Elvis & Imposters support The Police, North America, 2008

Pretty self-explanatory
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Re: Elvis and the Imposters to support The Police?

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Haven't seen it mentioned hereabouts, but EC&I are also supporting The Police in Europe:
http://www.thepolicetour.co.uk/news.php (although that page seems to think that this is 2002!)

2008 European Tour Dates
03 Jun Stade Velodrome, Marseilles, France
05 Jun SAP Arena, Mannheim, Germany
07 Jun TW Classic, Werchter, Belgium
08 Jun LTU Arena, Dusseldorf, Germany
10 Jun Stade J. Guichard, St.Etienne, France
11 Jun Valle Horvin, Oslo, Norway
13 Jun Landsstævnestadion, Haderslev, Denmark
15 Jun Isle of Wight Festival, Newport, UK
17 Jun MEN Arena, Manchester, UK
18 Jun MEN Arena, Manchester, UK
26 Jun Silesian Stadium, Chorzow, Poland
28 Jun Zentralstadion, Leipzig, Germany
29 Jun Hyde Park Calling, London, UK
02 Jul Estadio Ciudad de Valencia, Valencia, Spain
04 Jul BBK Live Festival (Kobetamendi), Bilbao, Spain
05 Jul Rock in Rio, Madrid, Spain
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Not so - the above link also reads - as do other accounts -
Elvis Costello and The Imposters will join The Police for the North American portion of this year's tour.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Oops, must apologise. A good chum told me it was so, and when I skimmed the announcement I thought I read it that way. Sorry for any confusion, false hopes etc.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
arcadecline

Post by arcadecline »

When you say "ec site who does the tickets, are you talking about elviscostello.com or something else?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Maude Lebowski
blogs

Sunday, February 17, 2008

(extract)

~I have to sell some clothes so I can buy The Police reunion tour with Elvis Costello tickets next Saturday. I will go to the show, even if I'm in the total rafters. I don't care. Tickets will be mine.

Glad to see she has her priorities right!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

She would go out that night, but she hasn't got a stitch to wear ...
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
clyde44

Post by clyde44 »

This is such a disappointment.

Elvis played with Dylan & now the Police.
Pass & Pass.

Did someone think this was a good idea?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

there are bigger disappointments; but YES you are right. there really is no need for our boy to reduce himself to opening act status. let's hope this will be the LAST time. i'd rather see him team up and do a supergroup thing!!!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailfea ... 20&irec=18

Paul F. Agusta of the Jakarta Post has this unique description of Elvis -

February 25, 2008

(extract)
In what probably is the coolest news we've heard so far this year, Irish pop-God Elvis Costello has rounded up his old pals The Imposters for a wide north American tour beginning in May. If that little tidbit wasn't enough to bring sunshine to your day, guess who they will tour with? A little ol' band with some dude named Sting in it called The Police. Feel free to scream like a schoolgirl and faint, and then curse the fact that the tour doesn't cover Asia.
clyde44

Post by clyde44 »

Feel free to yawn.
arcadecline

Post by arcadecline »

Okay, I don’t understand why everyone is so down on the Elvis Costello/Police tour. Is it really such a bad thing that EC is going to be playing shows at sold out venues across the nation? Did you guys forget that this is how he makes a living? I’m sure he is getting a pretty nice paycheck, plus, he will get to play to 15,000 people every night. And think of how many new EC fans are going to be leaving those shows. We all know his live show is going to blow the Police’s out of the water. In my opinion EC has had some really crappy opening bands over the past 5 years. I have no problem paying a little extra to see the Police with EC. Does anyone remember the “Flavor of the Week” band that opened for him on the “When I Was Cruel” tour? That was so bad. Though a EC/Jenny Lewis tour sounds real nice.
clyde44

Post by clyde44 »

A tour opening for a Police band doing their greatest hits will surely generate an Elvis show doing his greatest hits. I go Elvis shows looking to hear anything but the hits and with no new album to promote you can't name 80% of what to expect from his set list. Also, you can expect a set of how long, 75 minutes tops?

