johnfoyle

Elvis plays Buffalo, New York , Sept. 7 '07

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.buffalonews.com/entertainmen ... 17188.html

Costello fronts bill for Rockin’ at the Knox

By Mark Sommer

NEWS STAFF REPORTER
07/11/07

Elvis Costello, the musician, songwriter and composer who began his career as a New-Wave sensation, will be headlining this year’s Rockin’ at the Knox on Friday, Sept. 7.

Also performing will be acclaimed Canadian singer-songwriter Feist and 20-year-old Scottish singer-songwriter Paolo Nutini.

Rockin’ at the Knox has been an evening entertainment event for more than 10 years, but in 2005 Albright- Knox Art Gallery Director Louis Grachos moved it outside with live national acts. Costello follows fellow New-Wave band Blondie, who performed last year, and Wilco and My Morning Jacket in 2005. The concert is held outside the gallery, rain or shine, along the Elmwood Avenue entrance.

In past years, the performance has been part of a multi-tiered event, with art inside the gallery and music outside, and with several local bands playing throughout the day.

Tickets for the event, which will run from 3 to 11 p.m., are $40 in advance and $45 at the door, and go on sale Friday. Tickets are available at the museum’s admissions desk, online at Ticketmaster. com, and Ticketmaster outlets in Macy’s department stores. To charge by phone, call 852-5000.

The ticket provides all-day entrance to the gallery’s exhibitions “Remix: The Collection,â€
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Buffalo is only about 2 hours from here. If this were on a Saturday I would definitely go. But maybe since he'll be so close to Toronto he'll book a show here.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

You and Red should go and make this your first EC show as a married couple :wink: . Two hours isn't a long way to go to a gig.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Some more news here: http://www.democratandchronicle.com/app ... 11031/1032

Elvis Costello to headline Buffalo gallery event

(July 11, 2007) — Elvis Costello headlines “Rockin’ at the Knox,â€
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going ?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A neat bio./ preview for this show -

http://artvoice.com/issues/v6n36/miracle_man
shaneystrummer

Post by shaneystrummer »

I'll be there. It's my first Elvis show and I can't wait. It's taking him forever to play a Canadian date so I'll make the trip to the States for this one.

I'll still have to see him sometime with the full band, but I've heard solo shows of his and they are also mind blowing. As long as he plays "Indoor Fireworks" I'll be happy.

Will Nieve be playing with him?
migdd

Post by migdd »

Yes, Steve is with him for this show. A full report upon your return, please. Enjoy the show!!!
verbal gymnastics

migdd wrote:A full report upon your return, please.
...and a recording would be nice :wink:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

setlist anyone?
shaneystrummer

Post by shaneystrummer »

Elvis and Steve were incredible. There were some heavy rains and winds during Feist's set so we were kind of scared that Elvis would cancel. However, the tickets said rain or shine and the art gallery probably didn't want 5000 people demanding their money back so the boys soldiered on. However, their set was cut short so many of the songs on the setlist weren't played.

Here are the ones that they cut from the setlist:
Brilliant Mistake
Town Cryer/45
American Without Tears
Blue Chair
So Like Candy
The River in Reverse
Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
New Amsterdam

One more thing, The Scarlet Tide and PLU were switched around at the end. We were worried that Elvis would be in a grumpy mood due to the weather, but he was extremely playful all night and seemed to be genuinely enjoying himself. Nieve was incredible to watch as well. Not too bad for my first Elvis show, but I wish he would've played for longer. There's always next time. I'll be uploading a full video of "Man Out of Time" to youtube sometime in the future. I'll post a link when I do.

Here are some scans of the setlist.

spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Oh, be still my heart. I've never seen him play American Without Tears.

I wish there would just be a King of America show. :)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.buffalonews.com/entertainmen ... 57848.html

Robert Kirkham/Buffalo News
Backed by pianist Steve Nieve, Elvis Costello rocked the Albright-Knox Friday night in what ranked as one of the major concerts of the year.

Costello gives crowd a show worth the wait

By Jeff Miers NEWS POP MUSIC CRITIC

09/08/07

Buffalo became a first-tier city, concert-wise, on Friday night, as the Albright-Knox Art Gallery celebrated its annual fundraiser and Buffalo audiences were treated to their first Elvis Costello performance in more than 20 years.

Headliner Costello took the stage with pianist Steve Nieve, and tore directly into “Accidents Will Happen,â€
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

A thirty-minute version of Alison ? :D
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
shaneystrummer

Post by shaneystrummer »

The 30:10 beside Alison was a reminder to Elvis to make a little joke. He said it was 30 years since his first album and that it would be 10 years until the next one.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Great setlist. Thanks for the report!

Too bad to hear there were no new songs played and from recent reports, it appears that EC is not in the writing mode and has no intention of recording anytime soon.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

The setlist looks abit tired to me - same old same old.
signed with love and vicious kisses
migdd

Post by migdd »

so lacklustre wrote:The setlist looks abit tired to me - same old same old.
Agreed. At least there's no sign of Pump It Up or Detectives.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Yeah, I can see why you guys are saying that about the setlist, but I've seen very little of his stuff from King of America - so you have to understand my stance here.
migdd

Post by migdd »

I wish I could have seen American Without Tears and Brilliant Mistake too, Spooky. But according to shaneystrummer, EC didn't play them because of the shortened show time due to bad weather. Bummer!!
verbal gymnastics

johnfoyle wrote:
Robert Kirkham/Buffalo News

The headliner performed songs he hasn’t played in years,
Could anyone tell me which ones these were? :? Unless by "years" he literally meant two.

I agree with SoLack. The setlist looks a bit tired. It would have been great to hear Town Cryer though - a truly genuine exception.

Does Alison (30:10) mean he sang the 2007 version of Alison as evidenced on the US tour?
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

I don't know about the setlist seeming tired.
Mind you, Elvis could take the stage and read the fine print on a loan application and I would feel like I had gotten my money's worth.
I have seen him several times now and every show was a completely different experience, but with one thing in common.........I was awestruck.
I love to hear him pull a song completely out of his ass just like everyone else, but never have any complaints when there are no suprises.
To me, just getting to see someone so utterly talented in action is something I could never tire of.

I'll stop now. :|
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Val, I think you may have found the root of the discussion here regarding who thinks the setlist is tired and who doesn't. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that we are females and, while we do love his music, that's not entirely all we love about him.

Loan application, stereo instructions. . . . . .
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Indeed.
migdd

Post by migdd »

spooky girlfriend wrote:Val, I think you may have found the root of the discussion here regarding who thinks the setlist is tired and who doesn't. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that we are females and, while we do love his music, that's not entirely all we love about him.

Loan application, stereo instructions. . . . . .
I would reply to this obsurd notion but I have to go re-catalog my EC CD collection for the 47th time. :lol: :lol: