Elvis and Allen play Lyon, July 26

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis and Allen play Lyon, July 26

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone here going?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://progressix-search.sdv.fr/cgi-bin ... s=costello

27 juillet 2007

Elvis Costello, soul dans la nuit

Hier soir à Fourvière. Avec Allen Toussaint et des cuivres enchanteurs, l'élégant Costello a réussi à faire swinguer les pierres romaines

Les Nuits de Fourvière ont placé la barre assez haut cette année. Et c'est un peu comme si Elvis Costello avait choisi de relever le défi. Dans un Odéon rempli de 1200 fans, le bouillant guitariste a proposé une revue soul et swing absolument parfaite, avec l'aide du légendaire Allen Toussaint et d'une section de cuivres époustouflante.
Sanglé dans un costard noir, ses éternelles lunettes vissées au bout du nez, Elvis Costello arrive vers 21 h 30, empoigne une Telecaster antique et lance « Wonder woman ». Le piano swingue comme au bord du Mississippi, les cuivres soulignent la rythmique et l'orgue de Steve Nieve souffle comme un coeur affolé. Sans laisser respirer le public ni son groupe, Costello enchaîne avec « I don't want to go to Chelsea » poussé par une guitare rageuse et une batterie en syncope.

Hommage aux Beatles

« A l'autre siècle, il y avait une boîte à Liverpool, qui ressemblait à des catacombes comme ici. Le groupe qui y jouait a connu un certain succès Ils s'appelaient les Beatles et jouaient cette chanson, écrite par Allen Toussaint » explique Costello avant d'attaquer « A certain girl », qui est chantée par son auteur. C'est « Tears, tears and more tears » qui suit, sur un rythme presque lent, très swamp. Comme si on marchait sur un terrain boueux de Louisiane.

Costello explique ensuite qu'il ne se souvenait pas d'être venu en 1984 (le 19 février au Palais d'Hiver), comme on vient de lui rappeler. Le concert n'était pas inoubliable il est vrai. Mais Elvis Costello a trouvé
la formule et enchaîne avec « Universal echo », la seule chanson que j'ai écrite sur la musique explique son auteur. Au final, après leurs tubes respectifs (« Watching the detectives », « Pump it up » pour Costello, « Fortune Teller » pour Toussaint), ce concert à deux têtes et dix musiciens en forme de revue soul s'achève dans une ferveur intense. On dirait le sud.

T.M.

Google translation -

Costello Elvis, soul in the night

Yesterday evening in Fourvière. With Allen All Saints' day and coppers enchanters, elegant Costello succeeded in making swinguer the Roman stones The Nights of Fourvière placed the bar rather high this year. And it is a little as if Costello Elvis had chosen to take up the challenge. In Odéon filled of 1200 fans, boiling it guitarist proposed an absolutely perfect review soul and swing, with the assistance of legendary Allen All Saints' day and of a copper époustouflante section.

Strapped in a black suit, its eternal glasses screwed at the end of the nose, Elvis Costello arrives towards 9 p.m. 30, seizure ancient Telecaster and launches “Wonder womanâ€
Blight

Post by Blight »

I understand now why nobody replied to my topic about this gig I went to !

A previous subject already existed !

Anyway, sounds a little bit surprising that no one among the 45 who read that didn't ask for information about it ! :?

Well, I confirm what the Progrès said : Elvis was brilliant and the band too !

Only Steve Nieve looked a little bit sulky but both of them played together an extra song, which happens to be one of my favourite, I mean the moving melodramatic and romantic I want you !

It had been my first time ever at an Evis concert, he was singing 2 feet in front of me, how impressive ! :D

Lyons was his first concert in France in 7 years ! 8)
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I know that feeling well of Elvis singing right in front of you. It's pretty great. That happened to me in Memphis when he sang at the Hi-Tone. Did you get spit in your face from his singing like we did? :lol:
Blight

Post by Blight »

spooky girlfriend wrote:I know that feeling well of Elvis singing right in front of you. It's pretty great. That happened to me in Memphis when he sang at the Hi-Tone. Did you get spit in your face from his singing like we did? :lol:
I nearly did ! :)

Anyway, never could I have thought of Elvis being such an amiable person !

He is really cool, always smiling, saying jokes !

He's THE man, yeah ! 8)
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I'm pretty sure he occasionally enjoys those smaller venues with genuine fans. It's a very different concert experience for him and for us. It seems like only yesterday that I had my first Elvis concert experience - I remember it well. I'm glad you had an enjoyable evening.
Blight

Post by Blight »

spooky girlfriend wrote:I'm pretty sure he occasionally enjoys those smaller venues with genuine fans. It's a very different concert experience for him and for us. It seems like only yesterday that I had my first Elvis concert experience - I remember it well. I'm glad you had an enjoyable evening.
THanks a lot ! :wink:

The pity is that I couldn't keep my camera with me ! Lots of people had their mobiles and kept filming the concert whereas I stupidly admitted I had one camera and they wouldn"t let you attend the theatre with it !

I assure you that Elvis doesn't give a damn being shot all night long ! Everyone stayed very respectful, only clapping their hands, singing the lyrics and yelling Yeah all concert long !
:roll:

Elvis said this has been one of his finest moments of his European tour and I'm sure that he means it ! :D

One more thing is that.....he's got such a powerful voice with no asperity and still this unique vibrato ! :oops:

Amazing what a 50-year performer can show, how enthusiastic he can be !

By the way, have you heard about a decent biography about Elvis ?

I'd be glad to get some ! :wink:
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Blight wrote: By the way, have you heard about a decent biography about Elvis ?
There are no decent biographies. You're better off reading bio stuff from the net.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Blight wrote:By the way, have you heard about a decent biography about Elvis ?
Try 'Complicated Shadows'. Patchy in places, but by far the best and the most authoratative out there, and has lots of stuff that's not on the net:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complicated-Sha ... 037&sr=8-1