Random Thoughts

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

PS, if you're actually looking for an IDEA, here's mine, if you've got about $350 to spend. I'd get her an Hermès scarf-- super luxe, but easily worn with a denim or leather jacket, and really warm (silk) in your cold part of exurbia. This is heirloom-quality stuff, she'll pass it on to your daughter.

Here's how I would do it: Go to their US flagship store on Madison Avenue, and get her a gift certificate. Then tell her you're taking her into the city. Go get a glass of champagne somewhere cool, and then give her the lovely and excitingly chic Hermès box and inform her it's time to go pick out her scarf. You could pick one yourself but they are SO gorgeous and there are so many to choose from, I can almost guarantee she'll love to pick out her own. Look at this one, of Paris rooftops, or this fun one, or this more classic style.

Can you tell I'm getting just the teensiest bit of vicarious pleasure out of this?

NB, the preceding is not a paid endorsement from Hermès, Paris™. Unfortunately for me, or I would pick this one in white.
Last edited by Mechanical Grace on Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

is ten the vinyl siding anniversary then?

Oh, silly me. It's so hard to tell when you can't see the wheels.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Mechanical Grace

:lol:
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Mechanical Grace wrote:PS, if you're actually looking for an IDEA, here's mine, if you've got about $350 to spend. I'd get her an Hermès scarf-- super luxe, but easily worn with a denim or leather jacket, and really warm (silk) in your cold part of exurbia. This is heirloom-quality stuff, she'll pass it on to your daughter.

Here's how I would do it: Go to their US flagship store on Madison Avenue, and get her a gift certificate. Then tell her you're taking her into the city. Go get a glass of champagne somewhere cool, and then give her the lovely and excitingly chic Hermès box and inform her it's time to go pick out her scarf. You could pick one yourself but they are SO gorgeous and there are so many to choose from, I can almost guarantee she'll love to pick out her own. Look at this one, of Paris rooftops, or this fun one, or this more classic style.

Can you tell I'm getting just the teensiest bit of vicarious pleasure out of this?

NB, the preceding is not a paid endorsement from Hermès, Paris™. Unfortunately for me, or I would pick this one in white.
Great idea. We do need a night out away from the kiddies and haven't been into the city for a while.

I really like that Paris rooftops one. I met her when we were both studying in Paris and my apartment was in Montmartre, with a view of the rooftops and the Eiffel Tower off in the distance. Just across the street from the Moulin de la Galette.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Mechanical Grace

Glad you likey. Have a great anniversary whatever you do!
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

the trouble with gazpacho is that it is cold soup.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Today, in one of my classes, the students are doing a warm up exercise wherein they identify who they feel is the best musician of all time and defending their opinion. Elvis' name has yet to come up.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Kids these days......wouldn't know good music if it hit them in the face! Why, in my day....*putters off grumbling incoherencies*

No, but seriously, I don't know what age you teach, but most people my age (highschool age) give me the blank stare or polite 'Oh cool.' Still, it's a pity, isn't it?
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
Mechanical Grace

I have a feeling he was talking about the original Elvis. Serious fan though I am, I don't think I'd mention our Elvis as a candidate for greatest musician of all time (nor Elvis P., for that matter, but I'd be less surprised to hear people suggest Presley than Costello).

On a related note, I remember very vividly where I was when I heard that Elvis Presley had died. I was 15, and I felt shocked.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Actually, MG, I was referring to our beloved El, albeit in a tongue in cheek manner. But I agree, he's probably not the best musician of all time, just the one with the most reissues!

P.S. The class is ninth graders and mentioned Young Jeezy, T.I., and Wu Tang Clan. The last I might go for.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

'Best' is so subjective...I don't think I'd vote El for best either, but I don't know who I would. My little brother is entering the tenth grade and has an affinity for Wu-Tang as well.

I need whole grain bread. Or at least wheat.
Mechanical Grace

Ah, I see. Thought it was a 30-yrs-ago-today thing.

I just saw a razor blade ad with Tiger Woods, Roger Federer, and Thierry Henry. Jeeze, first it was immigrants cleaning our floors, now it's French soccer players selling us Schick (or was it Gillette?). The new world order has arrived. (Speaking of tongue-in-cheek.)
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

oily slick wrote:the trouble with gazpacho is that it is cold soup.
Well you can always heat it up! You don't have to think of it as cold soup, maybe vitamin drink would help? I stayed with an Andaluz family once, and they just had a jug in the fridge everyday that you slugged when you wanted it. It needs to be really hot for it to work its magic. I always make at least one batch a summer, usually several, and this year not once, just not the heat. Its function was to keep the campesinos' thirst at bay, using the cheap plentiful stuff that came to hand. Great for that, and how healthy? It's one of my favourite things in the world, when well done in the right context.

