Elvis/Clover, San Fran, Nov. 8 '07 - download available

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

johnfoyle wrote:The Record Collector with the feature that , when Nick Lowe was being interviewed for it, revealed the news about this show , is out. Besides a three page retelling of the MAIT story , the conclusion includes this -

....and Elvis himself is planning to mark the anniversary year with a special performance at the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival in San Francisco in October. He'll be backed by the original Clover musicians , playing the album in its original running order.

http://www.strictlybluegrass.com/

'Join us on Oct 5, 6 & 7, 2007 for Hardly Strictly Bluegrass 7 '

http://www.recordcollectormag.com/site/ ... efault.asp
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2007/0 ... unced.html

Just got word on the lineup for the seventh annual Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival, to be held this year at Speedway Meadow in San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park on Oct. 6-7. No huge superstars this year on the Dolly Parton or Willie Nelson or Elvis Costello level, which is just as well, ’cause the free fest has been on the verge of getting too damn crowded in recent years. Los Lobos and Bela Fleck & the Flecktones are probably the biggest new names. (I’ve posted the whole list after the jump …)
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.bobdylan.com/moderntimes/tour/main.html

Quote:
Fri 10/5 Manchester NH Verizon Wireless Arena
Sat 10/6 Albany NY Times Union Center

These east coast dates with Bob Dylan seem to knock on the head the rumoured MAIT/Clover shows as being part of The Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival.
arcadecline

Post by arcadecline »

I dont think EC is playing the bluegrass thing. He is on the east coast on the 5, 6, and 8. the only way he could would be to fly out to sf on the 7th play and fly back for his show on the 8th. And I dont see anything about him playing on the bluegrass fest. website.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

It's on!

http://www.gamh.com/artist_pages/elvis_ ... 110807.htm

The Great American Music Hall
859 O'Farrell Street
San Francisco, CA 94109

Elvis Costello
and Clover

The band from the original recording playing the songs from "My Aim Is True" for the first time ever in public

A Benefit for the Richard deLone Special Housing Fund
Date: Thursday, November 8, 2007
2 SHOWS!

Doors: 6:00 PM
Show: 7:00 PM

Doors: 9:30 PM
Show: 10:00 PM

Tickets: On Sale Sunday, October 7

$75
General Admission
4 TICKET LIMIT PER PERSON
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

excellent.. Although, ticket sales coincide with Hardly Strictly Bluegrass... Rats, I'll have to sacrifice the Mother Hips show for ticket purchases...
ahawkman

Post by ahawkman »

They've already jacked it up to $100. Since I live within 500 miles, I suppose I must try to go. Anyone else thinking about going?

They have an interesting policy to thwart scalping.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

This show will sell out quick. I was hanging out in the Mission last night and a lot of people were talking about this show. It's going to be a hot ticket if you can get one.
ramalama

hope y'all did well

Post by ramalama »

It became obvious at 9:58 that the GAMH ticket site was taking a long time to refresh, so tickets.com and its assorted fees became the more viable option. I got through to the website and on the phone at the same time, so got my tickets by phone.
Dr. Luther

Re: hope y'all did well

Post by Dr. Luther »

ramalama wrote:It became obvious at 9:58 that the GAMH ticket site was taking a long time to refresh, so tickets.com and its assorted fees became the more viable option. I got through to the website and on the phone at the same time, so got my tickets by phone.
I took the opposite approach.

I figured that the GAMH would be slow, but that they would have a separate allotment (not the same pool that Tix.com was drawing from).

It was disconcerting because it was quite slow -- but it worked.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

disconcertment is being 3000 miles away!!!!!!!!!!!
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

bronxapostle wrote:disconcertment is being 3000 miles away!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah.
It's gotta be tempting.
Sorry -- wasn't meaning to rub it in. :oops:
Last edited by Dr. Luther on Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

CloverFan wrote:As far as I aa aware, it's to be recorded live at the Great American Music hall in SF.
Cloverfan, can you elaborate on this? Is it going to be RECORDED?
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

I'd be pretty surprised if it's not documented on video...
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.marinij.com/lifestyles/ci_7346631

Costello, Clover to help Mill Valley man' son

Paul Liberatore

11/01/2007

If I remember correctly, one night in the mid-'70s I was shooting pool in River City, the short-lived bar and nightclub in Fairfax, when I overheard Huey Lewis telling the bartender that he was bailing out of Marin and heading to England with his band, Clover.

Huey was complaining about Clover not being able to break through in the U.S., so the group had decided to try its luck over the pond, where bands were making a name for themselves in the British pub rock scene.

