Costello at Liverpool Philharmonic 25/06/08

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Re: Costello at Liverpool Philharmonic 25/06/08

Post by johnfoyle »

This has to have been one of the most enjoyable concerts I've seen Elvis perform. It was a splendid mix of the entertaining and the challenging. Continuously engaging , it also served to show an artist content with his ability and confident in his intentions to explore it's limitations. That some of those efforts didn't work made the majority that did all the more thrilling.

None of the pieces were , of course , entirely knew to me. Having been listening to recordings of the 'Il Sogno' shows for the last few years it would be up to this Orchestra's take on them to make them fresh. This they did, in spades. 'Green Shirt' was an especial highlight, the strings being particularly vibrant. 'Detectives was similarly refreshed, just about improving on the Metropole Orkest airings in Holland in '06. If anything , the relative lack of rehearsal served to give an edge to the proceedings, requiring a very concentrated effort by all concerned .

The conceit behind including the Secret Songs was audacious in the extreme. The fact that it has drawn some of the more ignorant reactions ( 'Opera bint' ?!?!) shows Elvis anticipated and probably delights in getting that effect. Having been lucky enough to see the workshop versions of these songs back in '05 , it was a delight to see them finally getting the full orchestral treatment. How Deep Is The Red and She Handed Me A Mirror are still as achingly beautiful . He Has Forgotten Me Completely was less successful. It still shows it's origin as a plot device and will only ever work when delivered by by a more competent stage performer within a drama. By the third performance in '05 Elvis had just about the right pitch for the the line ' Though your voice is so endearing and so tender, you have confused the gender ' ; it was lacking this week. Try as she might Gisela Stille ( still as stunning as she was in '05) just couldn't save it.

The inclusion of them indicates that the 'Songs are still an ongoing project . Elvis' journal reference to them being from an 'unfinished work' suggests he still has hopes for a proper production of the show , as opposed to the atrocity that was presented last year. Great. The songs are there - it just needs a more capable hand at adding in the dialogue and all the other requirements of stage drama.

The casual and understated way Ms Stille's was presented this week was puzzling. Perhaps Elvis decided that to be more detailed in his comments would be tiresome. It would be more effective to merely get on with the performances. It worked. That it irked some people is all the more satisfying. To not expect something as provocative from Elvis is to show a lack of awareness of his basic technique.

In short , this was a show by an artist on the top of his form - it bodes well for anything else he should choose to approach with such vigour.

I'll tell all later this weekend about my other adventures in Liverpool, including a rather eerie and tragicomic few hours I spent in a particularly desolate part of north Birkenhead.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Great show from where I sat too - d / 23 immediately in front of that nice Mr Foyle ( good to meet you John ).

As a Philistine I was fearful of the classical - purist elements before the show. However i was delighted to be proven wrong. Perhaps the first "conventional" songs with the orch had got me in the mood, but I was knocked sideways by Gisela - what a voice - and the single Il signo extract blew me away too.

My critical faculties are pretty much suspended when Elvis comes on stage but I didn't really see him put a foot wrong all night.

Since Elvis now seems to be restricting his English appearances to shows in Liverpool around his Mum's birthday, I am already looking forward to seeing him next June/July in my / EC's hometown.

Colin

(aka Top Balcony - seat 32 row B - Evertonians are born not manufactured, we do not choose, we are chosen, those who understand need no explanation, those who don't...)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Some snaps -

Harry Worth

Post by Harry Worth »

I found it was far, far better than expected. Wonderful sound (even though I was up in the cheap seats at the back), slight edgy nervousness to the performance.

Looking forward to listening again, thank you sweetest punch.
blooch

Post by blooch »

Hey Harry Worth can you still do that thing with your arm and leg?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://louisebaldock.blogspot.com/2008/ ... etime.html

Louise Baldock of the Labour Party blogs her appreciation of the show ; she forgets to comment on Elvis' words on stage about not believing he'd live to see the day that a Labour prime minister would lead the U.K. into an 'illegal war'.
Harry Worth

Post by Harry Worth »

blooch wrote:Hey Harry Worth can you still do that thing with your arm and leg?
You mean like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaTxTPAMduM ?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.liverpool.com/gig-reviews/re ... -hall.html

REVIEW: Elvis Costello & RLPO, Philharmonic Hall

by Alan O'Hare

The punk wars were fought for that?

