Wake up you footy fans!!!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Otis Westinghouse

Re: Wake up you footy fans!!!

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Imagine if all four drew other team and the semis was all English!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Imagine if all four drew other team and the semis was all English!
I really hope that doesn't happen. I know it would get the English media all excited, but I don't think it makes for such exciting football, because the clubs all know one another too well.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Gillibeanz wrote:OMFG IM THROUGH TO ROUND 11 IN THE FANTASY CUP !!!! Down to the last 1 1/2 thousand.........ive just feinted!! :shock:

Go Gilli Go!!!!
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Gillibeanz wrote:b) We have an important EUFA cup game on thursday and need to keep something back after playing so many matches in such a short time.
That worked a treat!
Attachments
muttley.gif
muttley.gif (6.7 KiB) Viewed 16462 times
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

We were outclassed completely. Unless we raise our game significantly, that's our season over.
:x
corruptio optimi pessima
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Sammy Sammy Sammy dear old Sammy....ive got just one thing to say to you......SPURS 2 - CHELSEA 1 - WE WON THE CUP! :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Gillibeanz wrote:Sammy Sammy Sammy dear old Sammy....ive got just one thing to say to you......SPURS 2 - CHELSEA 1 - WE WON THE CUP! :lol:
Yeah I know - just had to have a little dig at you. I would expect nothing else if the shoe were in the other foot!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Play up Pompey!!

Fantastic!!! :D :D
Otis Westinghouse

Awful stuff. We should have had a penalty early on, and should have put three or four away. All the play was our way. If Van Der Sar hadn't gone off, this would never have happened. Total tedium. Now my only hope of salvation today is a) a hat-trick for my FF captain Gerrard and b) Barnsley!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Awful stuff. We should have had a penalty early on, and should have put three or four away. All the play was our way. If Van Der Sar hadn't gone off, this would never have happened. Total tedium. Now my only hope of salvation today is a) a hat-trick for my FF captain Gerrard and b) Barnsley!
Here's hoping you have a thoroughly miserable day, football-wise!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

:x :x

Dear oh dear!

What can you say? Congratulations to Barnsley. A fantastic performance by them. It's what the FA cup should be all about but rarely is.

I've been an advocate of giving Grant until the end of the season to see what he could do because there are really not other good options out there, but after today I don't see what we have to gain by retaining him as manager. Let Clarke and Ten Cate manage the club through the end of the season, hopefully hang on to third place, bring in a new manager in the summer and let the overhaul begin. Even Abramovich must realize that he's screwed the pooch. Jose must be sitting back with a nice glass of wine and having a big laugh.

So many awful performances today that it's hard to know where to start, but I'd like to single out Malouda as being especially worthless. In no sense is he an adequate replacement for Robben, even an injured Robben.

On a positive note my pork roast with sun-dried tomato vinaigrette is fucking sublime! Add a nice South African red and you can almost forget about today's result.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Play up Pompey!!

Classic example of saying too much too soon.... :lol:

What a great season this has been for football.
corruptio optimi pessima
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jackson Monk wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:Play up Pompey!!

Classic example of saying too much too soon.... :lol:
I'm still very pleased that ManU lost. And Avram Grant is closer to the exit door (one would assume), which is a positive.

Can you tell I'm desperately trying to put the best face on this? :D
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

What a weekend for surprising results! Nice to see the underdogs going through!

Nice one from Spurs too - just the thing to set the mood for the cup match on wednesday! Boy thoese spammers were a dirty lot! :roll:

Is it just me or is Avram the ugliest man in football? He looks like toad in wind in the willows! He is always miserable even when hes winning - and thats not often these days!! :lol:

COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Gillibeanz wrote:Is it just me or is Avram the ugliest man in football? He looks like toad in wind in the willows!
Best two I've seen are the Emperor from Star Wars:

and Baron Von Greenback from Danger Mouse:

then Gillibeanz wrote:He is always miserable even when hes winning - and thats not often these days!! :lol:
Would be more accurate to say that he can't win the big matches. Otherwise his record is quite good. Of course he was also brought in to instill scintillating football and in that respect he's been a miserable failure.
Otis Westinghouse

