Crowded House reunion

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
invisible Pole

Crowded House reunion

Post by invisible Pole »

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art ... 1003535555

Crowded House Hops On Reunion Bandwagon

January 22, 2007, 10:15 AM ET
Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Crowded House will reform after a 10-year-plus hiatus for a tour this year, including a stop at California's Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival in late April. The reunion, which was first reported by several Australian newspapers and confirmed by the webmaster of the Neil Finn site Frenz.com, will coincide with a new studio album.

Finn had previously maintained he would never revive Crowded House following the 2005 suicide of drummer Paul Hester. "It's an instant knee-jerk reaction, 'no Paul no Crowded House' for some, and you, know that's actually okay," webmaster Peter Green wrote on the Frenz.com message board. "Simply don't see them or play the new record. But there is a good chance you might be missing out on something special. Sometimes it's worth taking a leap of faith and giving something a chance."

"Neil has had a hankering to play in a band again and what better band to do this in but the one he had the most joy with," he continued.

The solo album Finn previously told Billboard.com would feature Crowded House bassist Nick Seymour has morphed into a Crowded House release, although it is unknown when it will hit stores. Also unclear is who will replace Hester; auditions are said to be underway to fill the slot. Multi-instrumentalist Mark Hart, who joined Crowded House full time in 1992, will be back in the fold for the live dates.

"It's a pretty emotional record, I think," Finn said of the new disc, which was produced by Ethan Johns. "It's hard for me to evaluate, 'cause I'm so close to it now. But I think it's fairly simple, which I'm really happy about. There's a lot of heart in the record, which I'm happy about, too."

Crowded House formed in 1985 and is best known for hits like "Don't Dream It's Over," "Something So Strong," "World Where You Live" and "Fall At Your Feet." The group's final show, held Nov. 24, 1996, in Melbourne, was released last week as the CD/DVD set "Farewell to the World" by EMI.

Last year, Finn and his brother Tim, who also contributed to Crowded House for a time, reunited with their seminal New Wave act Split Enz for a a short tour nearly 22 years after the band's split.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Nice! He was dropping hints in a recent interview. Good on him, though it will off course be very sad to be Paulless.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Why would anyone have a problem with them reforming for a tour? Hester will be missed, but that is hardly any reason to retire the band forever... in fact, I would have thought the reformation is a wonderful way of honouring his memory.

Also, nice to see the writer did his research: "Crowded House formed in 1985 and is best known for hits like "Don't Dream It's Over," "Something So Strong," "World Where You Live" and "Fall At Your Feet." The group's final show, held Nov. 24, 1996, in Melbourne, was released last week as the CD/DVD set "Farewell to the World" by EMI.

It was actually in front of the Sydney Opera House (he was only approximately 600 miles out) - I was there and it was an excellent (if rather uncomfortably packed) concert with some fine support acts in Powderfinger and You Am I (among others).
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Odd coincidence...... not more than two hours ago I watched CH's final show in Sydney on VH1's Classics in Concert. A wonderful show- this band had an embarassment of riches in the tunes department. I'm thrilled they are reforming, even being minus the wonderful personality of Paul Hester. Perhaps they'll dedicate and play 'Italian Plastic' to him at the shows.
Masterpiece?

Post by Masterpiece? »

I also caught that concert on VH1 Classics a few times over the weekend. I'm glad to hear it's on DVD, that's a no-brainer buy for me.

I kind of hope Tim Finn gets involved, I really loved Woodface, which he had a hand in making. But it sounds like the songs are already in the can. Maybe he'll tour with them at least.
Everybody's hiding under covers... who's making Lover's Lane safe again for lovers?"
Otis Westinghouse

You're right, Tim(e), that writer's an arsehole.

I'd like them to tour with a Maori choir. The song Together Alone was one of my absolute faves of theirs, real spine-tingling stuff.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Best news ive heard in a long time IP! :D
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
goodbyegirl

Post by goodbyegirl »

This is great news! Thanks for sharing the info.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art ... 1003576402

Marr, Dixie Chicks Enrich Crowded House Album

As expected, the newly reformed Crowded House will release its first album in nearly 15 years this summer. "Time on Earth" will feature contributions from guitarist Smiths/Modest Mouse guitarist Johnny Marr on a pair of songs, plus production credits from Ethan Johns and Steve Lillywhite.

The album will be released July 2 in the U.K. via Parlophone and July 10 in North America via ATO Records.

