"Live By Request" setlist - NY 9/25/03

Pretty self-explanatory
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Well hey ECLover~ your evening sounds quite similar to mine right down to the comment your husband made about the commercials! He also was not home from work yet and missed Radio, Radio while I was here freaking out and mumbling 'I can't believe he's missing this!'

I thought the show was great (all tv crap aside.) I'm sure there had to be some kind of limits as to what he would play, ah, but that's okay. A few chunks were also very similar to the Town Hall show too. Cutting off So Like Candy pissed me off too.
I taped it also and it was one of only a very few times that it went off w/out a hitch. And I cut out those pesky commercials.
It was simulcast on the radio. I didn't know that. So could you hear it round the world, do ya know?
I'm not angry anymore....
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Here's a funny thing.....if you saw the show, the second caller, Mitch, had said he had seen EC at Lafayette College where he went to law school during the Spinning Songbook tour. (Is that what it was called? Well, you know what I mean...) But my husband and I were at that very show he was speaking of!! :shock: We don't know the guy but it was wild because Lafayette College is a pretty small private college here in Pennsylvania and we remember that show vividly. (And I know I've mentioned it here before.)
And just another weird little thing....the first bunch of callers~Matt, Mitch, Brenda and then Jeff (e-mail request)....those are my children's names.
Funky, huh?
I know..... it's late. I'll go to bed now. :roll:
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Wow..sounds like a pretty good show. Did he do much talking? Was their a big audience?
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

Yes, he did a fair amount of talking, especially in comparison to the amount of talking he did at the Wolftrap show in July, which was Zero.

Burt fooled me at first, and I agree, I think Elvis didn't quite know where it was going; he looked a bit bewildered, no?

Setlist was as expected. I nearly died of embarrassment for the poor girl who started screeching 'Alison' over the phone.

Also, that was the first time I heard the song 'North'. Oh dear. Didn't care for it. I'm glad it's not on the album.

But overall, it was a hoot. I'm tired and cranky today, and I'm gonna watch it again. It was worth staying up late for.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

It was definitely worth the time. Anybody here in the audience? Where did they get the audience anyway? A J.Crew catalog? I taped it--I should say I hope I taped it. And the vcr is set for Regis and Kelly--I almost wish Kathy Lee was still on....

Elvis should add a rider in his contract forbidding photography from behind--if the camera adds 10 lbs, a back shot adds 50. Pete seemed to be winded a couple of times and he didn't get the memo about the dress code, but damn he's good. Steve looked and sounded great--I wondered what he thought about Elvis 'conducting' him while they did the North songs. And Davey. I didn't recognize him. He had a microphone and he sang backgrounds, but I couldn't hear him at all. Elvis should also get extra money for all the eyebrow work. The host guy was an ass, as has already been noted. Good show. Best two hours I've spent in front of a tv in a very long time.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Maybe it's because I saw him in concert the night before, but I was so meh about this. When the guy from Buenos Aires (for whom I had such high hopes) requested "Pump It Up," I turned off my parents' tv and went home to sleep.

What I want to know is: where the hell were my parents? I left at eleven, and they still weren't home! I just hope they're not out doing drugs with that Joey boy, he's a bad influence if I ever saw one.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Miss BA - I'm a parent and I still like to be out late. I hope your parents were having fun! :)
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

didn't steve look great????

bunny, i think we're gonna hafta fight each other to be first in line for him.

looking forward to watching it again when i don't have a telephone glued to my ear trying to dial into the damn thing.

and the vcr is (supposed to be) whirring away getting regis & the chick on tape.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Here's a download of Beyond Belief from last night's show.
http://www.geocities.com/L_Elvis_Cool_J/
Pov

Post by Pov »

I enjoyed the show a lot, particularly Beyond Belief and ATUB. Also thought that Pump it Pump was really pumped :), better than I remember seeing it concert last year.