WSS: have a fun anniv. I can't remember what I bought. I would only buy something like that (not that I'd dare spend that much) if I knew it could be refunded! If it works, wonderful!

I can't remember what I bought for my 10th, though I think we have different items to you in the US for each year. We did go to Cambridge's top and only Michelin-starred restaurant. Some people hate it for its over-fussy food and hordes of attentive staff, but it's serious gourmet pleasure and I was thrilled (there were foams between each course, and my dessert was based entirely on pineapple, done 6 different ways or something: sorbet, foam, souffle, mousse, biscuit, etc. - you get the idea). The wine list was like an encyclopedia, so I did what I often do and asked for a reco. He went for a mid-price suggestion of about £40. I had to decide whether to pretend to keep up with such lunacy, or be straight. I decided that in 2002, I could be straight: 'er, I was thinking of something a bit more modestly priced'. He was entirely obliging, and we had two very passable half bottles, coming to over ten quid less than his reco in total. Later on, the wine waiter turned around too quickly at a neighbouring table and spilt a tray of dessert wines, one of which went all over my wife's dress. They were suitably apologetic, and when the bill came, explained they'd taken the wine off the bill (so we only paid £140 not £170). If only I'd gone for an £80er or above. Worst decision over a choice of wine I've made in my life!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Mechanical Grace

Otis Westinghouse wrote: I would only buy something like that (not that I'd dare spend that much) if I knew it could be refunded...

...we only paid £140 not £170
Ahh, but see, you did spend that much and didn't know it could be refunded-- that a bit of it was refunded was sheer windfall! What you mean to say is, you think a shared meal is worth that but a scarf ain't. Matter of opinion only. I think a landmark anniversary should rate a bit of financial stretch, but only a bit, and only relative to what you can afford, of course.

Anyway, I'm hardly one to be doling out marital advice of any stripe! :? :roll: :(
Otis Westinghouse

Well actually we were hoping to get out of there for quite a bit less, but when you add on the aperitif, £10 a bottle mineral water, digestif, boy does it add up. And then you're too pissed to care. It's over in an evening, but it lasts a lot longer.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

School schedule came in the mail today. Ugh. They gave me a Study Hall every day. Just....ugh.
Otis Westinghouse

Is that for misbehaviour?
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

:lol: Nope. I'm one of the best behaved (read: dorky) children I know. Only one detention in my life. For being late. It's where you sit and do your homework or classwork. For someone who already does her homework at home, it's really unnecessary, and I'd much rather have a course there. I did get all of the advanced placement courses I wanted, though, so they didn't screw up my whole schedule.

I'm going to my cousin and her girlfriend's wedding shower today. It's a pity they can't actually get married legally. People are dumb.
Otis Westinghouse

They're in the wrong country! Keep dorking.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Good luck on the school year!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Those AP classes can be tough - Jess just took a bunch last year, but ended up with almost a semester of credit hours to start college with. They're a lot of work but if you get through them then goody for you. :)

Jess moved into her dorm apartment last week and her classes begin tomorrow. I saw the freezer yesterday - it was full of frozen pizzas and popsicles. She's good to go. :lol:
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Thanks you guys. And 'keep dorking' in one of the best things I've heard in a while. My only grouse about the school thing is that positively everything costs money. AP tests: money. SAT:money. And of course, college:money. I didn't even take the SAT last year when I should have. But I'm certain I'll do quite alright... :wink:

Congrats to your daughter Spooky, I can't wait until college. I'm sure she's excited as anything to be....grown up, in a sense. :D

School starts on the sixth, but I get to see Elvis the eighth...I can hear my friends shushing my excited babble now....
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

does anybody else feel like beating themselves senseless with a woodens stick?

no?

guess it's just me.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

does anybody else feel like beating themselves senseless with a wooden stick?

no?

guess it's just me.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

StrictTime wrote: Ugh. They gave me a Study Hall every day. Just....ugh.
Oh, to be granted an hour a day when I have only to be quiet and mind my own business, and in return, I am left alone!
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on