King Of America
53%
Blood & Chocolate
47%

Total votes: 32

American Without Tears

King Of America vs. Blood & Chocolate

Post by American Without Tears »

King Of America vs. Blood & Chocolate...
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

omigosh, it's not a fair fight.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Mr. Average

Post by Mr. Average »

I am the outlier who thinks the Nick Lowe sound on B and C is superior to the more emotionally charged King. This combo doesn't shift around for me...King resonates emotionally for so many, and I get that. But when these records were released (I acquired the first 15 or so records in absolute order of release) I had other things that spoke to me on the emotional level, like Richard Thompson "You, Me, Us" which still makes me think he hired a private dick to follow me around and chronicle my wierd ass life at the time.

And then there is Miles, who makes me feel all better most of the time.

And when it's dark. Massive Attack. But that's another story.

Blood and Chocolate. Not as good as TYM. Or Get Happy. Or Imperial Bedroom. But damn good.
"The smarter mysteries are hidden in the light" - Jean Giono (1895-1970)
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

Unfair. Choosing one over the other is like choosing your favorite child. I'm going to have to think about this.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Blood & Chocolate. I rank B&C over Imperial Bedroom, Trust, This Year's Model.... you get the idea.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

For those who have been around this board a while, my opinion is already known. I adore almost all of EC's music, but King of America is most assuredly my favorite.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Almost like an 'apples & oranges' comparison, but in the end it has to be B&C. I find myself listening to it much more often, and while the music on KOA is beautiful, the music on B&C drips vitriol. And I like that.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
migdd

Post by migdd »

What Spooky said!
John

Post by John »

No contest. King of America has my vote. It's one of my favourite albums, although if I could edit out Glitter Gulch, Eisenhower Blues and Poisoned Rose it would would be even better. Fantastic closing 3 tracks.

Blood and Chocolate has never really done it for me. A four track EP of I Hope You're Happy Now, Blue Chair, Crimes of Paris and Next Time Around is all I need.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

John wrote:... if I could edit out Glitter Gulch, Eisenhower Blues and Poisoned Rose it would would be even better.
But Poisoned Rose is phenominal!

I've never liked the thick sound of B&C. Had hoped the reissues would improve it but, alas, it still sounds thick.

KoA, however, is v. warm.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I love both, but I tend to gravitate more to Blood & Chocolate
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

It's quite a difficult choice.. King of America is supreme. I've had my favorites over the years and it has always been a toss up between - KoA, B&C, and IB... Now, considering the style of music I'm listening to, KoA is the top choice- and the second place star is River in Reverse.. which no one on this board seems to like....American roots music... it's OK to like one thing about America!
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

My impression is that B&C is more openended about its ideas, they are more unresolved, in contrast with those I get from KOA. I make this hypothesis thinking particularly of the way feeling is conveyed and ideas implied rather than in just the words said. Much of B&C seems to come straight from the gut. Quirky imagery and ideas result pretty naturally, as EC's brain seems especially disengaged from any strong sense of rationality.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

I understand and appreciate that comment, Boo. And that's an interesting perspective on KOA that I had never really thought about. I knew that I related to it and that it helped me resolve things in my own life, but never really thought that that might be one of the things I like about it so much. So much in my own life has been difficult to decipher, so I think I find comfort in those songs where EC sings of resolved feelings and conclusions.

I do enjoy B&C and can understand why some people will choose it. But KOA, even if for many emotionally related reasons, will always come out on top for me. I find comfort in the music, the lyrics, the melodies. It grounds me every time I hear it.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I didn't express that as well as I would have liked... but I'm glad you appreciate it SG. I dunno, B&C seems pervaded by a certain restless feeling that appeals to me that is direct. It's like it derives stamina, inventiveness, unpredictability, from having some unresolved issues... that's why B&C reigns victorious over KOA. KOA has formidable blows in American Without Tears, Brilliant Mistake, Indoor Fireworks, I'll Wear It Proudly, Little Palaces, however its glass jaw juts out dangerously in Eisenhower Blues, and Glitter Gulch is a big cut above the right eye. Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood, a certain... hesistancy. A lack of mobility. Yessir, unfortunately with KOA after a little while you pretty much know what you're getting - it's somewhat more obvious in its pugilistic range. B&C is a more restless, beguiling and agile creature.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

I may have understood more than I let on though, Boo. I dig that I know what I'm getting with KOA. And yet, still, the songs mean different things to me at different times.