Dead right. Elvis Costello gave Hope Street's Philharmonic Hall a performance those present will remember forever last night.

Vibrant. Alive. Inspired. Confrontational. We're running out of superlatives here. But one thing's for sure: all Costello did last night, was what he's done his whole musical life.

But differently. He worked very hard in the first half to keep the crowd with him, as conductor Clark Rundell lead the RLPO through minor key masterpiece's such as All This Useless Beauty, The Girl In The Other Room and a positively pitch black Almost Blue.

And true, he almost lost us with The Secret Songs suite - as Gisela Stille's startling soprano placed a stranglehold on the old-school Costello fans - but an uplifting and not untypical arrangement of The Birds Will Still Be Singing captured the crowd's attention again.

He never looked back from there. The second half was quite simply one of the most powerful artistic performances we've ever seen live and Costello's singing was piercing and true. Stunning renditions of North's You Left Me In The Dark and Still opened the set up and hits like Green Shirt and Veronica - performed relatively straight, the latter with Costello battering a 12 string acoustic guitar - were greeted like long-lost relatives by a captivated audience.

And then came Shipbuilding. That song, performed in this city and sung by that voice will stay with those present for a very long time - as an arrangement that dazzled and dipped perfectly complemented Costello's jazz-tinged delivery. Wonderful.

A sold-out Phil was nearly on its knees by this point as we flew into the home straight with the classics: Watching The Detectives (swinging like Sinatra in Vegas), She (doing exactly what it says on the tin) and the Burt Bacharach co-write God Give Me Strength, melting the concert hall where years earlier the singer's mum had worked as an usherette. Breathtaking.

We realise we're gushing here, but it really was that good. "There's yer' Capital of Culture" bellowed Costello, at the end of the delicate - but lyrically deadly - I Still Have That Other Girl. He took another standing ovation and then launched into the night's highlight ...

And how ironic, that on a night filled with the wonder of a world class orchestra, it was a simple, three minute pop song that stole the show. Alison had them standing in the aisles before the encores and when Costello started singing Smokey Robinson's The Tracks Of My Tears during the long fade, the night was complete and a perfect circle, well, completed.

That circle is that Elvis Costello has taken his seat at the top table of songwriters and performers alive today. Springsteen, Dylan, McCartney - whoever, Declan MacManus can stand alongside them without fear or reprisal.

The encores? Who knows - by this time, we were beat. A solo performance of new song My Three Sons was nice and the completely unplugged (all mics off) Couldn't Call It Unexpected No. 4 was a suitably startling finish to a sparkling night.

He might not have been here on June 1 (and he let the hushed crowd know who was to blame for that) - but the Liverpool Sound is now a distant memory.
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

What's the reference to July 1st? Why couldn't EC be in Liverpool and why does the reviewer imply the audience would know who was responsible for that????? Confused.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

See-

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... ilit=Grohl

June 1st was when Macca did his big show at Anfield for the Liverpool Year of Culture etc. Elvis was tipped to be a guest. However - and I haven't really followed it very closely - there was all kind of talk about misuse of funds etc. leading up to it and , in the end, he wasn't. Last week on stage in Liverpool Elvis made some kind of comment about hoping the year of culture works out etc. He continued with some words about how he had heard all kind of stories which drew a loud ' They're all true!' shout. After a general laugh/cheer Elvis responded '....and that's why I wasn't here on June 1st , but that's a story for another day'.
Last edited by johnfoyle on Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

Mikeh

(I was that soldier)

it went something like this :

EC "... have a great rest of the city of culture year.. but you hear some bad things, I hope they're not all true..."

Me - from the seat in front of john Foyle, loudly " they are all true..."

