Is the tribute CD a dead concept?

Pretty self-explanatory
BlueChair

Is the tribute CD a dead concept?

Post by BlueChair »

I've tried to make an effort lately of sparking enthusiasm over the completion of our tribute CD, but am noticing:

a) people who said they would contribute are now backing out, or remaining eerily silent which implies they are trying to distance themselves from the project.
b) technical difficulties not getting resolved, making it pointless to set deadlines anymore.
c) a general mood of apathy

Correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe I was naive to think we could actually manage something like this. :(
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Yeah, I'm guilty of a little of a (a) and a little of (c). Sorry for not PMing you.

About a month ago I knocked out a version of Black Sails, spent about two evenings tinkering with it, then became very dissatisfied with it and forgot about it. Today, I fired up the portastudio and was suprised at how not bad it was: I mean, it is ropey, has no bass, but it has soul!!!! I guess that's always the way.

If I had the time/motivation/talent I'd redo it superstylee, or maybe I'll encode the one I have done and you can say what you think.

Why don't we do a CD where we each contribute an original number? I'm sure the (frustrated) musicians here have songs already done and knocking around.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Branst

Post by Branst »

I could contribute a cover if there's any open spaces from people backing out.
Ha' Penny Millionaire

Post by Ha' Penny Millionaire »

Branst, I promised a cover of "Party Girl," and have not yet delivered. Since we're both in Omaha, perhaps we could collaborate. I don't have ProTools or any such like, so I'm somewhat technologically handicapped.
It's a living, this is the life.
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

Blue,

I will come through. I need till at least a week from Friday.
bobster

Post by bobster »

Sorry to hear this may have run out of steam, but (speaking from the safe vantage of a non-musician), it times to get re-inspired, folks!

If you need help, go see "School of Rock"...seriously. Actually inspiring.

In fact, it got me so inspired I watched some "easy piano" guy on PBS today and am fired up to figure out how to play "the easy way" and "the way the pros do". At this rate, I'll be beating you guys with my only warbled version of "Just a Memory" -- and that's something NOBODY needs!
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I am touched by this new stream of enthusiasm. Thanks folks. :D

Okay, we're going to do this, damnit!

By the way, Dr J I think your idea for sharing originals is an interesting one too. I have a bunch of original compositions already recorded (at least, roughly)
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

Yeah, c'mon, all...

Have been harassing the "non-musical" board members to death for graphics contributions, and for a while, it really DID seem that some folk were apathetic...

My BAD!!

When it came down to the wire (the first deadline), the contributions came POURING in, so much so that we've had to expand the graphics.

I REALLY am looking forward to seeing the Artists/Track list, and making the most of it on this project...I have faith in you all!!

I know how hard it is (sometimes) to find the time to get here (the board, I mean)...you've noticed my recent lack of posts, due to my new promotion/demotion, but I have been spending as much of my free time as possible taking your suggestions/recommendations to heart, and implementing them in the CD art.

I really would love to see this project come to fruition...somehow, I feel we've all become a little closer for the collaboration.

And, for those of you who HAVE already uploaded to the FTP site, please PM me (or, send via e-mail) the tracks that you've uploaded, and how you want to be credited (real name? board name?? band name??? another alias????) Please remember, the final edit/track list will be at Blue's discretion, but it would be nice if I could continue my work on the layouts.

Nag, nag, nag----

--sulky
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Well my track is all ready to go - just have to convert it to MP3 - is the upload working now?

I dont think contributors should worry about the quality of their tracks - no bass etc - its the soul/feel of the song that counts - and if you get some of that on yer track I wouldnt worry too much about the sound qaulity/technical quality - these are just home recordings (for the most part) after all!
So come on now - remember - if yer like me your your own worst critic!
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

P.S

I still think you should do "My Science Fiction Twin" Bobster.

:shock:
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

I have to say that my heart sank a bit when I saw this topic posted. I'm not a musical contributor (but I sure wish I was!) so I kind of feel awkward saying anything about it but.....it's such a great idea. It has so much feeling and enthusiasm behind it from each member of this board. You know it does...because whether you are cruising this board silently as an interested observer or you're a full-fledged member adding your 300th post and everyone in between.....you are a serious fan. Your average EC fan does not have this site on his list of favorite internet sites! Meaning....we all are interested and are excited and care about this humble little undertaking. C'mon, it's a really cool idea and I think Elvis would be totally flattered as hell to receive such a heartfelt endeavor. It's the greatest compliment one could give, even if it's not the polished, professional masterpiece you might like it to be.
Plus it would be such a shame for all the hard work of all those who have taken the time to give what they've done to be all for nothing.
I think Mike Boom is right...we are always our own worst critic.
So you guys need to hand in your assignments so the teacher (Mr. Bluechair) can look them over and let you know whether you've made the grade.
And you know, who would know better than EC what it takes and how it is to make a home recording and making due with what you've got available? Have you forgotten the "bedroom tapes"? I think that makes it all the more meaningful. Really, I do.
Believe me, I'm no cheerleader. I just was really excited to see you all try and pull this off. It's gonna be really cool! I hope it works out!
I'm not angry anymore....
Branst

Post by Branst »

Ha' Penny Millionaire wrote:Branst, I promised a cover of "Party Girl," and have not yet delivered. Since we're both in Omaha, perhaps we could collaborate. I don't have ProTools or any such like, so I'm somewhat technologically handicapped.
I'd like to give it a shot. I'll try and get in contact with you through Private message or e-mail.

When is the deadline for submissions?
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Let's put on a show!

Oliver's Army is still in. We have booked recording studio time expressly for this project. PLEASE DON'T CANCEL ON US. We will supply at least 3-4 tracks for you to choose from. More if you like.

C'mon, folks. Record away. It's for Elvis.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
Misha

Post by Misha »

Alright you lazy fucking bastards, get off your asses and get recording!! Hell, if I can't record anything, without violating some kind of noise ordinance, I can yell!!

If you do sing/play/bang stuff, record now!!!! Call in those favors!! Blue and Sulky are workin like dogs here!!!

Get your butt up and record!!!

RECORD NOW!!!

Don't make me get the belt!!!..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
Smallfaces1

C'mon

Post by Smallfaces1 »

I can't believe so many of you can't cut the mustard! although now i only want submit one track (just a memory) i did work pretty hard on it and only for one reason! so we could get this damn tribute CD done!i should have spent my time more wisely on my own stuff!

slightly angry.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Smallfaces1, don't fret, this is happening.

Someone suggested this would make a good christmas present for Elvis from us. I don't see why we can't have it finished by then.
Smallfaces1

i've an idea!

Post by Smallfaces1 »

How about we send EC a 3 or 4 track EP? do you think we could manage that?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

We'd probably end up with more than 3 or 4 tracks, but a shorter-length disc actually might not be a bad idea. Elvis might be more prone to listen to it if it's not as long.

We'll see how many submissions go through.

FYI all, taz is working to fix the FTP problems so hopefully we can start getting these submissions uploaded soon!