Random Thoughts

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

It *does* sound so much better now than it did then, yes? :)
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

You know, my 25th reunion is coming up in October and I got an email today saying that one of my former classmates and a good friend of mine will be on David Letterman tonight. He was always an incredible athlete and was jumping over things. He's supposed to be jumping over cars or something tonight - sure hope he doesn't hurt himself! We're not exactly spring chickens anymore.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20352099
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Well, he made it fine. Although he clipped his knee on that third car and emailed me to say that he has ice on it now.

http://wdef.com/video/jumping_jeff_clay/08/2007_2

Speaking of athletes, this is what CNN is putting out today:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/08 ... index.html
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

stop picking on his little bitty arms, people!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Pandora radio.....is so cool.

I have itty bitty arms, and elbows like razor blades. They're like a weapon.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Having worked for the same employer for 18 years, I just applied for a new job somewhere else.

>ulp<

Terrifying and exciting. If I get it, it will be the first job I've had at a non-non-profit since 1984. It's a (very) long shot, but what the hell. As the old lottery commercials used to say, "You gotta be in it to win it."

PS, Moody that bit about the short arms nearly made me spit out my coffee. You should do stand-up. :D
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Yet again I did not win the Powerball.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Why not?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

I woke up this morning with not just one, but THREE songs stuck in my head.

see if you can Name That Tune!

I try to think about rainbows, when it gets bad

followed by

when I got the music, well I gotta place to go

then

hell shakin' mighty mighty fine...
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

That middle one sounded familiar but I googled it and it's not something I know. Sadly I woke up with the new Oasis song in my head. Damn catchy, even if it is another Beatles derivative.

Oh, and Carr's Ginger Lemon Creme cookies should be a controlled substance.
StrictTime

Love those Wildwood days....

Post by StrictTime »

I'm leaving for the shore (Wildwood, NJ) tomorrow. It could be a nice fun vacation or a trip into the fifth circle of Hell, depending on mine and my father's moods. So, happy early birthday to Elvis, and I'll be back in a week. Hope all you folks in the hot hot weather see some relief.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

enjoy.

This morning, clearly the heat is affecting me - that freakin' Carrie Underwood song has been in my head since I woke up.

I stuck my key into the side of his pretty little souped up 4 wheel drive
carved my name into his leather seats
took a Louisville slugger to both head lights, popped a hole in all 4 tires

etc.

and just where the hell is everybody?????
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

mood swung wrote:and just where the hell is everybody?????
I've been on the missing list for a week. I went to a festival over the weekend which was great and I had two days of being very very drunk. I know it's not big and it's not clever but there you go!

I've been at home this week doing DIY stuff. I'm pleased to say there was no disasters which is pretty good considering i was let loose with a drill!

Yesterday Mrs VG and I took my two nephews (aged 6 and 4) and my friend's daughter (aged 7) to McDonalds and to see Surf's Up. It was good fun but I was pleased when I had dropped them all off home. I was absolutely shattered.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

Just wait till you've got your own!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Kids - they're a joy, aren't they? :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The occasional time I endure a few minutes of that repetitive motion that is better known as team sports, usually soccer, I inevitably come away with one regret - I just so wish I could spit like the players. They seem to do it so effortlessly . The occasional time I expectorate it usually involves much preparation and I always seem to end up with drool on my chin. Not so with the players on the telly . Their mouths briefly open , usually as they run along , a gob of spit flys out and thats that. Do they have special training? Is it another aspect of the 'character building' I missed out on by avoiding sports at school?
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Mr. Foyle, I am also in the poor-spitter's club. I have a gap between the front teeth that always causes poor aim and velocity. I feel your pain.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

I love the random thoughts thread. Because I have a lot of them.

Upcoming week....hectic. Back to school, babysitting, seeing Elvis (for the first time). It ought to be throughly exhausting.

Patching jeans is a pain in the ass, and straight pins are the work of the Devil.

....Just waiting for my uncle to call....SAT, SAT, school, college, college...
:evil:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

johnfoyle wrote:The occasional time I endure a few minutes of that repetitive motion that is better known as team sports, usually soccer, I inevitably come away with one regret - I just so wish I could spit like the players. They seem to do it so effortlessly . The occasional time I expectorate it usually involves much preparation and I always seem to end up with drool on my chin. Not so with the players on the telly . Their mouths briefly open , usually as they run along , a gob of spit flys out and thats that. Do they have special training? Is it another aspect of the 'character building' I missed out on by avoiding sports at school?
We used to devote 10 minutes at each training session to spitting. It started off as standing still and spitting and then progressed to a gentle jog and spitting to each side. Lastly we would sprint and then spit in the air and have to ensure it didn't hit the person behind.

As we got better we then added the difficult task of putting a finger on one nostril and then blowing out mucus from the nose. The difficulty was ensuring mucus did not end up on your shirt.

Unfortunately since I retired I am not allowed to do this.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

snot rockets!

seriously, you bleed and they make you leave the field. you can spit all over the place and nobody cares. what's up with that?
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Elvis tomorrow, Il Songo show in Philly. First time yay!

And snot-rocketing is something necessary when you get a red skittle stuck in your nose...I was really young, needless to say....
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Strict Time, you are so much like my Jess. I swear you two might have been separated at birth.

I envy you seeing Elvis for the first time - it's like losing your viriginity, you know? I only saw him for the first time myself 3-1/2 years ago and I still remember every detail. In fact, Jess had done an art project with magazine pictures for school and used the words to Little Palaces from King of America. I took it with me and had Elvis sign it. Oh here, just check out this thread and I'll relive my own excitement with you.

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... sc&start=0
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

I'm back from Elvis, the set-list is posted over in General Discussion. I'll paraphrase what I said there here, which is that he could have completely sucked and I would still be amazed. Just being in the same room as Elvis did it for me. A lot of crooning, which I don't mind at all. He was also very funny, joking about and seemed to be in good humour. He referred to Diana as his 'favourite piano player' the entire time, which I thought was very cute. My uncle thought that Steve looked like a mad science teacher, which I now realise is somewhat apt. Personal favourites were Shipbuilding and Couldn't Call It Unexpected. I told my uncle that if he played that, it would make my year. I'll just try to remember that when I'm knee-deep in homework for the rest of the year!
So recap: I had a good time, and enjoyed the show immensely. I will definitely be going to more Elvis shows in the future.

And Spooky: Who knows? I don't look anything like my alleged 'mother'... :lol:
Otis Westinghouse

Elvis Costello Fan Forum: Families Reunited?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Oh, I was waiting for your post on how the show went and your reaction to it. Doc (for your benefit, Strict Time, since you haven't been around here all that long, this is my real-life husband) always loved Shipbuilding. But he has many favorites because he has been a fan since 1977.

You play some of those Elvis songs when you get deep into homework and you find yourself dragging around. His music has a way of pulling me out of some very bad times. Always remember the way you felt at that first show. And don't try to compare it to other shows you see in the future, because it won't ever be the same.

No two Elvis shows are ever the same! Very important info.

And your comment about Steve looking like a mad science teacher made me realize that you probably don't know that Elvis, as well as most of us around here, refer to Steve as the "Professor." Mad Professor, even. He is a man posessed.

I am *so* glad you enjoyed yourself. Maybe we are related. . . . .