EC ( hearing me) " oh so they're all true ? well I should have been here on 1st of June but that's a story for annother day..."

for the purposes of this story "the bad things" is a referrence to the infighting in Livepool City Counci / Capital of Culture Company echelons - couldn't organise a decent party in a brewery - and 1st June 2008 was the Liverpool Sounds concert with Macca / Zutons / Kaiser Chiefs, but not Elvis! Since the show was at Analfield( sorry i'm a blue) then I can't imagine he would have lightly missed an opportunity to perform, probably in a red shirt with Carling on it. My guess is that a fee was agreed and then when the event was scaled down - at one point LCC/ CoCC were planning to drain one of the docks near the pier head and build an arena just for the show - they offerred him less dosh and he pulled his own plug. Anyawy thats how I read the tea leaves...

Colin

(aka Top Balcony - seat 32 row B - Evertonians are born not manufactured, we do not choose, we are chosen, those who understand need no explanation, those who don't...)
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Top balcony wrote:it went something like this :

EC "... have a great rest of the city of culture year.. but you hear some bad things, I hope they're not all true..."

Me - from the seat in front of john Foyle, loudly " they are all true..."

EC ( hearing me) " oh so they're all true ? well I should have been here on 1st of June but that's a story for annother day..."

for the purposes of this story "the bad things" is a referrence to the infighting in Livepool City Counci / Capital of Culture Company echelons - couldn't organise a decent party in a brewery - and 1st June 2008 was the Liverpool Sounds concert with Macca / Zutons / Kaiser Chiefs, but not Elvis! Since the show was at Analfield( sorry i'm a blue) then I can't imagine he would have lightly missed an opportunity to perform, probably in a red shirt with Carling on it. My guess is that a fee was agreed and then when the event was scaled down - at one point LCC/ CoCC were planning to drain one of the docks near the pier head and build an arena just for the show - they offerred him less dosh and he pulled his own plug. Anyawy thats how I read the tea leaves...

Colin
I'm still waiting for the story as to why he didn't play the Sony Bob Dylan Anniversary show way back when.

I should have emailed the question of why EC didn't play the Macca show to Wirral News!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Independent ( London) has a 'readers review' feature and - gosh golly - they've just told me they hope to use my review of Elvis Costello in Liverpool in their Friday ( July 4th) issue. It doesn't usually appear in their 'net edition so if you want to read my priceless prose ( what I posted here plus a bit) you'll have to get a print edition.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

From listserv - Chris writes

>
> They've obviously recognised your genius, Mr Foyle, and
> made it available
> online! Very nice!
>
> http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 59868.html
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/FoyleReview
>

This is the text I submitted - the published one is way better!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Elvis Costello continued in his own contrary way in Liverpool last week. Ostensibly as part of the Liverpool European Capital of Culture, this show with the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra was one of only two shows Elvis , now primarily a Canadian resident, will perform in the U.K. this year. Never mind that his latest 'rock' album Momofuku has received some the best reviews of his career. He, it seems , intends spending most of his time recording a interview show for tv and fine tuning a score with the Miami Ballet . As someone who has gladly traveled to see him in the six years since he has played in Ireland ('when Hell freezes over' was his succinct response when I asked him at a autograph session when he may again appear in Dublin) the hop over the Irish sea was a blessedly easy task.

This has to have been one of the most enjoyable concerts I've seen Elvis perform. It was a splendid mix of the entertaining and the challenging. Continuously engaging , it also served to show an artist content with his ability , in splendid voice and confident in his intentions to explore it's limitations. That some of those efforts didn't work made the majority that did all the more thrilling.

None of the pieces were , of course , entirely knew to me. Having been listening to recordings of the 'Il Sogno' shows he has been doing for the last few years it would be up to this Orchestra's take on them to make them fresh. This they did, in spades. 'Green Shirt' was an especial highlight, the strings being particularly vibrant. Watching The Detectives was similarly refreshed, just about improving on the performance I saw him do with Metropole Orkest in Holland in '06. If anything , the relative lack of rehearsal served to give an edge to the proceedings, requiring a very concentrated effort by all concerned .

