Elvis, Allen play London , July 7 '07

Pretty self-explanatory
kilburn_bhoy

Post by kilburn_bhoy »

I got into Elvis about three years ago Neil. I passed on a gig about 2 years ago because I only had the 1st three LP's and didn't think I'd know enough material. Then I heard 'Trust' and then the obsession kicked in, I own most of his back catalogue now. I thought that Saturday night was screaming out for a rendition of 'Clowntime Is Over No. 2' with that brass section and thought it was a shame he dropped 'Deep Dark Truthful Mirror' but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I am looking forward to seeing him with the Imposters sometime in the future. I think it is fair comment that people have been criticising the production on 'The River In Reverse' because the songs sound miles better live.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Fishfinger king wrote:Presumably the duration of the set was down to the venue.
I wouldn't have thought so. I think Elvis is contractually obliged to play a minimum of 90 minutes. However my only bases for this are that in 2004 in Bournemouth when he also had a bad throat he only played 90 minutes. This time his voice was also hoarse. I would have thought it was up to him to decide how long he played subject to the contractual minimum and to the closing time of the show, which was given as 10.20pm.
Fishfinger king wrote:In the DVD liner noted he complains about London as a venue compared to Liverpool. The audience seemed good though, and, Elvis, you reap what you sow - if you play a cataclysmically long set with lots of obscurities to a Liverpool audience in a small venue they are likely to appreciate it. If you rip off London audiences with a short set at an exorbitant price then it's surprising they were even as appreciative as they were. I expect more.
Absolutely. However I should think that he got paid a fixed fee and it was the promoter who set the prices. In this case they got stung.

I was chatting to one of the sound engineers for the festival on the tube on the way home and he said the festival had not been very successful. Indeed it was absolutely torrential rain at Bryan Ferry's first night and they had to cancel his second night because of poor ticket sales. Most of the concerts had the same ticket prices and the same poor weather and thus the same poor audiences.
so lacklustre wrote:
And during Pump It Up, middle-aged fans surged forward to dance, ignoring their lack of ability

It was you Verbal!!!
:lol:

So true.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

littetrigger posted these atmospheric shots from this show on flickr

littletriggers

Post by littletriggers »

Thanks for posting pix Martin, hope everyone enjoys some of my other posts on flickr. I have a question, while looking around this group site apart JFs posted pix from Saturday I cant find any pix listed for viewing, are they removed after a while ?
Forget that I looked a little harder and found some , just have to check out uploading some now .
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

You just need a URL, e.g. through a photo site like photobucket.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/music/2007/ ... lt_of.html

Guardian Unlimited: Arts blog - music

I put my faith in the cult of Elvis Costello

His music always defies expectations, which can be a little annoying. But it's also why I'll follow him wherever he wants to go.

Ian Winwood

July 12, 2007 4:25 PM

Elvis Costello makes a joke. Standing before 2,000 people in the grounds of the Tower of London he coughs lightly, places a hand in front of his mouth and excuses himself. "I'm sorry," he says, "it seems I have something in my throat. It must be down to all the CO2 being emitted from Wembley Stadium".

While in an ugly suburb in north west London the in-crowd were busy "raising awareness" about a little known topic they call "the environment", in another part of town Elvis Costello was letting his music do the talking. It all depends on what you care to believe. It might be that you believe in Madonna and her rallying cry of Hey You. Maybe you believe that music can change the world. Me, I believe in Elvis Costello. Actually, I believe in Elvis Costello's music. I don't think it can change the world, but I know it can change my world.

In 16 years I must have seen Costello play on at least 20 occasions. I've seen him play sets so obscure I've wanted to slap him. I've witnessed performances that are as close to magic as anything you will ever see. And for the sake of his own identity, for the sake of his music, I've seen him gamble his audience away. Only the committed now remain. We show up once a year or so, alive with the knowledge that we don't know what we're going to get. We're a cult. Would you like to buy a flower?

Elvis Costello was once asked what obligations he had to his audience and he answered, plainly, "absolutely none." When the VH1 music channel called last year asking if he would play a concert of his hits, Costello replied that if they wanted to someone just to play hits they should call Joe Jackson. And then he put the phone down.

Costello got his own way and played the set he wanted to play, but the story points up the fact that these days this is a man out of time. The folks over at Wembley Stadium are right, there is something in the air. But it's not what they think it is: it's smugness and nostalgia. It's the Police doing the chicken-in-a-basket run, only in stadiums. It's rock stars cosying up to politicians, or making mawkish noises for a dead princess.

