Elvis and Allen play Liverpool, July 5 '07

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis and Allen play Liverpool, July 5 '07

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.liverpool.com/editor-s-pick/ ... icket.html

Stars' cash gift for the Picket

MUSIC giants Pete Townshend and Elvis Costello have pledged support for Liverpool's Picket music venue.

The resurgent Picket is fighting back after a troubled few years, which saw the venue homeless and bosses forced to start again from scratch.

Townshend, who is performing with The Who at the Knowsley Hall music festival next weekend, has joined forces with the festival's organisers, Cream, to donate £6,000 for improvements to the new home.

The Picket moved into a former warehouse on Jordan Street, off Jamaica Street, last May, forming a key part of a growing independent arts district.

Its fortunes will be given a further boost next month when Elvis Costello performs a live gig with all the proceeds going to the Picket fund.

Costello, who formed his first band as a Birkenhead schoolboy, will share billing with New Orleans R&B legend Allen Toussaint, who wrote the classics Working in a Coalmine and Ride My Pony.

Picket director Philip Heyes said: "Things have been tough for us, but this is turning out to be our year.

"The support we're getting from these giants of the music industry is invaluable and everything they do for us will benefit young, talented Merseyside musicians."

The money given by Cream and Pete Townshend will pay for disabled toilets.

Pete Townshend said: "I've met lots of young musicians who used the Picket to move forward, and even more who enjoyed the live music events hosted there.

"Now it's a new world and a new phase.

"Elvis Costello is doing a show, and I asked Phil how can I help too?

"Turned out to be the lavatories, so I said be my guest."

Mr Heyes said: "Pete first came to the Picket in 1983 and his support has opened so many doors for us. Likewise, we can't begin to thank Elvis Costello, who's always been generous in his support for Merseyside talent He helped finance our recording studio and the relocation.

"It's going to be a wonderful night and there is going to be a bright future for the Picket."

THE exclusive Costello/Toussaint show takes place at The Picket on Thursday, July 5, and tickets are available by calling the Picket on 0151-708 6789.

Pete Townsend and The Who perform at Knowsley Hall on Saturday, June 23, along with Keane and The Zutons. Tickets are available by calling 0871 424 8000.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

More here -

http://www.myspace.com/picketliverpool

Great news! I've just booked a cheap flight to Liverpool. Depending on things I may end up seeing this and giving The Tower Show ( if it goes ahead.....) a miss .
John

Post by John »

John - you've booked a flight but have you managed to book any tickets? I've been ringing all day and there is no answer.

This concert is a stone's throw from where you stayed last time he was on in Liverpool.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Multiple calls today got a answering machine. Hopefully I'll find out more on Monday....when I'll be calling from the beach on the Gran Canaria .....yippee!!!

My flight was megacheap - c.€16 - so I not breaking the bank so far. If I still don't have a concert ticket on the day I do a pretty mean begging act!!!

Thanks for the hotel info. I'll never forget the alarm call method from my '05 stay. The TV gets turned on from a external control - LOUD. I nearly had a heart attack.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

In case of lack of Myspace membership , here are the details -

http://events.myspace.com/index.cfm?fus ... D104472657

The myspace page has this -

Date/Time: Thursday 05 Jul 2007
Time: 19:00 - 01:00
Entry Type: Concert
Street Adr: 61 Jordan Street
City: Liverpool
Notes: Elvis Costello and Allen Toussaint

tel 0151 7086789.
DeathWearsABigHat

Post by DeathWearsABigHat »

has anyone managed to find any further ticket details on this yet?
"trust the wizards, here we go" http://www.trustthewizards.com
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Well since no one seems to be answering the ´phone - and a e-mail to an address listed on John E.s site was bounced back - maybe someone on Merseyside ( hint , hint DeathWearsABigHat !) could actually go down to Jordan Street and bang on the door !
DeathWearsABigHat

I may get a chance to do that towards the end of the week. I'll let you know what, if anything, I find out.
sulky lad

Elvis in Liverpool 5 th July

Post by sulky lad »

Like everyone else seems to find, I just get "posh" answerphone telling me to call back later- just what you need to shift bucket loads of tickets !
He got a black eye from a waitress, she’s not seeing any stars
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Good luck. Unfortunately I am unavailable that day. :(
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

My dad grew up around Jordan St. It's still as rough as back then.