The conceit behind including the Secret Songs ( from a Hans Christen Anderson opera Elvis wrote in 2005) was audacious in the extreme. The fact that it has drawn some hostile reactions from fans shows Elvis anticipated and probably delights in getting that effect. Having been lucky enough to see , in Copenhagen, the workshop versions of these songs back in '05, it was a delight to see them finally getting the full orchestral treatment. How Deep Is The Red and She Handed Me A Mirror are still as achingly beautiful . He Has Forgotten Me Completely was less successful. It still shows it's origin as a plot device and will only ever work when delivered within a drama by a more competent stage performer. By the third performance in Denmark Elvis had just about the right pitch for the the line 'Though your voice is so endearing and so tender, you have confused the gender ' ; it was lacking last week. Try as she might Gisela Stille (depicting Anderson deity
Jenny Lind ; still as stunning as she was in '05) just couldn't save it. It was , for me , the evening's highlight.

The inclusion of them indicates that the 'Songs are still an ongoing project . Elvis's online journal refers to them being from an 'unfinished work' suggesting he still has hopes for a proper production of the show , as opposed to the atrocity that was the supposedly 'full production' that was presented in Copenhagen last year. Great. The songs are there - it just needs a more capable hand at adding in the dialogue and all the other requirements of stage drama.

The casual and understated way Ms Stille was presented last week was puzzling. Perhaps Elvis decided that to be more detailed in his comments would be tiresome. It would be more effective to merely get on with the performances. It worked. That it irked some people is all the more satisfying. To not expect something as provocative from Elvis is to show a lack of awareness of his basic technique.

The sold out Philharmonic Hall was in raptures by the end of the night, giving Elvis numerous standing ovations. He bantered with the audience , referring to the part of his childhood spent by the Mersey.He expressed a hope that the 'Culture' year would be of benefit but didn't argue with an doubting audience member.

In short , this was a show by an artist on the top of his form - it bodes well for anything else he should choose to approach with such vigour.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The print edition looks like this-

Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Has anyone got a good copy of this show? I downloaded from the blog mentioned earlier in this thread but it doesn't seem to work too well for me. Each track cuts off before the end of the song! I can swap or send CDRs!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Has anyone got a good copy of this show?
'Sulky Lad' made what he believes to have been a good recording. However he had the cheek to go of on holidays with his family two days after the Liverpool show. Due back this weekend ( I think) he promises to prepare and post the recording as soon as possible after that.
Shankly

Post by Shankly »

johnfoyle wrote:
Has anyone got a good copy of this show?
'Sulky Lad' made what he believes to have been a good recording. However he had the cheek to go of on holidays with his family two days after the Liverpool show. Due back this weekend ( I think) he promises to prepare and post the recording as soon as possible after that.
I contacted Sulky Lad on Monday - he's back from his hols and said he'd put the show up on Dime by Tuesday - it's not there yet, so I assume he's been held up in some way. I expect it will be there soon
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Hi, as Shanks said (apart from it's not a matter of life or death ....)
I'm still trying to upload the show to dime. My problem is, I recorded it at 48 kHz, 24 bit and I can't seem to find a way to convert the recording to 16 bit 44.1 kHz. Can anyone advise how ? I've had a look on Nero, my usual wave editing software and it fails to recognise the files direct from my flash recorder. Any hints would obviously speed the process, thanks
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Either contact the moderators at dime or post a query on dimes yahoo message board, either should do the trick. Looking forward to it, many thanks.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

LEONARD HODGKINSON has sent this great photo -

Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

For a moment there I thought Elvis had replicated.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
migdd

Post by migdd »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:For a moment there I thought Elvis had replicated.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm with you there, Otis. If Elvis could play the Melodica, it would be a tough call!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Surely, Otis, you mean if Elvis could play the piano !! :lol:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

sulky lad wrote:Surely, Otis, you mean if Elvis could play the piano !! :lol:
A definite winner!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?