Elvis Costello may have walked himself to the margins of the mainstream, but for a number of us he is still a key component in the battle of ideas. He won't get fooled again, because he was never fooled in the first place.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Great to hear of a new fan, Kilburn Bhoy - so what made you buy the first three albums in the first place? Rock magazine fan made curious by an article? Or hearing a song on the radio?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Dave posts to listerv -

The same fellow who uploaded these great
Tower of London pics to the wiki...
http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... -07_London

...has uploaded several videos to youtube...
I Can't Stand Up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm4g-YJ8RUU
Fortune Teller http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgSFWj4wG6k
The Sharpest Thorn http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3NIGHJQBHU
Alison http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79upgAfHvQc
Pump it Up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4REdjp4Bw00

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some images from The Tower -

Much as I enjoyed the Liverpool and London shows , it's taken that blog in The Guardian to focus my mind on why neither left me bug eyed with enthusiasm. In truth , they were a mere checking in with Elvis. Since he had nothing new to offer ( beyond what had been seen and heard in recordings of last years shows) all that was required was that we appreciate the reworkings of old favourites. There was much of that to see, particularly Allen and Steve's piano/keyboard parts. Indeed the absolute highlight of each show , especially Liverpool , was Steve's piano workout towards the end of Clubland.

What the casual fan will make of this tour will be interesting. They might go with hopes of seeing some 1970's/80's powerpop. What they will get is a excellent soul revue with a dash of Costello. That may be acceptable to those who have seen earlier shows but may be rather perplexing to others.

As I've said before , Elvis has and continues to be a a musical conduit for me. Just this week I've been listening over and over to a Mutabaruka album 'Life Squared' . It has a cracking cover of The Monkey . A Dave Batholomew/ Pearl King song for sure but curiosity as to how it contrasts with Elvis' version drew me to it. The rest of the album is just as strong. Since there was nothing new in the shows , I haven't discovered anything new through them. The recent Amazon and iTunes lists have highlighted some new stuff but not in the way a obscure cover or new song with a strange reference will. Now with Elvis comments in El Mundo, we hear sounds, yet again, about not recording again etc. I keep thinking about that line that finished that Marion McPartland tune last Sept - Elvis only new lyric in '06 - ' I'm not buying anything I don't already own ' . Has his new family life caused Elvis to , perhaps, concentrate on recycling his past works?

Of course , it could be the usual start-of-tour rustiness. The new bassist told some us that there was very little rehearsal. By the end, perhaps, there will be new Costello tunes, new Toussaint obscurities etc.

A really great thing about the U.K. shows was the many fans I met. Of all ages , they were remarkable in their interest and concern about what seems to them the lack of appreciation of Elvis in the U.K.. There was a consensus that the new re-issues are probably a good thing. New fans will discover Elvis via a form that is manageable is size and true to the sequencing integrity of the original releases. This will, perhaps, lead to a more rounded and considered appreciation of his work.
manoutoftime

Post by manoutoftime »

Being a Dub don't get to see Elvis as much as I would like ,first time since Glastonbury - imagine the price would hurt the crowd but for me it was value for money despite the set time(which was down to the venue).
Some of my favourite live stuff is the TKO tour so it was great to hear him with a live horn section;agree with another poster a few tunes from Punch the Clock would have been nice - Shipbuilding or the World and his Wife
My only gripe was the idiot security guy who shouted and made himself a distraction from Clubland on.
It was hardly a security hazard with the place half empty for people to stand in the space between sections A and B ; if so ask people to politely move on rather than scream at people and push people around during the set. He was such a bad distraction particuarly during teh likes of Alison. Thankfully he gave up by the encore.
littletriggers

Post by littletriggers »

Manoutoftime , glad you agree about the Horns and the chance missed to play from Punch The Clock . Being just a big daft old Hector I think I will get up in the morning and play P.T.C. at full volume and sing-a-long in voice louder than tonights Bastille fire works ! Vive Le France.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

manoutoftime wrote:My only gripe was the idiot security guy who shouted and made himself a distraction from Clubland on.
It was hardly a security hazard with the place half empty for people to stand in the space between sections A and B ; if so ask people to politely move on rather than scream at people and push people around during the set. He was such a bad distraction particuarly during teh likes of Alison. Thankfully he gave up by the encore.
Are you talking about the big black guy with the dreadlocks because he had a severe personality bypass. I know where I'd like to have stuck his walkie talkie...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
kilburn_bhoy

Post by kilburn_bhoy »

Neil, I was big into Joe Jackson and Any Trouble at the time. Getting some EC seemed like the logical progression. If I can get them cheap I have a tendency to buy a couple of albums by a band I'm interested in rather than just one and I was told that the 1st three LPs were classics so...
littletriggers

It Dread Ina Ingland

Post by littletriggers »

V.G. , when I went into the arena the first steward I spoke to I asked how are we for nipping down the front when EC comes on the Dread heard and said no way, turned out he was Chief Steward. Not being a brawler I stayed put only trouble with that was when not watching the show I had to watch this sandwhich short of the proverbial, steward picking his nose most of the evening !
manoutoftime

Post by manoutoftime »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
manoutoftime wrote:My only gripe was the idiot security guy who shouted and made himself a distraction from Clubland on.
Are you talking about the big black guy with the dreadlocks because he had a severe personality bypass. I know where I'd like to have stuck his walkie talkie...
that was the bloke had to listen to him shout for a good 10 minutes oushing and shouting.