Clover was one of the top country/rock outfits of that era, and one of the best bands Marin has ever produced, but the group couldn't catch a break in England, either.

Some of the band members, however, went into Pathway Studios in London with a then unknown new wave rocker named Elvis Costello, backing him on his 1977 debut album, "My Aim is True," which hit the top 40 in the U.S. and was named the album of the year by Rolling Stone magazine.

"My Aim is True" was a double-sided masterpiece (vinyl albums had songs on both sides back in the day) with classic hits like "Welcome to the Working Week," "Less than Zero," "Watching the Detectives" and "Alison."

Contrary to some reports, Huey and Alex Call, Clover's frontmen, weren't on the record. The musicians on the original release were uncredited, but included Clover keyboardist Sean Hopper, who went on to join Huey in forming the News; guitarist John McFee, now with the Doobie Brothers, and bassist John Ciambotti, now a Los Angeles chiropractor.

At this point, you may be wondering what's with the rock 'n' roll history lesson. Hold on, I'm getting to the point.

Since the Clover days, Costello has developed even stronger ties to Marin. He played for his pal John Goddard at Village Music this year when he heard the store was closing. He's performed at Sweetwater several times, including a memorable midnight concert after a gig at the Fillmore. And he's a friend of Mill Valley keyboardist Austin de Lone and de Lone's English wife, Lesley.

De Lone has known Costello since 1987, when they were introduced by Nick Lowe. He played with Elvis in a band called the Confederates that toured through the South, and he occasionally backs him on keyboards when he's in the Bay Area.

For some time now, Costello has wanted to do a benefit concert for the de Lone's 9-year-old son, Richard, who suffers from Prader-Willi Syndrome, a little-known chromosomal disorder that is the leading genetic cause of morbid obesity. People with Prader-Willi can't control their desire to eat and must be watched at all times.

Over the past year, plans have come together for a Nov. 8 Elvis Costello concert at the Great American Music Hall, a two-show benefit for a new nonprofit organization, the Richard de Lone Special Housing Project.

"Our mission is to build a home for people with Prader-Willi, both kids and adults," de Lone explains.

Since a special cause deserves a special show, this won't be just any old Elvis Costello concert.

"Not that Elvis with his band wouldn't be fantastic, but I suggested to him that I wanted to do something out of the ordinary, a little bit different," de Lone says. "I suggested that he do the old 'My Aim Is True' album with the guys who originally recorded it. He really liked that idea. So we pounded it together and it's finally happening. He's going to play the entire album from top to bottom, for the first time ever."

They've managed to round up McFee, Hopper and Ciambotti from Clover. Pete Thomas, from Costello's band, will fill in on drums. And de Lone will play the opening set with rockabilly king Bill Kirchen. If you're interested in tickets, I'm sorry to say that both shows that night are sold out.

"The awareness that this concert will bring to this disease is going to be great," de Lone says. "It's so amazing that Elvis and the guys are doing this for virtually nothing."

This concert is the latest kindness shown the de Lones, who have gone through so much since their son was born with this cruel, debilitating disease.

"Nine years ago, we found ourselves in the world of the disabled," he says. "You go through a grieving process because you've basically lost your child. Our hopes and dreams have changed.

"But now, as Lesley says, we've been in the world of the disabled for a long time, and we now feel privileged to be there. Although it's been very hard, we've learned so much. I would say it's changed us for the better. And, along the way, we've met so many wonderful people with such great heart."

Elvis Costello would have to be one of those people.

Paul Liberatore can be reached at liberatore@marinij.com.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Cool! So glad I read this thread. I have a younger brother with Prader-Willi Syndrome, and I'm his legal guardian. He has to live in a supported living home with special restrictions on his diet: 1000 calories per day. It is a very cruel condition to have, and there is a lot of other things that go along with it, behavior problems, etc. Its neat to see one of my idols doing a fundraiser gig for such a rare disorder that I am very familiar with. And this looks like quite the reunion gig! Would be very cool to attend.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I wonder why original Clover drummer Mickey Shine isn't part of this?

He has a site -

http://www.mmickyshine.com/modules.php?name=mmicky_bio

He seems to not have drummed in years so perhaps he had the humility to say that he just would not be good enough for a show now. I mean this in a nice way , but , considering how vastly superior Pete Thomas' technique is, I imagine he'll have to restrain himself to duplicate the original MAIT drum percussion sound.

Will images from Pathway Studios in 1976 be used as part of the stage set? If they want any here are some from a Squeeze recording session there that year -

http://packetofthree.com/po3/html/pathw ... 976_5.html

including -

bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

http://www.doobiebrothers.net/biography/john-mcfee/

JOHN McFEE - Guitars/Strings/Vocals.

