'Lost Highway will release Momofuku from Elvis Costello'

Pretty self-explanatory
migdd

Re: 'Lost Highway will release Momofuku from Elvis Costello'

Post by migdd »

Momofuku is beginning to have a presence on the Lost Highway website:

http://www.losthighwayrecords.com/artis ... 49&aid=175

I'll bet there'll be more and more support as the record makes it to the public and the tour is in full swing.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

And No Coffee Table wrote:[When we don't even know until now that Jenny Lewis and David Hidalgo are on the album, it can only be because of deliberate secrecy.
Oddly enough, it looks like those details appeared on an Italian website on April 12.
“Momofuku” è il nuovo album di ELVIS COSTELLO, un disco che lo stesso autore ha voluto circondare da un alone di mistero (nessuna notizia in anteprima, nessuna nota musicale inviata alla stampa prima della pubblicazione…) e che viene presentato inizialmente in VINILE e solo successivamente in CD. Il doppio LP contiene un codice che permette di scaricare digitalmente e gratuitamente l’intero album. Dodici nuove canzoni nel più classico Rock’n’Roll Style di ELVIS COSTELLO con gli IMPOSTERS (STEVE NIEVE, PETE THOMAS e DAVEY FARAGHER) Produzione dello stesso ELVIS COSTELLO in collaborazione con JASON LADER, produttore del recente “Under The Blacklight” dei Rilo Kiley. Partecipazioni di JENNY LEWIS (Rilo Kiley), DAVID HIDALGO (LOS LOBOS) e JOHNATHAN RICE.
Babel Fish translation:
"Momofuku" is the new album of ELVIS STUDS, a disc that the same author has intentional to encircle from a aura mystery (no news in preview, no famous musical envoy to the press before the publication...) and that he comes subsequently initially introduced in VINILE and solo in CD. The double LP contains a code that allows to unload digitally and free of charge the entire album. Twelve new songs in more the classic Rock' n' Roll Style of ELVIS I STUD with IMPOSTERS (STEVE NIEVE, PETE THOMAS and DAVEY FARAGHER) Production of the same ELVIS I STUD in collaboration with JASON LADER, producer of the recent "Under The Blacklight" of the Rilo Kiley. Participation of JENNY LEWIS (Rilo Kiley), DAVID HIDALGO (LOS LOBOS) and JOHNATHAN RICE.
Elvis Studs??
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

This is really interesting. Johnathan Rice, Jenny Lewis, Jonathan Wilson and this "Farmer" Dave character al appeared on Gary Louris' recent solo debut Vagabonds.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
cwr

Post by cwr »

I think it's great news that Jenny Lewis is such a big part of this record-- I first started listening to Rilo Kiley after EC had been recommending "Does He Love You?" and I can imagine more than a few Jenny Lewis fans might be purchasing their first Costello record after hearing that she sings on so many tracks here.

A tour together would make a lot of sense and would be great fun.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Alright, sounds like a real family affair. I look forward to listening to it. Rilo Kiley is playing in town tomorrow night. I'm going. Maybe she'll promote the E.C. release... cool and rock on.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

So for the few that already have it:

How is it!?
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Wes posted the following on listserv (warning: contains spoilers!):

OK, well, i've only listened to it once, and in a slighly inebriated state
at that, but....
here goes ... (Semi-spolier alert)

This... Album... ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, I am just blown away by this on first listen.... Very raw and dry,
not unlike Blood and Chocolate in production (Or non production)....
Only 1 or 2 real ballads, I really can't be specifc about any thing,
having only heard it once, but I haven't been this excited about a new
Elvis album since Brutal Youth at the very least..... There is not a bad
track on this beast.....
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

I. Am. So. Friggin. Excited.

That is all.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Me too! I love how this record just kind of snuck up on us.
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

According to an email I got from Music Direct, Momofuku will be on my doorstep tomorrow. I'll post a detailed report as soon as I get it. :D

ohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboy
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

hope mine shows too!
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

StrictTime wrote:I. Am. So. Friggin. Excited.

That is all.
Perhaps this is the true motivation for Elvis's little experiment? There was little build up to the release of the record, since it is initially being released on vinyl the chances of it leaking to torrents or p2p is rather small, so we all have to wait for it to show up at our doorstep or run out and by it on release day. From there we will get the record home, rip off the shrink wrap, put it on the old record player and give it a good listen. No throwing it in the car stereo on the way home, you're going to be in a setting where you really pay attention to the record. Could it be Elvis's nostalgia for such an experience that motivated this?

It was probably just a marketing stunt, but I hope that my reading may be an accurate one.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

'May 6th' release CD appeared for sale on hmv.co.uk yesterday £8.99... (I ordered one, as I buy lovely vinyl now only if absolutely necessary).
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

God, really excited, now. But one weirdness - wonder why he didn't release at the same time as his TV show goes out in the autumn? Surely it woulda been better to do it that way. Anyway, looking forward to it. Am gonna wait for the CD.
cwr

Post by cwr »

Well, if reports of an album recently recorded with T-Bone Burnett in 3 days are true, MOMOFUKU might not be 2008's only Costello record. Who knows how many records he'll make once he's on a roll?
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

UK shops, while listing Monday as the release date, appear to have no idea about when their vinyl copies will actually arrive. Anyone in the UK got an idea on when we might actually be able to hear this?
migdd

Post by migdd »

Paul (thepapaldeliveryman) posted this tidbit on listserv this morning:

I've just been advised that the Momofuku LP is mastered by Kevin Gray. Kevin, if you don't know, is a mastering engineer who often works alongside (the legendary) Steve Hoffman. Consequently the sound of the LP is assured to be as good as possible - and I'm told that the opening two songs rock hard (I hope that's not too much of a spoiler). Kevin did not master the CD, however, so it may well sound like digitally compressed crap (although let's hope otherwise).