"Time on Earth" was formed from the foundation of what would have been frontman Neil Finn's next solo album, which was in the works with Crowded House bassist Nick Seymour. It will be the first album to feature the band's new drummer Matt Sherrod, who replaces the late Paul Hester. One cut, "Silent House," was co-written with the Dixie Chicks, whose own version of the song appeared on last year's Grammy-award winning "Taking the Long Way."

Crowded House's last studio effort, "Together Alone," was released in 1993. In January, the group released the CD/DVD set "Farewell to the World," which chronicled its final concert in 1996 in Sydney.

Crowded House is confirmed for only a handful of concerts so far, including a gig tomorrow (April 26) at the Marquee Theatre in Tempe, Ariz., which precedes an appearance at Coachella this weekend.

Here is the track list to "Time on Earth":

"Nobody Wants To"
"Don't Stop Now"
"She Called Up"
"Say That Again"
"Pour Le Monde"
"Even a Child"
"Heaven That I'm Making"
"Silent House"
"English Trees"
"Walked Her Way Down"
"Transit Lounge"
"You Are the One To Make Me Cry"
"A Sigh"
"People Are Like Suns"

April 25, 2007, 1:20 PM ET
Katie Hasty, N.Y.
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Any news on any UK gigs ?
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

UK & Ireland: November/December

Mon 26th Nov - Dublin, National Stadium
Tues 27th Nov - Belfast, Waterfront Hall
Thurs 29th Nov - Manchester, MEN Arena
Fri 30th Nov - Glasgow, SECC
Sat 1st Dec - Nottingham, Arena
Mon 3rd Dec - Birmingham, NEC
Tues 4th Dec - Cardiff, International Arena
Thurs 6th Dec - Bournemouth International Centre
Fri 7th Dec - Brighton, Centre
Sun 9th Dec - London, Wembley Arena
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Already have my tickets for the Birmingham gig....looking forward to it.
corruptio optimi pessima
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

Saw the reformed Crowded House twice in the last month. First time in Hyde Park co-headlining with Peter Gabriel where they were fantastic. Great sound but into their last 20 minutes they got rained off by some serious horriffic, dire, horrible rain. Clouds about to lash seen here:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-kY9oHeNCE

Then the band decide if they should continue or not as the rain starts.  Listen to the shreiks:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=o33fZVJMIUg

The scene 5 minutes later during the last CH song:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FUaeuuxeWZc

A few days later I saw them again when I won tickets to see them headline at the opening gig of the IndigO2 venue in London (the venue EC was supposed to play). Great gig but subduded audience, jolly on the free tickets. "Shut up ya bastards you can talk tomorrow" said Mr Finn at one point. But they were tight, sounding great, and the new drummer is sensational.

Here's a great KCRW feed of the reformed House in action. Would love to see then at the National Stadium in Dublin, saw then do an amazing gig there in 1992. I recommend the new album too.

http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs/mb/m ... tion=watch

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Thanks IP - you are a star as always! :D
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Mike Boom

Post by Mike Boom »

Got Time on Earth a few days ago, this has been getting pretty lukewarm reviews, but as usual the truth seems to be somewhat different. While on the first few listens its not quite in the same league as "Together Alone" it still seems to be a set full of typically great lyrics and some really moving tunes, a lot of which are obviously a reaction to the death of Paul Hester (the record is dedicate to him also), so its rather a sombre affair. Still, on the first few listens there seem to be at least a handful of new CH classics , especially the nicely guitar fuzzy "Silent House".

Pity that like so many bands they have chosen to play the Austin City Limits festival instead of a proper gig in the Lone Star State - grrrrr.
echos myron like a siren
with endurance like the liberty bell
and he tells you of the dreamers
but he's cracked up like the road
and he'd like to lift us up, but we're a very heavy load
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Got to agree. Time on Earth is a slow burner, but definitely worth the commitment. I really love 'You're the Only One to Make Me Cry' and 'English Trees', but all of the songs are great and just take a bit of time to sink in. A beautiful record and I'm looking forward to the gig at the NEC in December.

Incidentally, despite some lukewarm reviews, it scores quite highly on metacritic - 78 last time I looked.
corruptio optimi pessima
Otis Westinghouse

Critics schmitics! Want to get this now. Wanted it to be great, but didn't want it to be disappointing. I generally loved Together Alone. On the list.