John McFee was born on September 9, 1950, in Santa Cruz, California and began playing music “so young I can’t remember a time when I didn’t play music.â€
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... =p3907.m29

2 Tix & Meet ELVIS COSTELLO in San Francisco 11/8/07!!
EXCLUSIVE Sold-Out Show on Thursday!!

End time: 13 hours 48 mins (Nov-07-07 12:38:19 PST)

In support of this important charity, personally selected by Elvis, we are offering a fan this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Place your bids now for the chance to see Elvis Costello at a sold-out exclusive show in San Francisco! This package also includes a meet & greet w/ photo op with Elvis Costello, where he will sign a Vintage 40â€
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... GT6OCA.DTL

Costello, band regroup for good cause

Joel Selvin, Chronicle Senior Pop Music Critic

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Austin de Lone came up with the idea of Elvis Costello playing his first album live, 30 years later, with a reunited Clover, the long defunct Marin County rock group who backed him all those years ago on "My Aim Is True." This is an unlikely event that will actually take place in two sold out benefit performances Thursday at the Great American Music Hall.

"I'm not nostalgically inclined," says Costello over the phone. "I still play songs from the record, but I'm always thinking about the songs in the moment."

But Costello, a long-time friend and admirer of de Lone, had agreed to do something to help raise money to battle the incurable condition from which de Lone's 9-year-old son, Richard, suffers, the little-known Prader-Willi syndrome, a chromosome disorder that affects 1 in 15,000 births and leaves its victims perpetually starving. "It's got to be one of the most difficult things any parent could have to deal with," says Costello.

De Lone, 61, would be the guy to pull off an impossible reunion like this because there is nobody more universally liked in Marin County music circles. A utility keyboard player who has led many of his own bands - including the pioneering '70s band, Eggs Over Easy, whose 1971 stint in London is credited with starting that country's pub rock movement - de Lone has long been known as one of the nicest guys anyone could want on the bandstand. Those who have wanted him include Bonnie Raitt, the Fabulous Thunderbirds, Commander Cody, Boz Scaggs, Lightnin' Hopkins and countless others.

"It takes a special kind of talent to be yourself and lend something to somebody else at the same time," says Costello, who has played extensively with de Lone and called him "not a modest talent, but a talent who's modest."

Clover broke up long ago. The Marin County hippies went to England in 1977 where they ran head first into the blooming New Wave scene. The group recorded two albums with then-unknown producer Mutt Lange (long before he found AC/DC, Bryan Adams or his wife, Shania Twain) and backed up a neophyte recording artist on his first album. He called himself Elvis Costello, and it's doubtful Clover thought he'd amount to anything.

"We haven't all played together in the same room since then," says Costello.

Clover splintered on the band's return to the states the following year, and the harmonica player/vocalist went on to form Huey Lewis and the News with Clover keyboardist Sean Hopper. Guitarist John McFee has played for the last 20 years or so with the Doobie Brothers, but bassist John Ciambotti long ago gave up the music business to work as a chiropractor in Southern California. ("For sure, he's got strong hands," says Costello.)

The personnel guarantee that Thursday's show will be one for the annals, but de Lone hopes it will be more than just another one-off benefit. De Lone would like to see the event be the beginning of a drive to raise the millions of dollars necessary to build the Richard de Lone Special Housing Project for Prader-Willi patients. The small, unremodeled house in the Mill Valley cul de sac that de Lone and his wife, Lesley, have rented since 1976 looks well loved. Amid the happy clutter of the front porch, a child's handwriting on the wall reads "the de lones live here." Inside, the air is scented Italian thanks to by Lesley de Lone, a private chef for romance author Catherine Coulter. Lesley de Lone is cooking her famous spaghetti bolognese for a neighborhood party. Caroline de Lone, a junior at Tamalpais High, is flopped on her bed, clicking away at a laptop.

A Steinway that belonged to Austin de Lone's great-great grandmothe and rolled off the production line before the First World War, fills the spare bedroom. There is enough room to walk around one side of the piano. On the opposite side, de Lone just throws piles of sheet music and other detritus pertinent to making music. The ivories are well worn; on one key, the tip is missing. An electric keyboard is perched precariously on a nearby shelf.

Although he began taking piano lessons at age 12 while growing up in suburban Philadelphia, de Lone didn't start to pursue musical ambitions in earnest until after he dropped out of Harvard. His rootsy, countryish trio Eggs Over Easy went to England to record with Jimi Hendrix's producer Chas Chandler and wound up working one night a week at a jazz club in London's Kentish Town called the Tally Ho. The band caught on.