Paying a little extra? Kidding right? I'd pay anything to see elvis but 2x anything for him & the Police? No thanks.

This is how he makes his living? I think he does well playing the mid-sized venues on his own as well as re-releasing old albums as he has done for so long.

And as for your point about sorry opening bands? Who cares. Never seen a show for the opening band and don't plan to start now.

Hey Elvis, say hi to Sting for me. I think I'll sit this one (as I did the last with Dylan) out.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not but at the rock n' roll hall of fame thing someone asked EC "Were they (The Police) any good?" and he said "No, they were bloody dreadful".......
clyde44

Post by clyde44 »

Don't fault him for taking the paycheck, just don't look to me to contribute to it.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Solo with Dylan - good move, OK Dylan's well past it live, but he is a living legend and a genius and it's an honour to support him, plus it brings him to a partially new audience. Police? Well it smacks of selling out and turning into too much of a lovely who is happy to smooch with Elton and play support to someone he's never had any time for (add 'Why does Sting sing in a fake Jamaican accent?' 'Well why does Elvis sing in a faker American one?' and 'Look out there goes Gordon' to the quote below), and in the context of supporting someone who's reunion smacks of being back in it for the money and going through the motions, despite all the well-publicised acrimony in the past.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

I guess I feel a bit sorry for The Police now. Maybe they are trying to make some sort of last call comeback in the hopes of correcting the horrible sounds they belted out during last year's US tour... let alone for bad reviews! That's not a good way to go out... Maybe they are rehearsing - wow, novel idea, eh boys? Get the chops going, S.C.... Try a little ginseng & yoga, maybe?

I'm still protesting this show, well, because, I want to. (They really did suck.) Maybe they will sound better this time around?

Keeping it on the positive side - sunshine & lollipops over here - This could be good for E.C. & the Imposters. Maybe it will help them reach a new audience/ear and build a bit of momentum in the states... New ears, more record sales, MORE GIGS.

So, I'm all for E.C. touring as long as he continues to get out there... It's not my favorite combo, but whatever... I might go to one of the shows. I'm willing to pay - $30 - $1 a minute for E.c. (songs I have already heard many, many times live, I am sure - like, Watching the Detectives.. man, that one bores me to a bit.)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.thepolice.com/news/news.php?uid=5661

02.23.08 The Police tour latest: Second date added at Denver's Red Rocks Amphitheatre on July 22...

We are delighted to confirm that a second concert has been added at Denver's famous Red Rocks Amphitheatre on July 22.

The Fan Club presale and the Citi presale will both start at 10am on February 26 and run until noon on February 28. Legacy fan club members have their own exclusive window between 10am and noon on February 26 after which the presale opens up to new members.

Tickets will go on public sale at 10am on February 29.

All times are local.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

The 64 dollar question - will Elvis redeem himself by finding the balls to blow those wankers off the stage?

Or, will he just deferentially play a toned-down set designed to not unduly disturb the softcock sensibilities of the self-indulgent nostalgia-loving Police fans waiting to see them go through the motions?
clyde44

Post by clyde44 »

That's the easy question, seen Elvis a hundred times and never once seen him mail it in. Don't expect to see him start this summer.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Have to agree with clyde on this one. I've seen EC perform when he was as sick as a dog and he still gave it all he had. From all accounts, he was not shy about upstaging Dylan during last autumn's solo dates so I doubt he's going to let the Police intimidate him. My big concern is that he'll play it safe with the hits rather than rolling out some new or seldom-played songs. Obviously, EC has a big shot at reaching a significant number of people who have not previously been exposed to his live shows as he did with the Dylan tour. This is a pretty wise career move for someone who is not putting out new material or otherwise in the public eye.

