Elvis and Allen play Liverpool, July 5 '07

Pretty self-explanatory
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Damn, want to win one of the tickets. Too far away. Interview on tomorrow.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I have my tickets in my sweaty hands - hurrah!

Getting to my hotel here in Liverpool last night I was delighted to find it was across the road from the venue. I headed over , heard voices through the shutter at the back , bashed on it and out appeared Philip Hayes . He was delighted to give me my tickets , seemed awfully busy but did say that he expected ' a pint ' from me before dashing of.

In the evening sun , the empty streets surrounding the venue added to the bizarrness of the situation. The area is a collection of old warehouses that are being slowly re-occupied , done up etc. Next to the Picket big yellow Viking tour buses/boats were being rolled out as I took some photographs this morning. It truly has to be Elvis' most unusual concert location.

I've already arranged to meet up with others , 'John' from here etc , at the hotel , The Camponile , at 6.30 , going on to the show for 7.30. There is free parking at the hotel but it's first come , first served.

Now I'm going to mooch around. Maybe see the Peter Blake exhibit at the Tate , go to Birkenhead etc.

Roll on this evening!
legman open to offers

Post by legman open to offers »

Roll on indeed John! I'm excited for you all. A triumph just scoring tix for such a small venue! Tip a pint for me.
Now I'm the invisible man, and you can't see me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

It's now (3PM) raining . Elvis 'n Allen are pictured in the Liverpool Echo at the Picket.

Time for a 'nap before the show!
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

With any luck you guys might have that same kind of experience that Doc and I had in Memphis during his first show before he made the DVD. Small, dive-type venue, standing room. I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. One of the best nights of my life. Couldn't hear for a couple of days, but what the hell?

Wish with all my being I could be there with you all tonight. Please enjoy and report accordingly.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Great , tight show . More later.

1. Wonderwoman
2. 'Chelsea
3. Monkey To Man
4. Certain Girl
5. On Your Way Down
6. Bedlam
7. Clown Strike
8. Tears Tears and More Tears
9. Freedom For The Stallion
10. Whos Gonna Help Brother Get Further
11. Nearer To You
12. River In Reverse / Don't Wanna Be A Soldier
13. International Echo
14. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
15. Brickyard Blues
16. Watching The Detectives
17. Pump It Up
18. New Orleans piano medley/Ascension Day
19. Alison/ Tracks Of My Tears
20. Clubland
21. Yes We Can Can
22. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
23. Hi Fidelity
24. Get Out Of My Life Woman
25. Fortune Teller
26. Slipping 'n Slidding
27. Happy Birthday ( New Orleans version - for Elvis' Ma , 80 on July 12)
28. Sharpest Thorn

My train awaits me!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Great stuff. I'm so jealous I couldn't make it.

Look forward to the report (and the bootleg :wink: )
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sulky lad

The Picket

Post by sulky lad »

Bootleg, What Bootleg, Ok it's a fair cop. all suitable recorded in pretty decent lofi, considering the size of the PA and the chatter in the background :wink:
He got a black eye from a waitress, she’s not seeing any stars
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://markmcnulty.typepad.com/mark_mcn ... ello-.html

Photographer Mark McNulty blogs -

July 06, 2007

High Fidelity

Elvis Costello and Allen Toussaint begin a worldwide tour of their recent 'River In Reverse' album tonight in London but last night was the warm up event at the new Picket in Liverpool. It was a charity event to raise money for the Liverpool venue that last year moved to Jordan Street and the night was amazing. There's 300 people in a small venue watching Elvis Costello singing Watching The Detectives and Alison and then joining in with Allen to sing Get Out My Life Woman, Fortune Teller and Certain Girl. What can I say? Incredible and I'm still in shock! Well done and thanks to Phil Hayes and all at The Picket.

http://www.liverpool.com/editor-s-pick/ ... rpool.html

Liverpool Echo , July 6 '07

REVIEW: Elvis Costello, The New Picket, Liverpool

by Raphael Callaghan

TIME was when you could see Declan McManus for a few shillings every week at the Temple Bar off Dale Street.

Last night Elvis Costello repaid his Liverpool dues with a storming fund-raising gig at and for the new Picket venue in Jordan Street.

But it was no ordinary show. Only Steve Nieve remains from the Attractions, and the bulk of the band have been transplanted from New Orleans, including the four-man Crescent City Horns who Elvis took great delight in conducting throughout the show, plus the gig's secret weapon, a dignified man who pumped out great swirls of rippling N.O. piano for two and a half hours.

This was R&B legend Allen Toussaint, with a string of hits behind him as writer and producer (Working In A Coalmine and Get Out Of My Life Woman to name but two).
Mr Toussaint follows in the footsteps of Burt Bacharach and Paul McCartney as Elvis's latest songwriting collaborator, and this combination is the most rewarding yet.