I'm guessing that the show was fixed. There was probably a predetermined list of songs that he would play, and those callers who wanted those songs got through, or in as in Misha's case, those who told the operator that they wanted a song that wasn't on the list were asked in effect to keep guessing until they got a hit.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Steve did look good. I was impressed with the suit . . .
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

that was burt and i must say i suspected it from the getgo w/ the name and phoney voice. said so right away to gracie. gotta scrounge up something to blow off about. of course he has to have a comprehensive list of what he will play and the operators preclude "Why?" from getting on. steve is smashing and so fun to watch. davey's mike set on 1; does he harmonize that poorly? it was great, elvis radiates being in love (as he did when paused to say he was "a lucky man" on letterman), but someone has to talk to him about the hand movement thing. it is like watching mellencamp try to dance.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
lipstickvogue

Post by lipstickvogue »

Yes, the hand-thing he's been doing is a bit, for me, reminiscent of something my great uncle used to do when he'd tell a story.
it's always another day after twelve o'clock's struck
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

It was the same hand movement that Linus used when telling the Nativity Story! I loved it! :D
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/en ... 868947.htm

Posted on Fri, Sep. 26, 2003

Costello Performs on 'Live by Request'
Associated Press

NEW YORK - Elvis Costello felt like he had some big shoes to fill when he performed on A&E's "Live by Request."

"When I saw Tony Bennett do this, he made it look easy," he said, referring to Bennett's 1996 concert which was the first in the cable channel's "Live by Request" series.

Costello made it look easy, too, taking phone, e-mail and audience requests and calmly cracking jokes during a two-hour live show Thursday night.

The 49-year-old sang old favorites including "Radio Radio," "Accidents Will Happen" and "Everyday I Write the Book," which he performed the way he said he originally wrote it - with a guitar-heavy, '60s rock sound.

Songwriter Burt Bachrach, with whom Costello has collaborated frequently, called from Canada to request "All This Useless Beauty." And a woman named Alison phoned from Wilmington, Del., asking to hear - what else? - "Alison."

Costello also performed songs from his new album of ballads, "North," which came out this week.

Among the celebrities in the audience were his fiancee, jazz singer Diana Krall, and Willie Garson, who plays Carrie's gay confidant, Stanford Blatch, on HBO's "Sex and the City."

"Live by Request With Elvis Costello" airs again at 10 a.m. EDT Sunday on A&E. Previous performers have included Neil Diamond, the Eurythmics, Phil Collins and Reba McEntire.
A rope leash

Excellent!

Post by A rope leash »

This was a great show. There is nothing I can really compare it with.

So Like Candy has a commercial stand in front of it, and then when it goes away, he is just seguewaying into what I believe is You're No Good. Did anyone else see this? A hit on Cait?

Elvis blew the lyrics to (The Angels Wanna Wear) My Red Shoes, and the audience failed to insert the O why's that?"s. There must have been no drinking, because he couldn't get them to sing along with anything. Why do rock stars do that, anyway?

Steve was a wildman. There was what, 90 seconds of Elvis guitar solo? That was some of the coolest "Elvis" I've ever seen.

If I know A&E, this will be available on video and DVD. I saw Elvis on Letterman and UCK! The Regis and that thing Show, as well, and I guess I'm starting to warm to North. He can do what he wants, as long as he keeps adding to the catalogue.
girl out of time

live by request highlights

Post by girl out of time »

....i watched the whole show with my friends last night and we all loved it.....altough i think that the songs requested were a little bit too obvious....in spite of the reasons behind them....
...i think the highlights were Radio Radio, 45, Alison/Suspicious Minds, Pump it up, Couldn´t call it unexpected N° 4 and the number one performance of the show was........yes! Clubland.......I loved it when Elvis counted.....Uno, Dos, Tres, Cuatro!!!!!!!!!!! Plus his guitar playing was really good......
......I´m not sure about this but apart from So like Candy/You´re no good & You belong to me being interrupted by commercials, I also heard bits of Honey are you Straight or are yoo Blind and Uncomplicated.........a true shame these interpretations were cut off.....specially that way...........
......i loved it when Elvis was asked which musician he´d like to collaborate with and he said..."i´d like to write a song for Aretha Franklin..." then the audience responded in a very shy way and he said .." i said Aretha Franklin!!"........Can you imagine that! I keep my fingers crossed!!!!!!!! How cool would that be?!........When a caller asked him which was his favourite kind of pizza he said: anchovies & avocado (?!!!!huhhh)
......E.C. was in a really good mood.....showing all of his wit and talent.....plus some funky dorky dance moves.....he is the greatest!
I hope one day he gets to come and play in Buenos Aires......I´d love to see him play Clubland in here............(sighs..... :wink: )
.....speaking of Bs.As. i don´t think any guy being born in argentina would ever be named HAROLD.......what was that?! .......
...the promise of indulgence in my confidential voice approached inmortal danger but you´ll never know how close....
bobster

Post by bobster »

I think the clear "tell" that the Burt call was a set up was that they just happened to have the pictures of EC & BB ready to explain to the audience who it was. (You think they'd have pictures ready of everyone Elvis ever worked with on hand?)

