Costello at Liverpool Philharmonic 25/06/08

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Re: Costello at Liverpool Philharmonic 25/06/08

Post by johnfoyle »

A Liverpool 'paper have, a promo for this show, reprinted most of Elvis' recent comments about the city-

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpoo ... -21066481/
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Tickets are still available for this show.

I have an early meeting in London on Thursday morning so there's no chance of me going to this one.

Sulky Lad is going though.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This extract from Elvis' recent journal entry is a handy guide to this show -

http://www.elviscostello.com/web/guest/ ... urce=30745

For those of you considering attending the concert with the Royal Scottish National Orchestra at the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall on the 22nd of June – and that's an awful lot of "Royal" - you might care to know what you will hear. I can assure you that fancy or formal dress will not be required.

For the last couple of years, Steve Nieve and I have been appearing with orchestras from Honolulu to Houston, from Chicago to Baltimore and, most recently, from Nashville to Minnesota. The repertoire has developed and changed radically since the year 2000, when these adventures began.

This concert in Glasgow and another with the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic on the 25th of June will be the first to consist almost entirely of orchestral arrangements of songs.

Previously, we featured a 30-minute suite from the ballet score, "Il Sogno" and it had been erroneously stated that half of the Glasgow concert would consist of instrumental music.

However, as a guest of these orchestras, I think it is only good manners that they be heard before I enter the scene and start singing. So only a brief, overture-length excerpt from "Il Sogno" will be played, followed by a programme of songs dating from 1977 to the present day.

These dates will be my first collaboration with these orchestras and the conductor, Clark Rundell. We will also be joined by the rhythm section of Chris Laurence on bass and Martin France on drums with Rob Buckland taking care of the saxophone features in a number of the arrangements.

This team will surely make short work of the more rhythmic songs; a 50s detective-theme arrangement of "Watching the Detectives", Vince Mendoza's psychedelic chart for the Billy Strayhorn composition, "Blood Count", for which I wrote words and re-titled, "My Flame Burns Blue" and the Charles Mingus number, "Hora Decubitus."

These concerts obviously feature more ballad material than rock and roll but both Steve Nieve and I have continued to add to book of arrangements.

Some of this orchestration work was actually done while traveling, as I sensed the elements needed for a more balanced programme.

I wrote the arrangement of "All This Useless Beauty" while trapped in my hotel room by monsoon rains prior to our Honolulu dates of two years ago. Shortly before our last orchestral dates in the autumn of 2007, I arranged a song that I co-wrote with my wife, Diana, called, "The Girl in the Other Room."

Steve Nieve's version of "Greenshirt" is one of my personal favourites, making imaginative use of the woodwind section and calling for one of the percussionists to play an old manual typewriter.

At the end of 2007, I made an orchestral transcription of Chet Baker's trumpet solo from "Shipbuilding" and was amazed to find that with very little additional harmonization, his spontaneous inventions could provide nearly all of the material for the orchestra. In a way, the arrangement is really his work.

There are some songs that lend themselves very obviously to the orchestral setting. We usually feature a couple of songs from the album, "Painted From Memory", a full-string orchestra version of "Still" from "North" and the Charles Azanavour tune, "She."

Some songs have been adapted or re-arranged from my work with the Brodsky Quartet. Richard Harvey – with whom I co-wrote the music for the television drama series, "G.B.H." – provided a beautiful, full-orchestral setting of "Birds Will Still Be Singing" from "The Juliet Letters."

My arrangement of "Almost Blue" was begun for string quartet, as an encore tune on "The Juliet Letters" world tour and has been adapted and expanded until it now features the entire orchestra and closing bars in which I do something unspeakable at the piano, while Steve Nieve takes a solo on the melodica.

The concerts will also include the first full-orchestral performances of three excerpts from "The Secret Songs", an unfinished work that was commissioned by the Royal Danish Opera as part of the Hans Christian Andersen bicentenary celebrations of 2005.

My version of Andersen story centres on his infatuation with the renowned Swedish soprano, Jenny Lind, who provided the inspiration for a number of his most famous tales and yet rejected his romantic advances, which were feeble at best.