"By the end of the year, I think there was one night of jazz left," de Lone says, "not that we ruined jazz in England or anything."

The Tally Ho - and the 1971 Eggs Over Easy residency - served as ground zero for an important subterranean movement in British rock called pub rock. People who five years later would be producing and making the initial breakthrough punk and new wave records were taking their cues from the three Americans who were packing the Kentish Town pub five nights a week by the time they went back to the states.

"They gave confidence to groups like Nick Lowe's Brinsley Schwartz to be more themselves," says Costello, who saw Eggs Over Easy before he met de Lone in Mill Valley in 1977 while the Brit rocker was on his first tour behind "My Aim Is True."

Back in the states, Eggs Over Easy's one album fizzled. The band retreated to Mill Valley and kicked around for years before finally disbanding in the early '80s. De Lone took a lot of freelance work, including playing in a red-hot Marin County roadhouse band called the Moonlighters.

He sent the Moonlighters' demo tapes to producer Lowe, who was becoming a force in the new wave movement. The letter de Lone received back began "Dear Hero of Mine ... " Lowe produced an album withthe band that was only released in England, but he has worked a lot with de Lone over the years.

Who hasn't de Lone worked with over the years? That's the shorter list. He served 12 years as musical director of the Bammies (the Bay Area Music Awards), and he directed the house band at all the legendary Village Music parties at the Sweetwater. De Lone, who used to work the room when it was a neighborhood bar called the Office, recently presided over the final rites of Mill Valley's venerated club. "I closed that place down," he says.

He never made a killing in the music business, but was always happy doing the work, getting by, raising his family. But with the birth of their second child, says Lesley de Lone, "we entered the world of the disabled overnight."

Richard, almost 10, has been living at a group home for the handicapped since June, returning home on weekends. His visits are first respite from 24-hour care and vigilance the de Lones have experienced since he was born. The locks dangling on the refrigerator and food cabinets are not something seen in many people's kitchens.

"My son's a pixie. He's the sweetest boy in the world, but he's naughty," says his mother.

Richard was born with Prader-Willi, a syndrome first described in 1956 by Swiss doctors. Not only do the patients never lose their cravings for food, their metabolisms demand they actually eat less than the average person, about 40 percent less. Many unsupervised Prader-Willi patients die from morbid obesity.

His mother describes a young boy who, if he goes out and smells cooking, bursts into tears and can't stop thinking about food. Richard is a low-functioning case and spends a lot of time compulsively winding his belt around his hands. He can take hours picking out videos to rent. But he never stops thinking about food.

"It's like they have piranhas in their stomachs," says his mother.

Richard's birth was traumatic, but it was several days before the doctors gave them the big picture. "Basically, you've lost your child," says his father. "You have all these hopes and dreams for your child. We cried buckets of tears for six months, at least."

"You know when people say, 'God only gives you what you can handle'?" his wife says. "That's when I want to punch someone's lights out."

With Richard in full-time care during the week, signs of life are blooming at the de Lone home. Austin de Lone recently released a solo album, years in the works, "Soul Blues," that he recorded at the Site, the high-priced hideaway studio in the Marin woods where Keith Richards, Pearl Jam and others have made albums. Costello, Lowe and dieselbilly guitar king Billy Kirchen of the Moonlighters make guest appearances, but de Lone did most of the keyboards, guitars and vocals. He is also producing an album with longtime blues singer Lisa Kindred, a Mill Valley neighbor who was one of Richard's main babysitters and, many years ago, used to work the same Greenwich Village folk clubs as Bob Dylan.

"We've been in a cloud for years," says de Lone. "The fact that the little guy is gone has lifted it a little bit. It's hard to get used to."

Costello knows the situation first-hand. He has sat with his tea at the de Lone's kitchen table, while Richard crawled all over him. He is also the father of twins, now almost a year old. "People like this tend to stay behind closed doors," he says, "and stay out of the public eye."

And while Lesley de Lone remembers the shock of entering the world of the disabled, as she says, she now sees the whole world quite differently, as do all such parents.

"You meet the most remarkable people," she says. "You bow down to these people. So many people who have such great hearts, who do so much work. When a mother spends years getting their child to speak, when doctors said they never would, it may be a small thing compared to what we take for granted, but it takes so much heart and soul."

As for the world of the disabled, the de Lones are firmly on the other side. "Now we feel privileged to be in it," says Lesley.

To learn more about the Richard de Lone Special Housing Project, visit http://www.rdshp.org. For more information on Prader-Willi syndrome, visit http://www.pwsausa.org.