Well the weekend started, badly, but things are now looking up. Gotta love the Barnsley boys, what a performance. Two in a row. Amazing really what with Cardiff. First time since 1908 that only one top league team has been in the semis they said. Splendidly mediocre Arse result was the perfect conclusion (though I had hope to see Bristol Rovers go through! - can't have everything). Glad I signed Huddlestone this week, though my retention of Green as goalie is looking increasingly laughable. I'd have been better better playing second goalie Gordon in the last two gameweeks, despite the Hammers double week last time.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Chelsea sneaking up in the rearview mirror, under the expert guidance of Darth Sidious ... errr Avram Grant. If we can win on Wednesday at White Flag Lane it will set things up nicely for Arsenal a week from tomorrow.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Chelsea sneaking up in the rearview mirror, under the expert guidance of Darth Sidious ... errr Avram Grant. If we can win on Wednesday at White Flag Lane it will set things up nicely for Arsenal a week from tomorrow.
+Copious amounts of raspberry blowing in your general direction* :lol:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Otis Westinghouse

United sailing close to the wind, though not as much as Arse! God it would have been such a good afternoon if Boro had won away. They came so close. Nice to see Ben Foster starting. A couple of good saves. Everyone's desperate to find the next Gordon Banks, or even the next David James, but he may have a future ahead of him. More than Robinson, anyway! (Copious amounts of raspberry blowing at you too, Gilli!)
mood swung

assuming I'm *allowed* to discuss this ;)

Post by mood swung »

get ready for an ass-whuppin'

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 32&cc=5901

(I won't say whose will be whupped :lol: )

Like me, the "g" is silent.
Who Shot Sam?

Re: assuming I'm *allowed* to discuss this ;)

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

mood swung wrote:get ready for an ass-whuppin'

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 32&cc=5901

(I won't say whose will be whupped :lol: )
:D :D

moody, I'm going down to Nevada Smith's a week from Sunday to watch some of the matches from England and meet some of the Red Bulls players. Will try to take some photos if I can. Hoping that Jozy is there.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

yes, you better see him while you can!

and I hope you take better photos than me!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

What a game!! Awesome! Back from the dead 3 times!Cant call us 3 point Lane anymore can you Sammy old bean - looks like we have become your bogey team - first the cup and now scuppering your precious points!!! :lol:

Looking forward to the England match - hope Becks gets his well earned 100th cap!
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Gillibeanz wrote:What a game!! Awesome! Back from the dead 3 times!Cant call us 3 point Lane anymore can you Sammy old bean - looks like we have become your bogey team - first the cup and now scuppering your precious points!!! :lol:
Yep, one of the more exciting games I've seen in a long time, though it didn't end the way I'd hoped of course.

I have very mixed feelings about Chelsea at the moment. I desperately want to see Grunt fired because he really does not have a clue what he's doing out there, but at the same time I'd love to see us storm up from behind to win the league. If we are to have any chance of that, we need to beat Arsenal this weekend and hope that other results fall our way. I am unfortunately going to miss the match because of Easter (no footy channels at my dad's place). Looks like a certain draw to me, but Arsenal could also take all three points because we seem to be totally at sea in these big games. If that happens, Chelsea's home unbeaten run is history and Grant is out on the street looking for a new job on Monday (oh to dream!). He may need additional security just to get out of the stadium - not exactly the most popular manager we've ever had and I can't fucking stand the sight of him. Listening to one of Grunt's post-match interviews is pure torture, with him taking sly little digs at Mourinho and trying desperately to convince everyone that we are better off with him in charge and that we are somehow playing better football, despite massive evidence to the contrary. (To be fair, we did attack quite well last night - it was the defending from set pieces and the mystifying tactical changes that let us down.)

I'm prepared to write the season off as a loss and hope that we can regroup next year under a new manager and with some new players.
Otis Westinghouse

Another free-kick masterclass from twinkle toes. Nice gap opening up.