The top 10 guitar solos

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

The intro and mid-song solo in The Cure's Just Like Heaven.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
guidedbyvoices

Post by guidedbyvoices »

I'm not a big classic rock fan, but Little Wing. Wow, Hendrix does in two and a half minutes everything you could need. I admire SRV but it seems that people who cover it try playing these 20 minute versions draining all possible combinations out of it. Give me Jimi who just nails it.

A throw away song, but I've always loves George's solo on the Beatles' Til There Was You.

in terms of solo pieces for guitar, Django's I'll See You In My Dreams. He takes Louis Armstrong's ideas of melody and improvisation and swing and emotion and just dances along through the whole song, every note just perfect and never losing sight of the melody.

And of course, Sleepwalk, absolutely gorgeous.

A great live one is on Zeppelin's How The West Was Won, Page's solo in Immigrant Song. There's no solo on the album version, but live he just takes it somewhere else.

For the most part though, as I get older, solos dont do that much for me. I'm not interested in chops and fifteen minute wankfests. Give me a 90 second pop song anyday
we have powerlines in our bloodlines