In 1850 the "Divine Jenny" Lind undertook an American concert tour, the first of its kind in scope and acclaim, promoted by the showman P.T. Barnum.

There was certainly a marked contrast in the way the two men regarded and were motivated by Lind. Andersen elevated her to a pedestal of virtuous womanhood and artist ideal, while to Barnum she was more of a marketable entity.

One of the themes of Andersen's story - that of a misfit in love with an unattainable woman - was of particular interest to me and can be clearly understood in the three numbers which will be performed.

Gisela Stille,
who sang in the Lind part in the Copenhagen premiere of a "work-in-progress" song cycle in 2005, will sing, "How Deep Is the Red?" – an imagined folk riddle performed on the first occasion Andersen encounters the singer.

This will be followed a ballad in which Andersen recounts Lind's romantic rejection. The title of the piece notes Lind's response when Andersen asked why she could not return his love: "She Handed Me a Mirror".

Finally, a duet, "He Has Forgotten Me Completely" – part of a dream in which Andersen imagines Lind performing his "secret songs" – which stand for the tales that she inspired in real life.

The Glasgow concert will be followed by an appearance at the Philharmonic Hall in Liverpool on the 25th of June.

My Ma worked as an unpaid, volunteer usher at "The Phil" in the late 40s and early 50s, so it is something of a family reunion to be playing at this venerable institution.

Clark Rundell.

http://divine-art.com/AS/clarkrundell.htm

Chris Laurence
http://www.chrislaurencebass.com/

Martin France
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_France

Rob Buckland
http://www.robbuckland.com/

Gisela Stille

http://www.naxos.com/artistinfo/Gisela_Stille/13130.htm

Fan forum accounts of the '05 Secret Songs shows -

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... C&start=50
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Who else here is going to this?

I travel to Liverpool tomorrow ( Tues) evening. On Wednes. morning I'm going to the Klimt exhibit at the Tate. I have rough plans to meet a few people in the afternoon before the show. If anyone else wants to join us, great.
PM me.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

The Klimt should be great. Grand day out! I'll be watching Radiohead and wondering how Elvis is going down, if I think about anything other than 'Wow!' or 'I wonder how many songs I'll miss if I have to find a toilet.'
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Unfortunately, I won't be back home to see Elvis tomorrow but I'll be taking the boy to the Klimt exhibition mid August. Show him some real culture. :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Deportee

Post by Deportee »

I'll be arriving in Liverpool around lunchtime and doing a bit of sightseeing as, apart from a match at Goodison, I've never been to Liverpool. Is there somewhere folks are meeting up beforehand? If you see a lonely 50-something in a Who hoodie, that'll be me!
Cheers,

Jim.

PS Won't be able to access site after 8.30am tomorrow.
Partick Thistle - The Greatest Thing
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Looking forward to the Liverpool gig and to seeing Mr Foyle again.

If you're looking to meet up beforehand, I would recommend either the Everyman Theatre Bistro (downstairs) on Hope Street (which runs between the City's two cathedrals) :

http://www.everyman.co.uk/downloads/daily_menu.pdf

if you want to eat and celebrity spot, or the Philharmonic Pub also on Hope Street, if you want to drink.

As the name suggests, the pub is across the road from the Philharmonic Hall.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/content/ ... _360.shtml
http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/content/ ... _360.shtml

Don't forget to visit the Gents whilst you're at the pub (assuming you're male), to admire the decor.

MOOT
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Both of those places will be absolutely packed! I recommend Peter Kavanagh's, a 5 minute walk away - much better than the tourist traps around the venue.

From the Phil head towards the Anglican Cathedral (don't get it confused with the Catholic one!) on Hope Street until you get to Canning Street. Turn left, walk up to the traffic lights then turn right. Stay on the left of Catharine St for a two min walk until you get to Egerton St where PK's is, just before the traffic lights on Upper Parliament St.