Much of the set was from the pair's album of last year, The River In Reverse, which was born out of the devastation of Hurricane Katrina.

Elvis attacked Toussaint nuggets like On Your Way Down and Tears Tears And More Tears, but their new songs have a resonance that only another waterfront city can appreciate - Broken Promise Land, Ascension Day (dedicated to George Melly), International Echo and the powerful The River In Reverse itself.

Allen Toussaint is part of a long line of New Orleans R & B piano players that began with Professor Longhair and Fats Domino. He lost many personal and musical possessions in the aftermath of Katrina. In the week that parts of West Derby were under water, and only 100 miles from Merseyside many homes were still feeling the affects of the UK's our own floods, Allen must have thought a New Orleans voodoo spell had been cast upon him.

He sang and played beautifully on his own Who's Gonna Help Brother Get Further and Yes We Can, while Elvis roared through Crescent City favourites A Certain Girl, Fortune Teller and Slippin' And Slidin'.

Costello's own back catalogue was not neglected, but the horn section gave a new flavour to (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea, Alison, Clubland and Pump It Up. Watching The Detectives became even more like a low-budget B-movie feature, the menacing horns creating their own moody soundtrack.

Elvis brought the memorable night to a close with another Toussaint-Costello effort, The Sharpest Thorn, Elvis punctuating the words by brandishing a bouquet of red roses presented to him by Phil Hayes of the Picket (there was one for Toussaint too).

The Picket is a fabulously intimate venue - I haven't been this close to Elvis since his first appearance at Eric's in 1977 or, indeed, since the Temple Bar in 1975.

If Phil Hayes wants a Picket line of punters supporting his venue in the future, all he has to do is host more shows like this one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The bass guitarist last night was Paul Bryan - he lists the dates on his Myspace page -

http://www.myspace.com/paulbryan_music
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Was Pete Thomas not on drums? Or was the Liverpool Echo wrong in saying Steve was the only remaining Attraction?
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Elvis, dear, you need a new shirt.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Why the long faces?
signed with love and vicious kisses
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

http://www.savethepicket.com/#latest

The drummer at the New Picket was Herman LeBeaux.
I learnt from the Carlisle branch of the Jackshit fanclub that Pete (and Davey) are currently touring France, so he was unavailable. I certainly missed his drumming on Pump it Up and (to a lesser extent) on Watching the Detectives.

Nick
John

Post by John »

Great night, still not fully recovered. Elvis was in good voice and humour, the band sounded great. I manage to get both Allen and Elvis' autograph after the show. Allen was very charming and took his time to sign "Allen Toussaint of New Orleans". Elvis' mum looked very well for 80.

It was great to meet up with johnfoyle again, Misha and Mr Misha, sulky lad and Man out of Time. Thanks for the CD, John.

I bought my first Elvis t-shirt since "Clocking Across The UK" in 1983, so I must have had a good time.

I'm being rushed to go out so will post more later.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Enjoyable as it was to see both the Liverpool and London shows they were odd in that they were very much Elvis in retread mode. Coupled with the recent shows , it's unusual to see him do absolutely , Alison re-jig excepted, nothing new. What with his huge inventiveness over the years I guess we will have to allow him this pause, considering his busy home life etc. The fact that he seemed to be in a relaxed and pleasant mindset bodes well, hopefully, for resumed unleashing of musical adventures.

When my photos are developed and my mind is somewhat rested I hope to have more to tell , along with details of my trek around the sun splashed urban wasteland that was Acton/'Vanity factory'/Western Avenue/ Hoover building.
verbal gymnastics

John wrote:I bought my first Elvis t-shirt since "Clocking Across The UK" in 1983, so I must have had a good time.
John had his T shirt on which said "Wake me up with a slap or a kiss". Guess which one I gave him :lol:
Otis Westinghouse

A Frenchie.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Before and after Liverpool 'paper coverage -

Some buildings on the way to The Picket -

.......and then around a corner -

.......is it.......?

- it is - a music venue!

My cheapo disposable camera wasn't much use inside during the gig. This shot does, though , give an idea of the rather basic staging -

Above the stage could be seen a cut out of that other Elvis -
(detail)

Elvis was spraying washing up liquid into his throat every now and then. This time , when he told the story about it , he said the elephant shaped spray carton was called 'Nellie' -

Hopefully that'll give you a idea of the scene in and around The Picket .

Finally , thanks to Sulky Lad for this record of Allen's delight at meeting yours truly -

Last edited by johnfoyle on Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Misha

Post by Misha »

Hey everybody!!!

No, I am not dead. I know you think that, but I'm not. It's just motherhood...sans nannies.

