What are you drinking right now?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Sounds like a good day to me! *hic* :D :D
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Double gin (Brokers) and tonic. Actually, I just waved the tonic bottle in front of the glass.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I've begun a rock-climbing class so alkehol is out FOR NOW.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Iced tea. I don't do alcohol.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Tea is made of one constituent and that's tea.
and ice!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Fishfinger king wrote:Tea is made of one constituent and that's tea.
You can't beat a nice Assam.
Black tea should only be what it is (and the Clipper one I mentioned is superb). Whitre and green tea is perfect for flavouring and rather dull solo. Check it out. Was impressed to find various flavours in Tesco today. And Clipper organic coffee too. I love Clipper, apart from their godawful Earl Grey. Can anyone top Twinings for bags of Earl?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
littletriggers

Post by littletriggers »

Coffee, Brandy, & Special Brew !
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Homemade strawberry-pineapple smoothie. Yum.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Homemade cosmopolitan:

1 shot Vodka
1 shot Triple Sec
1/2 shot Chambourd
1/2 shot Roses Lime Juice
1 shot Pineapple Juice
1/2 cup cold water

Shaken with lots of ice and poured into frosted martini glasses. I'll be passing out shortly!!!
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Sounds delicious. On Saturday, I followed recipe for a drink called 'Holy Water':

1.5 parts vodka
.5 part light rum
.5 part triple sec

Combine the above over ice in a highball glass, top with tonic water and a dash of grendadine. Strong, but delicious.
migdd

Post by migdd »

That sounds tasty! Definitely something that will keep the vampires at bay!

I don't have any rum in the house at the moment but I'm definitely going to try that intriguing concoction next weekend. Thanks for the tip!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Amaretto Sour
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

it's a girl thing.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
bobster

Post by bobster »

I'm not supposed to be here anymore...can't let myself get sucked in again (at least until unemployment rears its head again, which might be sooner than I think) but I just couldn't resist the opportunity to turn you all on to Manhattan's, the whiskey-based inversion of a gin or vodka martini. It's a great way to enjoy today's high endy boozes -- it preserves their flavor but enhances the drinkability.

Here's the recipe as I'm currently practicing it. Remember, as with a martini, all your booze MUST be at room temperature when you start. (The secret ingredient in a good martini or Manhattan is the tiny amount of very cold water it picks up from the ice).

Start out with a cocktail shaker with several ice cubes. Pour the following ingredients into the shaker:

Roughly 2-2.5 parts whiskey (a good bourbon like Woodbridge or Maker's Mark works here,but so does Canadian)

1 ( or slightly less) part sweet/red vermouth

A healthy mega-multi dash of bittters

Put the stop back on the shaker and shake enthusiastically for a few seconds, strain into a martini glass. Maraschino cherries are optional, but dandy. Enjoy with "The Daily Show."
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Hi bobster!

Done the Daily Show already, but still drinking margaritas. Much needed after sending the daughter off to college yesterday. :)
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Ice cold PBR. Very sad story from my former neighborhood bar.

http://blog.nola.com/times-picayune/200 ... _in_b.html

Used to drink ice cold PBR there every other day or so. Wonderful little place where you could rub shoulders with Harry Dean Stanton, Sean Penn, Vince Vaughn, or Ray Davies on a good day. :cry:
migdd

Post by migdd »

Vodka Gimlet with extra water and ice in a tall glass. Refreshing on these hot summer nights.
Mechanical Grace

migdd wrote:Vodka Gimlet with extra water and ice in a tall glass. Refreshing on these hot summer nights.
Yum. Vodka gimlets are a fave of mine. Make me one, please. Another crisp, sour fave is vodka + grapefruit juice, which for some reason is called a Greyhound. Fits, somehow, no?

As to Margaritas, I have an excellent tip: if you can't be bothered with all the traditional ingredients and instead use a bottled mix, try substituting with cans of frozen limeade. Less sweet, more limey, really fresh-tasting. You'll never go back.