I wonder if Mr Foyle or the others will actually see this? :lol:
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

It was great to see John, Misha, Colin, Nick and the lady who's name I didn't catch at the Philharmonic. John was the first person I recognised as I drove down Hope Street in the afternoon. He was looking dapper in fawn linen jacket and wasn't taking photographs as I zoomed past. Elvis seemed delighted to be playing in Liverpool and performed virtually the same show as Glasgow - but this time I have successfully recorded the show. As I fly to Skiathos at 8 am tomorrow I'll not be putting it on dime until I get back, as Mrs SL won't let me off packing, mowing lawns, walking dogs and tidying the Costello room (whoops, guest bedroom). :roll:
Looking forward to all the reviews !
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Some thoughts about last night. Well, it was spectacular and I must admit I have never seen a live ordhestra before. I was nervous just watching them tuning up! EC had the orchestra and audience behind him, and a full house in front. I was surprised he could find a way through to the front of the stage, it was so crowded up there.

It did look and sound impressive. Set list the same as Glasgow - Was any of Il Sogno included? They did play something instrumental when EC went off for a few minutes. I did enjoy it, and surprisingly She was one of the highlights for me, but not sure I like the Mingus stuff.

I couldn't help wishing a was at an Imposters gig!
I saw Alan Bleasedale, but then I have seen him at every Liverpool EC show I have been to. Not sure if EC's mum was there.

Before the show I went up the tower of the Anglican cathedral. Now THAT was scary! Just thought I'd tell you that.

I saw a man in a hoody with THE WHO on it but I did not read the post til this morning. Sorry, I would have talked to you!
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Ian H. writes on the eclistserv

I'd had a bad feeling about this ever since I realised he was performing
with the Phil. Reading the Glasgow review earlier in the week didn't lift my
mood. I, too, just don't understand the appeal of opera - I've tried and
tried and tried and... well, you get the picture. So, the thoughts of EC
dredging up Il Sogno (which I still haven't managed to listen to all the way
through...) inter alia, made me nervous. As we got into the car, my wife
said to me 'You don't want to go to this, do you?' - she was right...

It's a summer's night, sun is shining, Philharmonic Hall is a fantastic
venue, maybe I've got it wrong. Set opener, ATUB, put me in a better frame
of mind, but short-lived. Dreary arrangement after dreary arrangement
followed and then we hit the 'opera bit' - the absolute nadir of the evening
and a complete load of self-indulgent, ear-ache. I can't even remember the
rest of the 1st half - totally forgettable.

Polite comments in the interval - 'It's different...', 'I liked the
orchestra...'. Gouging your eyes out with red hot spoons is different, but
you wouldn't want to do it...Our man needed to buck his ideas up, 2nd half.

And he did. Elvis does upbeat very well. Lots of the old classics given a
new spin and arrangements were much livelier. Standout for me was God Give
Me Strength, in which he did go for the high parts (and was largely
successful with) at the end of the song.

So, riding high, he then finishes with some absolute twaddle which he
thought had a hum/sing-a-long chorus (and tried to get audience to
hum/sing-a-long) but would not have been out of place played over some
marathon, black & white documentary on the austerity of post-war Germany.
Absolute mood-killer!!!

It was clearly evident that these arrangements needed more work. Elvis made
the comment that they'd started rehearsing the day before and I think it
showed. The musicianship was generally faultless and I found myself wishing
on several occasions that Elvis would shut the f*ck up so I could listen to
the orchestra. Conversely, I also wanted the orchestra to back off a bit,
sometimes, and just let him do his stuff with guitar.

So, a real mixed bag. Some real highlights but some absolutely desperate
lows

RLPO were majestic (I'm biased, coming from Liverpool) - 10/10
Steve Nieve - beautifully underplayed his contribution - 9/10
Opera bint - excellent technical ability (but I still don't get it) - 7/10
EC - let's hope he's got this out of his system now ( I fear not though...)
5/10
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Some funny things from last night - EC fluffed his lines on at least 2 songs, Shipbuilding and Accidents will happen. These are songs he has sung many times without any mishap, but as soon as he has a lyric sheet he cocks it up.