I think ultimately, KOA more suits my personality and B&C more suits yours, just as they each suited EC when he made them. There is still a side of me that loves the attitude from B&C, just not as much as KOA. The fact that EC did them both is what makes me enjoy him as a musician.
migdd

Post by migdd »

spooky girlfriend wrote:I may have understood more than I let on though, Boo. I dig that I know what I'm getting with KOA. And yet, still, the songs mean different things to me at different times.

I think ultimately, KOA more suits my personality and B&C more suits yours, just as they each suited EC when he made them. There is still a side of me that loves the attitude from B&C, just not as much as KOA. The fact that EC did them both is what makes me enjoy him as a musician.
Yes! And what's really amazing is that EC recorded these two albums within six months of each other and that at one point he was considering making them a double album. Part of the power of the two albums is that they are so often considered together for comparison and contrast. One following the other in a mere six months, they really play off each other. The emotional resolution of past issues found in KOA followed by the emotional uncertainty of B&C seem to make them forever linked in a lot of people's eyes.

I tend to favor KOA because of the emotional issues addressed and resolved. Listening to it from beginning to end evokes a sigh of relief and makes me feel connected to something.

Equally as powerful, B&C tends to leave me anxious to resolve the onslaught of ideas and issues contained within the songs. They are pieces of a big puzzle that I want to be resolved but have to wait until "The Next Time 'Round", whenever that may come. EC makes this kind of album as instinctually as falling off a log.

In contrast, it is very seldom that a series of ideas and life events seem to come to any kind of emotional resolution within an entire EC album. That's what gets me in the heart when I listen to KOA.

Interestingly, I like the Delivery Man for the same reasons I like KOA (but maybe not quite as much) and it's not simply because both of those albums use American roots music idioms, although that helps. It's more because both albums see EC stepping outside his intellect (which tends to rule the majority of his catalog) and write more from the heart.

My two cents, for what they are worth, submitted for consideration and conversation.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

spooky girlfriend wrote:I may have understood more than I let on though, Boo. I dig that I know what I'm getting with KOA. And yet, still, the songs mean different things to me at different times.
To me too. It took me a while to get used to more country-flavoured stuff for example. That hindered a more complete enjoyment of KOA initially.

Plus, unlike for yourself and the Doc, I haven't been in the position where the line "And I loved you there and then, It's as simple as that" has applied to me... 8)
migdd wrote:Interestingly, I like the Delivery Man for the same reasons I like KOA (but maybe not quite as much) and it's not simply because both of those albums use American roots music idioms, although that helps. It's more because both albums see EC stepping outside his intellect (which tends to rule the majority of his catalog) and write more from the heart.
Well that's interesting to me because I like The Delivery Man for many of the same reasons I like B&C. Including for the stepping outside of his intellect reason. It's similarly organic imo and I hear B&C-like echoes in Bedlam, Needle Time, The Judgment, Button My Lip... But I like TDM more, it took the place of ATUB as my favourite album by EC (at least when it sunk in).
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Blood and chocolate is glorious.

But King of America is glorious to the power of x.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Well done, Boo. This is very true. With more life experiences that coincide with the songs and their lyrics may come more love of that particular album. More so, even where each of us were before we were together might have played a part. But definetely these are relative to the love of the collection of songs. I totally admit to emotional reasons for at least a part of my love of KOA. And why not? It's a very emotional album. He's all over the place.

It still remains just about my favorite album ever. When Jess was about to graduate in May and my life was upside down with kids and homework and household stuff, one play of KOA completely brought me back to earth. Now with Jess going to college and three other teen boys in the house, a kitchen about to be remodeled, I probably should have it running through my veins on a regular basis so I stay sane at all. Is there an IV version of the album? :lol:
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Great albums, both, and special in their own right. One makes your blood flow like warm, rich Parisian chocolate, and the other makes you feel like a cross between Johnny Cash and Elvis Presley, the true, Kings of America.

What are we talking about here?