Well, I was there with the newly named Mr. Misha and we had a really good time, I posted my ever-so-insightful observations here:

http://forums.newsandstar.co.uk/index.p ... blogid=15&

Make sure you don't bother reading the whole thing, I think if you skip to the second paragraph you might stay awake until the end of the 'review'. For what it's worth.

I really liked meeting everyone. John Foyle is an amazing gentleman and quite nice. Even better than expected!

I particularly liked bumping back into Nick, as it's been ages since I've talked to him at all. Enjoyed bopping with him, too! (no, I have not committed adultery here!)

I met some other fine folks, but due to baby brain, I don't remember names. I do know that everyone I met, bar none, was really lovely.

I did take like two or three photos, trying for a shot of the elephant spray bottle, but I have better pictures of toe cheese than what I got, I'm sure, though I haven't checked. I will make some time to check soon and will post what I have, even if it's shitty. Just give me some time. I'm just barely getting to grips with waking up every hour for our little troll. Anyone want a 5 1/2 month old little girl with an amazing coy smile?

Well, sorry to not even be lurking these days, but I'm floundering in this deep pool of parenthood....why couldn't you other parents warn me?!!!

I think of many of you often, and will try to come back one day soon.

:) misha - sad that her mom is leaving for the US tomorrow...and frankly fairly pathetic because of it. :cry:
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
oliversa1

Elvis and Allen at the New Picket Liverpool

Post by oliversa1 »

What a great night I had at the Picket in Liverpool and it was all thanks to John Foyle and his friend for letting me have their two spare tickets. I was panicking at 7.15pm when still unable to find any spares and then John turned up and my night was made.

I must say that all the people involved with the Picket Club were very helpful and friendly and seemed so made up when they saw that I had obtained a ticket. Nice to see Elvis' mum there looking very young and also Alan Bleasdale.

To top the night off, managed to get Elvis' set list from a very helpful roadie.

Oh, by the way the show was sensational.

Once again thanks John and friend, if it wasn't for you guys I may have missed one great show.
verbal gymnastics

verbal gymnastics wrote:
John wrote:I bought my first Elvis t-shirt since "Clocking Across The UK" in 1983, so I must have had a good time.
John had his T shirt on which said "Wake me up with a slap or a kiss". Guess which one I gave him :lol:
Otis Westinghouse wrote:A Frenchie.
That's right. I'm saving the slap for you :lol:
Otis Westinghouse

Oooh, you naughty boy, you!
Man out of Time

Elvis and AT at the New Picket

Post by Man out of Time »

Firstly in my new role as John Foyle's Friend, let me say I was happy to sell my spare ticket to oliversa1 (or his bearded companion) and more so when he paid above face value (despite my protestations). Frankly if a man in an EC T shirt cannot walk up to a venue and expect to be sold a ticket there and then, just what is the world coming to these days?

Secondly, since the gig last week, I have received a couple of e-mails from the Promoter Philip Hayes in which he includes quotes from e-mails he has received from audience members. The quality and level of communication from Philip following the concert contrasts somewhat with that enjoyed prior to the event, but that is not my point.

In his latest e-mail, Phil also recounts a story which I want to share with you here:

"ONCE UPON A TIME……………..

Once upon a time in Liverpool about 2 months ago, a 17 year old lad from Anfied, Chris Holding, came to the New Picket music venue to work on a project with Liverpool Community College.
During the three days he spent at the venue he liked what he saw and asked the Venue Director Philip Hayes if he could become a volunteer and gain some real work experience.
Around the same time Elvis Costello rang Philip from Vancouver and offered to do a benefit concert for the venue.
Chris helped with practical preparations for the Costello and Allen Toussaint concert. When Milo EC's Tour manager arrived at the Picket last Tuesday he needed a runner, someone to get strings, dash into town and help with bits and bobs. Chris became his runner.
Milo asked Chris if he could operate lights- their lighting engineer couldn’t make the rehearsals and may not make the gig? (Chris studied lighting technology at the Arts centre). Chris was given the job, performed admirably- see review of gig in tonight’s Liverpool Echo Friday 6th July "Ten out of Ten" -and consequently has been offered the job of operating the lights at Elvis Costello and Allen Toussaint's performance at the Tower of London on Sat 7th July.
He also been the chance offered to accompany them on their Tour of Europe..............
Only problem is he doesn’t have a passport and the tour begins next week............ "

So, assuming Chris found his way to the Passport office in time, if you're attending any of the remaining European dates on the tour, and you see a tall young lad with a Scouse accent stood behind the lighting desk, go up and say "Hello Chris" and leave him to wonder how you know his name....

NICK

PS Chris'll probably be stood next to Geoff who is the bearded Welsh sound engineer.
Otis Westinghouse