During Couldn't call it unexpected, he got down from the stage rather awkwardly to ecourage the audience in the "Doo Doo Doo bits." Did he realise he wouldn't be able to get back up again? We held our breath in anticipation but he managed to go out the exit door and magically reappear on stage in Michael Jackson fashion.

The "bring the boys back home" line in The Scarlet Tide" did not produce its normal round of applause as it usually does.

I agree with the last poster in some ways. I am glad to have seen the show, but with a great new album let's have a good n loud Imposters tour!
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Indeed, Mike, a proper band show would be great. I'm off to Cork to see Neil Young this Monday. If it wasn't for that I'd probably have traveled to Poland this weekend. We can live in hope.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Back in Dublin ; comments to follow when my mind is a bit unscrambled !

'Paper reviews -

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpoo ... -21154655/

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liv ... -21154887/#

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

This blog has the complete show in MP3:
http://burtonbootlegger.blogspot.com/20 ... rpool.html
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Deportee

Post by Deportee »

Well, I enjoyed it! These shows are there to be enjoyed just for the uniqueness of the occassion. Ok, the Secret Songs bit wasn't great in the big Costello scheme of things, but it wasn't bad either. (It's hardly self indulgent if someone asks you to do it though IMO). Well worth the trip up from Wiltshire.

Thought the Beatles Show exhibition was great as well! But boy did the planners get it wrong for the European City of Culture 2008. More like City of Building Sites.

Didn't walk up Hope Street far enough beforehand, so didn't see Everyman bar until after the gig, so sorry for the no-show.
Partick Thistle - The Greatest Thing
mrblister

Post by mrblister »

Hi there - I made the recording of last night's Elvis gig (at the Burton Bootlegger site) referred to a couple of posts above. I'd just like to say don't download it expecting hi-fi quality - its fairly basic. Unfortunately, because my new mic didn't arrive in the post in time I had to use a crappy old mono one that wasn't really up to the job - it gives periodic clicks and hisses as if you are listening to vinyl.
But you can use it to get an idea of what ,in my opinion, was a quality show.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Apart from some rustling as I adjusted the mike position, I can assure people my recording from last night is damn fine and is digital so please bear with me ,as I'm away on holiday for a week but it'll be up as soon as I get back.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

mrblister wrote:Hi there - I made the recording of last night's Elvis gig (at the Burton Bootlegger site) referred to a couple of posts above. I'd just like to say don't download it expecting hi-fi quality - its fairly basic. Unfortunately, because my new mic didn't arrive in the post in time I had to use a crappy old mono one that wasn't really up to the job - it gives periodic clicks and hisses as if you are listening to vinyl.
But you can use it to get an idea of what ,in my opinion, was a quality show.
I'm listening to it right now: sound is not that bad! Great show.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
mrblister

Post by mrblister »

sulky lad wrote:Apart from some rustling as I adjusted the mike position, I can assure people my recording from last night is damn fine and is digital so please bear with me ,as I'm away on holiday for a week but it'll be up as soon as I get back.
Excellent - I look forward to hearing it. Do you post on Dime or within this forum?
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

sulky lad wrote:As I fly to Skiathos at 8 am tomorrow I'll not be putting it on dime until I get back
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

When Steve came on, did anyone notice him trying to watch the conductor for his cue. He kept bobbing up and down as the grand piano lid was in the way. It reminded me of that Morecambe & Wise sketch with Andre Previn.
Shankly

Post by Shankly »

sulky lad wrote:Apart from some rustling as I adjusted the mike position, I can assure people my recording from last night is damn fine and is digital so please bear with me ,as I'm away on holiday for a week but it'll be up as soon as I get back.
Fantastic - can't wait to hear this. I was at the show and thought it was a wonderful performance. I saw Elvis last time he was at the Phil (1/11/84) and it was certainly a very different event!

I was hoping that someone would be recording it. I've seen a few videos on youtube which were quite good, but a decent quality download of the whole show will be graet. Thanks very much for recording it.