Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis/Police, Wantagh, NY Aug. 4/5 '08

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone here going?
alexv

Re: Elvis/Police, Wantagh, NY Aug. 4/5 '08

Post by alexv »

I'll be at tomorrow's show. It will be my 15 year old's first EC show. In return I will be joining her to see something called Cobra Starship at the Nokia in October. Oy. Will report back... on the EC show.
jmm

Post by jmm »

will be there too
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
jmm

Post by jmm »

Good show, Uncompilcated was a nice addition and I think the drop in lyric was from Shotgun - would need to be confirmed if someone taped - and also Go Away

The quality of where the Momofuku songs are the last two nights crys out for a real full scale show - guess we're not likelyto hear that

String proved he really cold play and sing last night (unlike the night before) and The Police set was fun (except for Roxanne that was all over the place)

Setlist

01. Stella Hurt
02. Pump It Up
03. Either Side Of The Same Town
04. Everyday I Write The Book
05. American Gangster Time
06. Uncomplicated - including Shotgun??
07. Flutter & Wow
08. Turpentine
09. Watching The Detectives
10. Alison - with Sting
11. Go Away
12. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.hellomagazine.com/photo-gall ... vis2-a.jpg

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,397781,00.html

(extract)

That was made clear not just by the official performances but by the sound check in the afternoon. That was when about three dozen fans who’d won contests through charities Unitus: Innovative Solutions to Global Poverty (http://www.unitus.com) got to test out their, uh, amateur vocal abilities on stage with the group on songs such as "Every Breath You Take." Ouch!

Opening performer Costello, who’d been jamming with the group just before, was seen scurrying to his dressing room as Sting’s songs faced this good-natured test of resiliency.

Monday night's show featured Sting duet-ing with Costello on his signature hit, "Alison," a kind of historic moment in rock history that I hope someone got on video for YouTube.

The pair, who were never close during their rise to fame and fortune in the early '80s, make such a compelling duo that they are planning to combine forces in Paris this November when they sing in a new opera by Costello keyboardist Steve Nieve called "Welcome to the Voice."

In the meantime, the Police will tape a last TV appearance Wednesday at the Apollo Theater for Costello’s upcoming Sundance Channel series.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

I went last night! Awesome, though it was kind of weird to see Elvis playing to a half-empty house, as people filtered in. I'd never been to a concert at Jones Beach before, it was much nicer than I expected.

Also surprised to see so many people wearing Police t-shirts--I've always been under the impression that it is a faux pas to wear the t-shirt of the band you are going to see perform.
alexv

Post by alexv »

Enjoyed the show. As MBS says, when EC came on (promptly at 7:30) the place was practically empty. The fact that it was the last night of the tour probably made EC itchy to get going. My recollection is that he played (can't remember the order) the following:

Red Shoes
The Beat
Alison (with Sting)
Everyday I write
Watching
Pump
American Gangster
What's so funny
Clubland
Stella
Flutter
Either Side

During What's so funny, Sing, andy and copeland all came out wearing fake EC disguises and wielding guitars and proceeded to mimic our Hero's awkward "rock star" moves. Pretty funny.

The show had a grea vibe, which seemed to stem from the "last night of the tour" feeling. EC was very animated, which given the early start and sparse crowd seemed all the more surprising. During Alison, he and Sting got into a little mutual admiration society bit, which for an old-timer like me, was very amusing. EC called Sting "a prince of a guy" for coming on to sing Alison with him every night of the tour; Sting lauded EC as one of the greatest songwriters of "this or any other century". Nice guys.

Unfortunately, as in way too many of his shows over the years, the sound system during EC's show left a lot to be desired. He practically kicked one of his guitar techies at one point as he struggled to give directions in mid song. This was yet another EC show where it was difficult, once again, to hear the wordsfor many of the songs. For someone like me who's heard a lot of these songs over the years in different settings, that's no big deal. But for newbies, it would be nice if they could understand the lyrics here and there. EC is pretty good at them.

I thought Flutter and Either Side (the crooning EC) were terrific. He was in fine voice and the sound didn't destroy them.

By the time The Police came on, the sun had set (this is a spectacular venue, facing the water, and the weather last night was perfect), the crowd had filled in, and any sound problems had been fixed. Assuming he can afford it, EC should use their sound folks. The Police's set was predictable, but crowd pleasing and beautifully played. Sting had no vocal issues, in fact he sounded great.

Sting, being Sting, made sure folks were able to admire his svelte middle-age physique. Wore a tight body suit kind of thing. When he came on to duet with EC, my daughter noted the contrast between "fat" EC and Sting. Teenagers. At the end of Sting's set, the shirt had come off. He tried to get Copeland to join him, with no success. Wisely, he made no effort in his guitarists' direction. That might have resulted in another of their infamous bouts. Not a good thing on their last show ever ( I wonder if anyone buys that one?).
sabreman

Post by sabreman »

alexv wrote:
Unfortunately, as in way too many of his shows over the years, the sound system during EC's show left a lot to be desired. He practically kicked one of his guitar techies at one point as he struggled to give directions in mid song. This was yet another EC show where it was difficult, once again, to hear the wordsfor many of the songs. For someone like me who's heard a lot of these songs over the years in different settings, that's no big deal. But for newbies, it would be nice if they could understand the lyrics here and there. EC is pretty good at them.
I agree with this 100%. I noticed when he was touring with AT the sound was MUCH better than normal.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Maybe Elvis' sound crew are just not geared up for playing the size of venues they've been playing with The Police. The venues he plays with the Imposters in England are fairly small. The biggest is Hammersmith Apollo in London which holds about 5,000 but everywhere else is about 3,000 capacity.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sabreman

Post by sabreman »

I was talking about small to midsize venues. The sound at the AT shows were excellent. Better than usual IMHO.
jmm

Post by jmm »

From the two shows I saw at different venues the sound at the Police shows seemed designed for the Police - not the opening band.

No surprise but not my preference