For now: fresh, piping hot black coffee. The temperature has dropped to a gorgeous 62 degrees, so it's the first day I've craved hot (rather than iced) coffee in months.

My current brand is Trader Joe's organic shade-grown Nicaraguan. I read somewhere that if you're going to buy only one organic product, it should be your coffee, because the pesticides leach so directly into what you drink, and also because coffee is not regulated the same way as food and so the standards are more lenient. But I can't confirm that that's true. Anyone know?
Mechanical Grace

pophead2k wrote: Very sad story from my former neighborhood bar.

:cry:
Wow. Sad indeed. Fucking awful. Sorry to hear.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

In two hours I will be drinking whatever is alcoholic that I can get my hands on.

^^^^Yes, gimlets are very nice!^^^^^

Where's MG gone? Regulars seem to be dropping like flies.
Otis Westinghouse

Re: What are you drinking right now?

Not right now, but after going to the Royal Academy in London yesterday with my dad and my oldest son, we adjourned to Fortnum and Mason to drink the best tea ever. £8 for an individual pot of speciality tea isn't exactly cheap, but it was a special day out so I had a Yunnan Golden Needles tea that had the most subtle and delicious flavour.

http://www.andaotea.com/news/ayungold.htm

It made me realise how, like fine wine, speciality tea can be a wonderfully complex and exciting thing. I need to invest in some. My dad had Darjeeling bannockburn, very full flavoured and also delicious.

And they had the best scones I've ever tasted.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Thanks for resurrecting this thread, Otis.

At this moment I'm sipping on my 2nd morning cup of grocery-store brand (Salada) green tea. Not bad, if a bit generic-tasting, for the price and very convenient to fix up with a bit of lemon while at work.
Otis Westinghouse

I was obliged by a sense of duty to the common good. Having scaled the peak of fine tea drinking, I wanted to spread the word with missionary zeal. I'm definitely going to research some tea suppliers and order some. Because I'm worth it.

Actually, could I also share the fact that I had some very good wines on my first ever visit to Austria last week? I've heard of the quality of Austrian wines. Since the great anti-freeze fiasco (they were sweetening wines to meet the heavy demand from Germany with it, or that's how they explained it to me), quality control has been very high, resulting in smaller output, but higher quality. You might see some in Oddbins or other original outlets here. I had two whites. Local grapes Gruner Veltliner and Welschriesling, the latter produced by 'Gross' - not destined for the US, I fear! The latter was luvverly. Then a serious red - a 'cuvée' (blend) of Cab Sauv, Merlot and a local grape. Sublime. Then an even more sublime 'eiswein' - complex and ravishing dessert wine from grapes picked once the frost hits them. I don't know why, but it intensifies the flavour. Followed off with an apricot schnapps. All accompanied by a superb dinner of wild garlic soup and then one of my favourite dishes, salt-baked line-caught sea bass. Yum, yum, yum. Big thumbs up to Austrian food and booze on this first encounter.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Not right now, but after going to the Royal Academy in London yesterday with my dad and my oldest son, we adjourned to Fortnum and Mason to drink the best tea ever. £8 for an individual pot of speciality tea isn't exactly cheap, but it was a special day out so I had a Yunnan Golden Needles tea that had the most subtle and delicious flavour.

http://www.andaotea.com/news/ayungold.htm

It made me realise how, like fine wine, speciality tea can be a wonderfully complex and exciting thing. I need to invest in some. My dad had Darjeeling bannockburn, very full flavoured and also delicious.

And they had the best scones I've ever tasted.
I'm not much of a tea drinker, but my wife brought some of this back from France last time she went there and it's quite a nice change of pace for a Sunday morning:

My son convinced me to get a bottle of this the last time I was at the shop (because he liked the label) and I did. Turned out to be very nice:

PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Nine times out of ten I usually go for the pretty label too and sod what's on the back. :D

At this very moment I'm on the (cigarettes and) chocolate (soya) milk. I like the slightly thicker consistency.