Just one more reason to pick up the LP...

--Paul--
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Spoilers? Can you have spoilers with music? I for one am hungry to know every detail of what the album's like - wanna be prepared. Come on, where's the first detailed review???????
Bad Ambassador

Post by Bad Ambassador »

Careful. If you post things saying that Steve Hoffman is legendary people might start to believe it's true, rather than a figment of the mullet-wearing-one's imagination.
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

According to an email I got from Music Direct, Momofuku will be on my doorstep tomorrow. I'll post a detailed report as soon as I get it.
I ordered mine from them on Wednesday and scheduled delivery is on Tuesday.

Originally, I was going to wait for the next payday but after reading all the reports here- Jenny Lewis, David Hidalgo, Tennesse and Pete Thomas, a cardboard "Momofuku" stencil- I just couldn't wait.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

strangerinthehouse wrote:
According to an email I got from Music Direct, Momofuku will be on my doorstep tomorrow. I'll post a detailed report as soon as I get it.
I ordered mine from them on Wednesday and scheduled delivery is on Tuesday.

Originally, I was going to wait for the next payday but after reading all the reports here- Jenny Lewis, David Hidalgo, Tennesse and Pete Thomas, a cardboard "Momofuku" stencil- I just couldn't wait.
Yeah, I originally ordered mine from Elusive Disc, and planned on getting it on the release date, but as soon as I read the liner notes by The Deliveryman, I just had to order it from Music Direct and hope it got here sooner.

I was worried mine would be later than expected, because part of the email said: "The package(s) may not have actually been placed with UPS for shipment. To verify when and if the shipment is tendered to UPS and its actual transit status, click on the tracking link below or contact Music Direct directly."

This morning, I clicked on the tracking link and, as of 8:44 AM, it's sitting in Philadelphia, waiting to be delivered to me. What's a guy gotta do to get his Elvis Costello album -- go down to the UPS station himself and get it?!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Music Direct no longer says "ships today." It lists the April 22 release date instead.

Maybe someone complained about the early shipments?
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

Well, UPS dropped it off about an hour ago. I have one thing to say:

WOW.

I don't know if it's just the fact that Elvis has finally released a new record, or if it really is truly an amazing album, but I am blown away. As soon as the package came, I eagerly ripped into the box, got out my USB record player, and started on side 1. I turned up the speakers and laid down on the couch with my little notepad, scrawling out my first impressions as the songs unfolded. Here they are:

(NOTE: SOME SPOILERS. If you want to be surprised, DO NOT READ.)

Firstly, it sounds like this album was recorded almost entirely live. (Elvis did overdub a few other instruments, like piano and extra guitars.) I don't know which of his albums I would compare it to, but maybe a cross between Blood & Chocolate and Brutal Youth. It's definitely NOT a logical extension of The Delivery Man, though I suppose some of the production values are similar. (This is not a bad thing, keep in mind!)

Now the songs:

No Hiding Place - nice rocking intro, great vocal harmonies. (In fact, the vocal harmonies throughout are superb.)
American Gangster Time - we all know this song from the 2007 live shows, but it's really taken on a new form here. It sounds more developed, while remaining a basic and raw thrash. Elvis's defiant cry of "bye bye!" toward the conclusion reminds me a lot of 'How To Be Dumb'.
Turpentine - an intense psychedelic rocker, with loud drums that sounds like Bo Diddley on acid. I'm not sure about the lengths of the songs, but this and 'Stella Hurt' sound like they're the longest songs on the album.
Harry Worth - an interesting cross between 'The Long Honeymoon' and a slowed-down 'Episode Of Blonde', a little slower than the other tracks, with almost a cha-cha (?!) feel to it.
Drum & Bone - slightly muffled, dominated mostly by drums (who'd've thought!) and bass, with some nice acoustic guitar, too.
Flutter & Wow - great vocals, very soulful, dominated by some terrific piano, and some subtle "oooh" backing vocals.
Stella Hurt - loud rocker, lots of piano, some interesting percussion in the middle section and during the outro, which is nicely drawn out with an abrupt finish.
Mr. Feathers - more psychedelia, with a backwards intro (reverse piano and cymbals) before the song begins in full, with brushed drums, almost playful (!). Sounds a lot like 'Michelle' or something that Paul McCartney would write (in a good way).
My Three Sons - a slow, tender ballad, that's a nice ode to his three sons (obviously), and an almost apology to Matthew for being absent for so much of his life. There's a dedication on the sleeve to "M, D, and F" - Matt, Dexter, and Frank.
Song With Rose - very different from the acoustic solo versions we all know. Upbeat, nicely fleshed out, and has great harmonies.
Pardon Me Madam, My Name Is Eve - again, different from the acoustic solo version, a lot louder, with lots of electric guitar, and very raw.
Go Away - has a fade-in, sounds almost like a first take, loud, thudding drums, and a catchy groove.

Again, it may just be the excitement of a new Elvis Costello record, but this is really a terrific album. There are two adjectives I would use to describe this album: LOUD and RAW. I wasn't able to catch most of the lyrics, because I was just letting it all soak in on first listen, but I'm sure that someone else a little more attuned to the words will be able to offer some thoughts at some point.

Anyway, I think I'll go listen to it again :D
Last edited by Lester Burnham on Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sexysadie7

Post by sexysadie7 »

i appreciate the advance reviews. now i am even MORE excited to get my hands on a copy!
you lack lust...
you're so lacklustre...
is that all the strength
you can muster?
migdd

Post by migdd »

Thanks for sharing first impressions, Lester! Let us know what you think again after listening a few more times.

Can't wait for Amazon to ship my copy next week!