Random Thoughts

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
PlaythingOrPet

Re: Random Thoughts

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

It's late, but my condolences also, SoLack.

I've been sea fishing, but only once. Caught 3 pollack, 1 cod, a red gurnard and oodles of mackerel, which isn't bad for a first attempt. We're going to Dorset this weekend so will probably try some shore fishing.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

I swear to god, sometimes I just want to strangle my mother. Whoopity do, I'll be running the dryer at 1:30! Woo! Yeah, it's such a huge deal! Seriously, no matter what I do, she bitches. Bitches all day. Argh!

And before you tell me that it heats up the house, I know. But she just goes on and on...I think she's perimenopausal or something.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

My brother is being re-deployed back to Iraq. Lovely. His third Middle East tour of duty in five years - first Kuwait, then Afghanistan and now Iraq. I know he chose this as his career, but with a newborn son it really sucks.

God this election is crucial.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

I love the Art Museum. I also love how people line up to take pictures with the Rocky statue outside of the museum...
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

What a great Canada Day. A day off in the middle of the week is always a good thing, but this was just about perfect: I woke up after 10am, met some great friends in a park for a super relaxing good time followed by more relaxation and silliness at a pub with a few more more buddies, and home and in bed by a reasonable hour.

I wish every day was so good.
Last edited by RedShoes on Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

America Day is Friday. Some ribs with a dry rub, hopefully way too much to drink and the day off of work! Can't wait. It had better not rain!
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:America Day is Friday. Some ribs with a dry rub, hopefully way too much to drink and the day off of work! Can't wait. It had better not rain!

Sounds cool, WSS, especially the "way too much to drink" part. I'll wish nothing but sunny skies in your direction.
Here comes the mirror man
Says he's a people fan
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I'm gonna be on the South Beach in Miami for my first ever July 4th. I'm in a meeting all day, which will seem a little odd, and then off for firworks, ribs and whatever else comes my way...
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I'm gonna be on the South Beach in Miami for my first ever July 4th. I'm in a meeting all day, which will seem a little odd, and then off for firworks, ribs and whatever else comes my way...
That should be nice.
City of Miami Beach Fourth of July Celebration: This is a truly unique, touching demonstration of our independence. Beginning at 7:30 PM, music by DJ Irie will bring the crowd to its feet. Fireworks will start at nighfall. I can’t think of a more patriotic or more purely Miami way to celebrate! Festivities will be on the beach at 10th Street and Ocean Drive. For more information, call the Miami Beach Tourism Center at (305) 673-7400.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Need help with the word "bugger" from the british folks on this board. Whilst at a party last night, my wife used the word "bugger" several times. The host of the party later scolded her by asking her if she knew what it meant? She answered, no, that she thought is was just something cute that Hugh Grant says in his films and she now uses it all the time, for example, "Bugger, I just spilled my beer". The host said bugger means "up the ass", which was quite an embarassing and disturbing revalation to my wife since she uses it all the time. Whats the scoop on british cursewords? Are they rife with double meanings and extreme vulgarity? Should my wife go back to the old F-bomb standby?
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Well I'm not a brit - but you made me google it, which does indeed confirm that "bugger" seems to imply sodomy...

define: bugger

Though apparently "bugger off" and "bugger all" aren't quite so vulgar?
Mr. Misery

Post by Mr. Misery »

Ambling down the great road of life, I've discovered that no matter how bad things appear to be, they can always get worse.
ImageImage
I've had you so many times but somehow I want more.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

RedShoes wrote:Well I'm not a brit - but you made me google it, which does indeed confirm that "bugger" seems to imply sodomy...

define: bugger

Though apparently "bugger off" and "bugger all" aren't quite so vulgar?
Bugger does mean sodomy.

But "bugger off" and "bugger all" mean "go away" and "nothing". It's very rare for anyone to take offence at the term as used by Mrs Emotional Toothpaste. Best just use the F word and pretend she has Tourette's!

Elvis could have closed Momofuku by calling the last track "Sod Off"!

The English language is a complex thing!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

My brother was admitted to a hospital last night with really severe pain - sounds like he's getting his gall bladder out today or tomorrow.

I know it's a very routine and considered a fairly minor surgery - but it sure makes me wish I didn't live 2500 miles away!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I'm sure everything will be okay. Best wishes.
signed with love and vicious kisses
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Hope everything goes well, Red; I'm the exact same way with even routine surgeries.

I've switched over to the dark side (Firefox). I'm enjoying the spell-check immensely.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Thanks, all. His surgery is done as of late late Wednesday night and he's doing ok though is pretty achy. Today they're going to see if any gall stones "escaped"...I guess he was so inflamed before the surgery they couldn't check for that. Once that's done he should go home within a day.

The fun part is apparently since both of our parents have had gall bladder issues, I'm doomed to have them too. Yay!
verbal gymnastics

RedShoes wrote: The fun part is apparently since both of our parents have had gall bladder issues, I'm doomed to have them too. Yay!
The joys of life...

I hope your brother recovers soon Red.

I have had a week's holiday/vacation and it has rained every day!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

It's utterly horrendous, isn't it? I spent 5 days in Miami, nice and hot, but it rained loads too (especially on the way to the fireworks on July 4). surely this is the wettest year ever? One day of sun for three rain seems to be the pattern. Will we get a summer?

Good to hear your brother's OK, Red. Apparently if you have lots of strawberries without cream, it can enhance gall stones.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Got a call from my brother today, who is homeless in some podunk town called Okmulgee, Oklahoma. Hadn't heard from him in years and I don't know how he ended up there. Told him I would do what I could for him, but he's burned so many bridges most of my family never want to see him again.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I've got a mom kind of like that, WSS. Hurts to not be able to have a "normal" relationship with them, but we do what we have to in order to keep moving. It will take me the rest of my life to get past some of her crap. I hope you have a decent experience with him this time.

Red, I hope your brother is doing well.

Damn. It's really hard work to rip out and redo your kitchen. It's almost done, but so is my sanity.
verbal gymnastics

There never seems to be any let up where houses are concerned does there? I am probably one of the worst people in the world at DIY. At least I realise it and know my limitations eg I am good at hammering nails and using a drill. But I am hopeless at cutting straight lines (you should see me cutting a piece of paper!!!) and putting things together. I take uselessness to a new level :lol: :roll:
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

How did I spend one of my vacation days? Thank you for asking. I finally cleaned my tub. Got down on my hands and knees, filled a bucket with water, and used Ajax. The whole megillah. I cannot imagine doing that task every month!

As I type this I am listening to the radio playing yet another version of John The Revelator. It is being performed by Ollabelle.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

RedShoes wrote:My brother was admitted to a hospital last night with really severe pain - sounds like he's getting his gall bladder out today or tomorrow.

I know it's a very routine and considered a fairly minor surgery - but it sure makes me wish I didn't live 2500 miles away!
My grandpa has the same ailment, Red. I feel the same as you do, wishing I lived closer to him. The really, um, galling thing is that he was about to take a trip... to Galway, Ireland. Which is off now, obviously.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Life really is ironic. Just as I am tiring of my job, getting annoyed with my boss, and actively seeking out new employment, I am being acknowledged for my hard work and dedication. I recently got a raise, and my boss has invited me to join her at an upcoming golf tournament, where our foursome will include the president of one of Canada's largest media companies. Obviously I'd be crazy not to pass it up. It could be a definite career builder.

I guess I'm good at hiding my negative attitude :lol:
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.