New Gig Thread

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Yeah - a really great evening capped up with some great Irish stories in the bar afterwards. Could have sat up dringking all night if the mundanities (is that a word?)of the working life hadn't called.

Lloyd was very good indeed and made me laugh out loud several times.............something I haven't done since Spurs signed Tim Sherwood.
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Indeed, between Lloyd's witty quips and the Monkster's eye-watering rendition of absurd moments from Irish rado and telly, it was an evening of laughs as well as exquisite music. And Lloyd's dad was there - it seemed pretty obvious which person he must be, but he didn't look at all like him, and at one stage we thought Elvis was there, The glasses and hair shape, cut short, staring down intently from above. In fact, there was even another potential Elvis in the opposite balcony - Elvis in stereo!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... =260514637

the Pietasters AND the Slackers! starts at noon! high temperatures! cold beer! sounds like a D&D waiting to happen!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Got tickets for Bruce Springsteen in Copenhagen dec. 8 :D Anyone else going to see him on this tour?
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
goodbyegirl

Post by goodbyegirl »

Very sad as I missed Squeeze (took my daughter to her first concert-Drake Bell-so cute!) Anyway, I feel redeemed as I just got tickets to see the Raspberries in NYC next month. I have always wanted to see Eric Carmen- one of my very favorite singers/songwriters. For anyone interested, the Raspberries just released a live CD with bonus DVD. If you like the Raspberries, this is a really great live cd!
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Wow, the Raspberriers are touring?
One of my alltime favourite pop groups too.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I went to see Ricky Gervais last night at the Royal Albert Hall doing his Fame stand up show. Very enjoyable.

He is a good stand up comedian.

The tickets cost £43 with booking fee. Am I wrong in expecting his routine to be more than 80 minutes?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

Probably. You can't laugh for longer than that. Silly price, though.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Richard Hawley - Sage Gateshead, 17th Sept 2007

Played, I think, 19 songs with a nod to each of his albums, majoring on the new one, of course. The sound was fantastic, with echo, twang, and Joe Meek stylings aplenty.

The finale was an almost lullaby version of Hank Williams' I'm so Lonesome I Could Cry (featuring a bloke he met in a Manchester pub on Harmonica), followed by an extended The Ocean, but it seemed that all of the songs were better live than on disc.

His banter included at east one joke:
"I went to see the Doctor, and he told me I had to stop masturbating. I said I didn't want to, 'cos I love it. He replied, 'But I'm trying to examine you!' "

Mr Hawley looked very dapper in a Sta Prest suit (brown, drain pipe trousers).
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Lloyd Cole - Sage (Hall 2) Gateshead, 23rd Sept 2007

Excellent c. 90 minute, solo set.

Not being too familiar with the ouvre I can't name any of the songs ('cept Perfect Skin) but he was in good humour, if a little croaky.

Along the way he sang 3 Tim Hardin songs.
Otis Westinghouse

It's turned into the RTHTW Weekly Bulletin From The Sage thread!

Great that you went to see my hero, and I'm sure it was a good venue for him. He also played 2-3 Hardin songs here in Aug. The setlist was probably similar to the one played here (see the post above from c. Aug 8).
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Soulive - This trio plays a musical gumbo; funky, plenty of soul, peppered with rock. For some numbers they added a vocalist named Toussaint (no relation)

Well worth checking out.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I've got tickets for Arctic Monkeys on 9th December.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Will be seeing Andrew Bird in early November.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

That should be a treat. I've got Josh Rouse and Springsteen on the horizon (seperately) for October. Was really hoping to catch one of Neil Young's three shows at Massey Hall in November, but they sold out pretty immediately.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Suzanne Vega put on a great show. She is in fine voice. Half the concert was from her first three albums. She opened the concert with the acappella number 'Tom's Diner' and she ended the main part of the show (two encores) with a full band electronic version of 'Tom's Diner'
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Sam Brown - Sage (Hall 2) Gateshead - Wed 3rd Oct 2007

Accompanied herself on keyboard, accoustic guitar, electric guitar, (George Harrison's) ukelele, tambourine & kazoo (though not all at the same time).

At the start she was definitely nervous, and hit some bum notes as she concentrated on the instrument at hand, but once warmed up was fab.

She's got lungs and knows how to use 'em.

She's also qute charming, in a warm hearted, self deprecating, non Diva like manner.
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Going to see Ryan Adams and the Cardinals next Friday night at the Mcfarlin hall at SMU - excited and looking foward to hearing some songs that have fast become all time favourites.
echos myron like a siren
guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices »

okkervil river tonight. LOVE these guys, Black Sheep Boy is so far my favorite album of the 00's . Last show of the tour, only texas show on the tour (they're from Austin), and somehow it's at a tiny place here in Houston.
we have powerlines in our bloodlines
guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices »

mike boom, AWESOME signature. we're finally here, and shit yeah it's cool!

do you have coast to coast carpet of love yet?
we have powerlines in our bloodlines
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Was on the fence about seeing Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings for a third time in two years, but after hearing their amazing new album I decided to go for it. Nov. 13 - can't wait.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

Seeing English Beat at the Coach House in San Juan Capistrano on Thursday Night, and quite frankly, I am excited about it. My 15 year old daughter, Allison, purchased the tickets for me and her to attend the show with the money she earns teaching Shaolin Kung Fu to youngsters.

What a great kid

"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

That's cool Mr. A! I saw Dave Wakeling solo several years ago in New Orleans and it was a great show. Have fun!
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

guidedbyvoices - no I dont have "Coast to Coast Carpet of Love" yet, nor its fellow "Standard Gargoyle Decisions" .... but I will be picking them both up at the earliest oppurtunity, hopefully in the next couple of days, cant wait to hear them.
echos myron like a siren
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I love Wakeling voice, and I saw him with Rankin' Roger After the release of the first General Public album at Bogarts Cafe in Cincinatti, OH. Great show...
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)