Also, the way that the song was supposedly switched from "God Give Me Strength" to ATUB is suspicious since EC didn't have to suddenly switch guitars or anything (would he even use a guitar for GGS?)

Also, I think the "hit and miss" situation must have been it. I kind of feel sorry for the "big fans" who probably called in with "Black Sails in the Sunset" and "Hoover Factory" as suggestions and found themselves going through the catalogue until they finally got a "hit" with "Pump it Up" or "Red Shoes."

Still, probably Elvis's best TV appearance ever in the U.S. The sound was great, the Imposters were at their impiest -- but my sister missed the opening and the closing on the tape -- so I only got the second half of "I Hope You're Happy Now" and the first half of PL&U. (My sister, sadly, is not among the Elvis cognescenti. :( )
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

bobster wrote:. . . my sister missed the opening and the closing on the tape -- so I only got the second half of "I Hope You're Happy Now" and the first half of PL&U. (My sister, sadly, is not among the Elvis cognescenti. :( )
You (or your sister) will get another chance tomorrow morning. The rebroadcast is at 10 in the East, so check your local cable listings.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

I'm reading all the posts, nodding my head and laughing to myself... the hand thing during Still drives me nuts! I hate it!
I don't know if this means anything....but I have two pretty decent tapes of the LiveBy Request show. One I taped during the original airing and cut out the commercials and the other I taped just straight through on the encore showing later that night. If anyone is desperately seeking a veiwing and if you think a decent copy could be made, I'd be willing to oblige. (I've never copied and recpoied a video tape before, that's why I say that.)

Oh, and I wanted to say many times....Steve is so incredible! He was fantastic at Town Hall. I love seeing him live so much! I like when EC gives props to Steve. :D
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

My husband (despite recent "relationship difficulties") was kind enough to video tape the show for me, and I found (find) it totally awesome!!

Have watched it 3 times now, it's still a LOT of fun.

Question: How many people here believe that the "Burt" portion of the show was REALLY real!!?? It somehow seemed too outrageous to be otherwise...

(sigh) -- Yeah, I'm gullible...

sulky

:lol:
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
HolyCoatAndHat

Post by HolyCoatAndHat »

My impression of EC's Live by Request show: Wow! I found myself standing up and clapping after some of the song! I saw this show on Thursday night, and went to the Springsteen concert at Miller Park on Saturday night. In the middle of some Springsteen song that I had never heard before, I was thinking how much I would rather be at an EC concert...

I was surprised how well the songs from North were performed "live" on the television. They worked for me. And to the person who said they were glad that the song North was not on the CD, give it a few more listens and I think you will like it.

When they did So Like Candy going into a commercial, instead of feeling cheated, I was wondering what other little treats they had for people in the audience. It would have been so cool to have been there for the show. Was anyone out there at the show that can fill us in?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Sigh, no, not me. Just watching it on tv like the rest of you.

Would have been fun though! :)
Smallfaces1

UK

Post by Smallfaces1 »

Is this or has this thing been on in the UK? i'm gutted, i want to see it!
Dexter Keys

Post by Dexter Keys »

I thought someone would have posted by now. Here's what you missed:

During the first break, Honey Are You Straight or Are You Blind. I believe this was right before the little instumental theme that was part of the official intro. I'm not sure of the order of the rest of the goodies. EC and Imposters did So Like Candy and included You're No Good at the end. They also did You Belong To Me which was one of the highlights of the show. Elvis did I Still Miss Someone accompanying himself on piano.

They also did the guitar break from Dust and the instrumental backing from Temptation during separate breaks.

The show also omitted the last time through the chorus of Peace Love and Understanding.

In an earlier post, someone mentioned Uncomplicated but that never happened.

That's what I remember off the top of my head. Absolutely tremendous show. Elvis is at the top of his game right now.