Shame I'm 200 miles away now - this could have rekindled my Elvis passion. Or maybe not. :roll:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A query to the Picket´s Myspace page gets this
response -

Hiya John,

Tickets are limited to two per person.
Please send a cheque NOW-payable to

'The Picket Limited'
20 Oakbank Road,
Liverpool,
L18 1HS.
England.

£25.00 per ticket.
DeathWearsABigHat

I was about to post just the same thing John.
John

Post by John »

I've just had a drive down there to have a look. What an awful area to hold a concert! All around are derelict old warehouses with plant life growing out of them and run-down industrial units, most unoccupied. The Picket is on the end of one block of industrial units.

There is no sign of life; the building is locked up with just a few posters near the entrance advertising forthcoming events. No mention of Elvis anywhere.

I suspect the answer phone will be the only thing "posh" about this event.

Time to get out the chequebook.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

In a weird way a down ´n dirty cheapo venue may suit the New Orleans songs more than something like the Tower setup. It´ll also allow Elvis wallow in his my-people-have-rejected-me mindset. I´m hoping to make a return trip to Birkenhead on the morning of the show ,just to see if it looks better in the summer.

My ´05 account of Birkenhead -

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... 943#103943
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Picket posts on Myspace -

http://bulletins.myspace.com/index.cfm? ... 753ef7e372

26 Jun 2007

Sold Out -Costello and Toussaint benefit for the New Picket

Unfortunately- for some- the Elvis Costello and Allen Toussaint benefit concert for the New Picket has sold out.
We are extremely grateful to Elvis and Allen for performing at the Picket, its great of them to do this for us- and for the future of music in Liverpool.

"This is OUR place and we live by the River".

From New Orleans to Liverpool.

"Whats so funny about peace, love and understanding"?

I've just e-mailed the same Myspace site asking if the funds I sent from Dublin last week arrived in time to include me - here's hoping!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I've just e-mailed the same Myspace site asking if the funds I sent from Dublin last week arrived in time to include me - here's hoping!
They got the cash - I'm going - yahoo!

The full message was -

got your money John yer eejit, sending cash through the post.
See ya on the 5th July.
7.30pm.
BW
Philip Hayes.

Yes, he's right I am a eejit . However , if I was to have sent him a sterling cheque the bank charges here in good old Ireland/Euroland would have been more than the cost of the tickets. Similarly , a registered post fee would have just as bad. I've sent cash in the ordinary post for years and never had a problem. I like to flatter myself that the audacity of it disarms people and gets a result - like in this case.
verbal gymnastics

Congrats John - have a great night. I hope you can tell me all about it at the Tower Festival. And if you see Sulky Lad there don't believe anything he tells you about me :lol:
John

Post by John »

Just had confirmation that my application was successful. So that's me, Mrs John and johnfoyle. Anyone else coming to join the Johnfest?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Misha and Mr Misha have had their cheque cashed so hope that means they too made Top Gun............
DeathWearsABigHat

I had an email confirming that they'd received my cheque & I had 2 tickets, but I haven't received them in the post yet.
But assuming they turn up ok, me & Mrs DeathWearsaBigHat will be there.
verbal gymnastics

Good Board representation so far.

Is it an EC/AT show or is it with the horns as well?
John

Post by John »

I was getting a bit conerned with no tickets having arrived. Philip Hayes, the director of the club, rang Mrs John this morning to say it would be best if one of us called down to collect the tickets. Mrs John said I would call him back and he said to ring the number mentioned previously in this topic. Needless to say there was no answer all day, so I drove down there after work.

The back doors of the club were open and Philip was chatting to another fan outside. He asked my name and invited me in for a look around. The club is really small and he has sold out his capacity of 300 standing. The stage looked as big as the standing area. It will be EC+AT and nine others including horns. The tickets are very tasteful and seem more like an invitation rather than the usual show tickets. He had them ready for me in an envelope with my name on.

I think for anyone concerned about their tickets the best thing to do is contact Philip Hayes via the myspace link and leave your telephone number or drive down there.

Looking forward to Thursday now.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I've been told by Neil J that we're to pick up our tickets on the door (which is a bit of a scary prospect) but I'm leaving quite early in the afternoon to give me enough time to hide the car and ensure we've got the tickets OK.
As for comments about verbal gymnastics, let his posts be my evidence ! :lol:
John

Post by John »

Here's how our local BBC news previewed tomorrow's show. Play from 19 mins 43 secs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/chec ... m=1&bbwm=1