It would be pretty cool if EC used this tour as a vehicle to trot out a bunch of new material. With the Police repertoire rooted firmly in the past, it would be nice to see EC make a statement with these shows that he is concentrating on the future rather than adding to the nostalgia factor.
arcadecline

Post by arcadecline »

I am 27 and my first Elvis Costello show was during the “When I Was Cruel” tour. That show was great and I will always remember the feeling in the room when he closed with “I want you”. With that being said, I have spoke to a few people who saw him in the 80’s and all of them get so excited when they talk about this wheel he would spin to decide which song he would play. Then, I heard about this crazy thing he did during the “Spike” tour. I wish he would do something like that. I have seen him 4 times and they all were great, but all of the performances were pretty straight forward.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.livedaily.com/news/13786.html

The Police expand reunion finale
March 5, 2008 09:03 AM
By Kym Kilgore
LiveDaily Contributor

(extract)

Rock icons The Police have added a few more dates to their upcoming North American jaunt, which is expected to be the grand finale of their 30th anniversary reunion.

Since last check, Grand Rapids, MI, has made it onto the itinerary and second nights have been added in Los Angeles, the Denver area and Wantagh, NY, where the tour is scheduled to wrap in early August.

May 2008
11 - Grand Rapids, MI - Van Andel Arena
27-28 - Los Angeles, CA - The Hollywood Bowl

July 2008
21-22 - Morrison, CO - Red Rocks Amphitheatre

August 2008
4-5 - Wantagh, NY - Nikon at Jones Beach Theater
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

migdd wrote:It would be pretty cool if EC used this tour as a vehicle to trot out a bunch of new material. With the Police repertoire rooted firmly in the past, it would be nice to see EC make a statement with these shows that he is concentrating on the future rather than adding to the nostalgia factor.
Excellent thought migdd and one which I'd wholeheartedly agree. I can't see Elvis missing the opportunity to try out new material.

As EC is in England for the Liverpool show and then The Police show, I'm hoping he'll slot in a few other UK Imposter dates around this time.

I'm going to see if I can get a cheap ticket for Hyde Park nearer the time. At Twickenham last year the touts were having trouble selling tickets for The Police. My brother said they were offering two and three tickets for the price of one. No one likes to see the touts lose money do they :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis & Imposters support The Police, North America, 2008

Post by johnfoyle »

As EC is in England for the Liverpool show and then The Police show, I'm hoping he'll slot in a few other UK Imposter dates around this time.
Elvis/Imps are supporting on only the North American part of the Police tour.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis & Imposters support The Police, North America, 2008

Post by johnfoyle »

The Curse Of Costello strikes again !

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/grpr ... xml&coll=6

Demand lukewarm for Police concert tickets

Saturday, March 08, 2008
The Grand Rapids Press

GRAND RAPIDS -- Demand for tickets to see The Police -- which snagged 2007's "tour of the year" honors from Billboard Magazine -- may be waning, based on early sales for some shows on the reunited rock group's upcoming North American tour.

Only about 1,000 tickets for the May 11 concert in Grand Rapids' Van Andel Arena featuring The Police and Elvis Costello and the Imposters, were sold this week during a special five-day "presale" to Police fan club members and Citi Card members, according to the arena.

That means plenty of prime seats in the 12,000-seat arena should be available to West Michigan fans when tickets -- $52.50, $97.50 and $252.50 -- go on sale at 10 a.m. Monday at the arena box office, Ticketmaster outlets, by calling 456-3333 or online at ticketmaster.com.

So far, quick sellouts haven't taken place in other cities. Tickets for the May 4 show in Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio, went on sale two weeks ago, but seats in all three price ranges still were available Friday. A May 10 show in Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Ill., still had tickets in the upper price ranges available after two weeks.

And because the Grand Rapids show comes less than 10 months after a sold-out July date at the Palace of Auburn Hills, some area fans may already have invested in pricey tickets to see the band featuring Sting, Andy Summer and Stewart Copeland.

The band, which reunited last year for its first tour in more than two decades, returns to North America to play markets it didn't hit in 2007.

More online>Read more about ticket sales for The Police at "Sound Check," John Sinkevics' Web log.

Send e-mail to the author: yourlife@grpress.com