in a bar once. I think it was "How Many Times Have You Broken My Heart". This was done twice.

John than did "Smalltown" which seemed like an audience request. During the song you could watch Elvis and Kris watching John play until they both picked up the song and played along. Rosanne, Elvis and Norah did "Seven Year Ache" They all did "Me and Bobby McGee". Kris did "Cry Cry Cry". They than did "Seven Year Ache" and "Me and Boby McGee" again. They ended around 10:15 or so. Unlike the other shows I saw that had more direct interview time this one was packed with music and questions here and there.

On the way home to Philadelphia I stop at a rest stop. In the bathroom they were play John's "Rain on the Scrawcrow". Kinda funny.

I asked about the Herbie Hancock show. I was told by some of the workers that it was great but they could only remember the songs "Watermellon Man" and "Maiden Voyage". No idea what Elvis did. We may never know.

Cheryl
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Reading Cheryl's notes reminded me of a couple more things.

EC prefaced the playing of "Sulfur to Sugar Cane" by relating how on the Dylan tour, he would alter the last verse for each town they played, as I'm sure folks who saw that tour last year remember. Last night, he did a long last verse and did about 6 or 7 of the rhymes, for Bloomington, New York, Ypsilanti, etc.

He was also talking about the experience of doing this TV show and mentioned how amazing it was to get the chance to talk to, and play live with, people he had grown up listening to on the radio and so forth. He then gave as examples, Smokey Robinson, and Sting...still giving the needle to Sting, thank goodness.

By the way, Kris didn't do "Cry Cry Cry"...I think Cheryl's referring to "Big River", which does have the line, "I taught the weeping willow how to cry, cry, cry"...

Dave
always dancing

Post by always dancing »

I bad
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

come on...SOMEONE must have attended the JT taping....need a report please!
always dancing

Post by always dancing »

Funny the JT fans and the Herbie fans are pretty lame. Absolutely no reports on the internet or very weak fan sites. Not like us here. And yes I do have a job I just am often up late and just check you guys out. No more road trips to New York.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

So is that the whole series recorded, now?

Tony Bennett
Elton John
The Police
Bill Clinton
Herbie Hancock
Smokey Robinson
Lou Reed
Jenny Lewis etc
Kris Kristofferson etc
Rufus Wainwright etc

Have I missed any?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Neil. wrote:So is that the whole series recorded, now?

Tony Bennett
Elton John
The Police
Bill Clinton
Herbie Hancock
Smokey Robinson
Lou Reed
Jenny Lewis etc
Kris Kristofferson etc
Rufus Wainwright etc

Have I missed any?
http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... t_Schedule
There' s also the James Taylor recording and the Diana Krall/Elton John recording.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.bumpershine.com/2008/09/22/l ... tunes.html

dacaplan blogs -

The Julian Schnabel directed film version of Lou Reed’s Berlin (which screened recently at the Film Forum) is about to hit the DVD shelves this week (September 30). In addition to the theatrical release, the DVD contains bonus footage featuring Lou’s performance on “Spectacle: Elvis Costello with…” (the taping where I was unceremoniously turned away from the door moments before the show started). I thought it was kind of interesting that this material will be released in DVD format before a single episode of Spectacle has even aired on the Sundance Channel, but I digress.

http://www.amazon.com/Lou-Reed-Berlin/d ... 068&sr=8-2

Lou Reed - Berlin (2008)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/post/63852 ... erlin-2007

On DVD
26 September 2008
Lou Reed’s Berlin (2007)

Bill Gibron

(extract)

As part of the DVD release, there’s a five minute interview with Reed and Schnabel (taken from something called “Spectacle: Elvis Costello with…") that explains some of the motivations behind the album and the movie.
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

This is from a Krall interview in South China Morning Post - sounds like she may have co-hosted the Herbie Hancock episode:
It is 10am in New York and Diana Krall sounds sleepy. She's been up half the night with her twin sons, now nearing the troublesome age of two, and she and husband Elvis Costello only got in at midnight after a full day's work on his new television programme Spectacle: Elvis Costello With... "Not many people within one day get to be interviewed by and play with Elton John, and then interview Herbie Hancock," she explains over the phone. "That was yesterday. No wonder we feel like we've been hit by a truck. Extraordinary. That was our day at the office."
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Does anyone know when this will air in the UK?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A John Mellencamp feature in Mojo (Dec. '08) has these photos -

Text to follow .