My Aim Is True Benefit: Elvis Costello with Clover (John McFee, John Ciambotti, Sean Hopper, Pete Thomas). Austin de Lone and Bill Kirchen open. 7 and 10 p.m. Thursday at the Great American Music Hall, 850 O'Farrell St. Both shows sold out. For more information, visit http://www.gamh.com.

To hear "Little Lost Lamb" by Austin de Lone, visit sfgate/eguide.

E-mail Joel Selvin at jselvin@sfchronicle.com.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

"Welcome to the Working Week" video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FraPWO0Z4cc
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://nixmusicblog.blogspot.com/2007/1 ... -live.html

From listserv -

The second best Alison I've ever heard. THE best "Stranger In the
House" I've ever heard live! I wept with happiness (well teared up!).
All of the extra songs were wonderous. The standouts from MAIT for
me were, well everything, but really the more rare songs like "Pay It
Back", "I'm Not Angry" aw heck it was so awesome and the extra most
lovely guitar licks from at first John McFee and then when Bill
Kirchen joined in. The organ was manned at the end by Austin de Lone,
who with Bill Kirchen opened the show with five songs, ending in "The
Times they are a Changin' " (Sorry, I'm not the best with Dylan
songs!). They played some of Austin's (Can't remember the title, but
one had the words "The Taste of Salty Tears" which was rather lovely
and some of Bill's (Hammer of The Honky Tonk Gods).

I got in line with M. at around 1:40...she was first at noon, thank
goodness for her!!

Up front and dead center for the first show.... Lots of really familiar faces, especially
that one dude with the glasses who likes to smoke bowls at GA shows.
We had two fainters in the front row for the second show. One was the
date of the woman who won the auction on eBay, we had a nice chat with
them, but then he was fainting dead away during the Elvis solo stuff.
Then a while later another woman to our left fainted...dropped right
down. I blame the tables they set up in front of the stage...I bet
they locked their knees.

Elvis' shoes look to match his purple suit...they looked purpley blue
metallic...could have been leather!

Elvis was in such a great mood! He was in great voice during the
soundcheck, greater voice during the early show, and even better
during the second show. They really cranked out that second show.

2nd set they cut the encore short and it looked like they were
planning somethign special. He came back on with Austin and he sang
happy birthday to his Gill Taylor (dontcha know I sorta loved that
Gill shares my name ;-)). and then dedicated a song to Bonnie Raitt
who was in the audience (and I do believe it was her birthday as
well!). Someone else will have to recount the story about Bonnie
Raitt and her dragging Elvis out on the dancefloor for the Hustle!

Awesome, magical night! Those of you who didn't make it were sorely
missed. I pray they recorded it for release to add to the coffers of
the de Lone Special Housing project. Lots of swag, all proceeds went
to the project. Austin (Auddie to his friends) was genuinely touched
and teary eyed at the end when he was thanking Elvis, and Elvis was
really showing his love too. Not only for the cause, but for the band
and how much he enjoyed playing up there!! It was such a treat to see
him so happy and banging about with another band like a kid in a candy
store. I say they do record another album together!! At least a
single or two. It was so wonderful sounding with all of the strings
and the organ/piano, etc.. It was totally the way those songs were
meant to sound. Pete stopped by on his way in to soundcheck and I
asked him "How's it going?" and he answered something like it was
totally weird and how "it sounds just like the album!".

The Setlist began like this:

Welcome To The Working Week
Miracle Man
No Dancing
Blame It On Cain
Alison
Sneaky Feelings
(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
Less Than Zero
Mystery Dance
Pay It Back
I'm Not Angry
Waiting For The End Of The World

(Break)

Watching The Detectives

then they played various and sundry of the below, either with or
without the band.

Radio Sweetheart
Stranger In The House
Imagination (Is A Powerful Deceiver)
Cheap Reward
Jump Up
Wave A White Flag
Poison Moon

Elvis treated us to some of his earlier work as he vowed not to play
any songs penned after 1977. He played one from 1975. Every song or
two when he was solo he'd give a little anecdote. I'm still working
on total recall as I'm pooped as pooped can be. I didn't fall asleep
until 3AM! Someone will have to recount the Clover songs played. I
only recall the name "Mr. Moon" I know there were others of course!
Ahhhh!

Jill
migdd

Post by migdd »

OMG!!! :P :P :P
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

edit: respost below
Last edited by Dr. Luther on Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:11 pm, edited 10 times in total.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Pete posts this photo to listserv -

"This was during one of the several encores (lost count!)
shortly after they did a "Molly Hatchet" guitar trio shtick.
Might have been Radio Sweetheart. (10pm show)"
ramalama

Post by ramalama »

For a night, we were the luckiest people in the world.