Punch The Clock reissue

Pretty self-explanatory
BlueChair

Punch The Clock reissue

Post by BlueChair »

I only picked it up yesterday and haven't really given either disc a fair listen, but so far I think I'm much more drawn to the bonus disc than I am the album itself. I think many of the songs sound better in their Disc 2 forms than on the album versions.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

OK, maybe I've missed it along the way, but I can't remember anyone talking about this song? Where's the raving people? Rope? Noise? Blue? This song is amazing, and yet, no love!

The song "The Bells" could possibly be one of the best songs ever.

I just recently got the reissue, and this IS quite a wonderful album! I LOVE those horns! Why does everyone complain about the production? It's great! It's yet another cool but different Costello sound on a cool and different Costello album?! You long time fans were lucky to get this one when it first came out!
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

"The Bells" is a great song. I was first made aware of it from an album which Elvis recommends on his 500 Albums You Need article, Laura Nyro's 'Gonna Take A Miracle.' I picked it up on vinyl, and it has a great version of "The Bells"
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Isn't it a GREAT performance Blue?!?!?!

I have to confess I put it on repeat all day Sunday.

Jody hates me. 8)
Ha' Penny Millionaire

Post by Ha' Penny Millionaire »

I hope all EC fans read this thread. As I have previously contended, PTC is one of EC's most worthy pop efforts. It is a product of its time, but is a great listen from beginning to end.

I agree that the bonus disc is outstanding -- Clive Langer's production drained much of the pure pop beauty from the demo versions.

OK, I'll say it: PUNCH THE CLOCK is essential Elvis Costello.
It's a living, this is the life.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Agree with you BC, the bonus disc is essential, and much preferable to the original production which has dated badly.
signed with love and vicious kisses
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

Merseybeat EIWTB, Baby Pictures, Big Sister's Clothes/Stand Down Margaret, Shatterproof, demos 12 to 21 - all fabulous. Arghh! How much do I love the live Possession, Secondary Modern, The Bells (I agree, LTZ), Watch Your Step and Back Stabbers/King Horse?!! Fan-fucking-tastic. I'm warming to the actual album now I have it on CD.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I love the way that the songs on this album all feel intrinsically linked, I can't listen to the album in pieces, it has to be from start to finish. Best song on the disc....King of Thieves, love Steve's piano at the start.

Bonus disc is cracking as well....I always liked the Walking on Thin Ice cover, plus the acoustic demos and the Stand Down Margaret!!!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I prefer the piano ballad version of Baby Pictures with the different lyrics. It's interesting that Elvis returned to the Madness type sound isn't it after having a brief stab on Get Happy.

I love the live tracks - I'm gonna have to dig out that tape of the Austin show now!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

I listened all the way through to both discs in the PTC reissue yesterday. The bonus disc is far superior to the final product, IMHO. The songs sound really great to me for the first time. Exceptions, of course, are classics like Pills & Soap and Shipbuilding which didn't get the demo treatment, and which I adore as is. But songs like The World and His Wife, Everyday..., and Mouth Almighty really shine on the bonus disc. And The Bells is a killer song. One of my new favorites.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

I can't believe that the original album is getting shooed by the bonus disc... :o the TKO Horns add soooo much to this album!
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Not as much as the production and arrangements subtract from it, methinks.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

noiseradio wrote:And The Bells is a killer song. One of my new favorites.

YES YES YES!

This cut would make a very "A Day in the life" coda to North! Wouldn't that be weird and wild?!?!!?!?

No? Well screw you guys! PTC is awesome! I have the vinyl copy, and I admit I never listend to it cuz the songs just didn't jump off of that turntable at me. I probably have an old bad copy, and an old bad needle. But now that I have the CD, these songs are fresh, and, YOU GUESSED IT, HAPPENING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love it, and I hear those bells!
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

I'm listening to the reissue at work!! How great is this?!
bobster

Post by bobster »

Haven't gotten the reissue yet (but I will!)

I've always been of too minds about the whole issue of PTC's production.

On the one hand, it is way over-produced and sounded slightly dated even at the time. I really think songs like "Everyday" and "King of Thieves" in particular were pretty much destroyed by the production.

On the other hand, I LOVE horns. Bring on the big, bold horns! EC would later do them better with the wonderful Dirty Dozen Brass Band on "Spike" but I still dig them on PTC.

Some of the songs work, but it's still EC's second or third weakest album.

But I really wish I had a recording of the live show from that time. With Afrodisiac and the horns, and some cool stage-stuff, it looked like a variety show from the late sixties. Very cool.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I'm going to jump in on Laughing Crow's side. I finally picked this up last Saturday and have been listening to both discs quite a bit. I love 'em both - thinking all week that Punch The Clock might be his most underated album. The horns are fantastic and they define the record. Don't get me wrong, I love the bonus disc and especially the demo versions - we're very fortunate that he's putting this stuff out, it really does put you in such complete awe of his talents. Owning this reissue just pisses me off more concerning the Rolling Stone review - studio hacks indeed!!

A great misheard lyric on this one was -

"You Can't Be Fucking Off" for "You Just Keep Clocking On" in "Let Them All Talk. I still like my line better.

I think I realted the story on an earlier thread (earlier board?) that I picked this one up at a strange time in my life - the last week of US Army basic training in October of 1983. Very much alone (and very much older than most of the kids) with absolute no privacy - except for the headphones on the walkman and the two casettes the PX had which I was anyway interested - PTC and Subterranian Jungle by the Ramones. Both albums at the time were considered career lows - yet they pulled me through some very weird days.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

You're on my side bwap. :wink:
Liam

Post by Liam »

Always loved PTC, except maybe Everyday. It seemed sometimes that songs that weren't my favorite, made it to video. Everyday I Write the Book was one of them. On the other hand, the horns blasting out on Let Them Talk, especially that moment in the song, where it's chaotic with the horns and Elvis' voice going back and forth and then he brings it all home with that wail ... well, I love that. And pretty much the whole album. Haven't played it in a while. I will later, though.
Last edited by Liam on Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I finally got the latest reissues today. Compared to the rarely motivated listenings of my old PTC LP, I'm finding it very listenable...same with the bonus disc. Finally, the chance to get properly acquainted with this EC period.

It's interesting to hear EC trying to sound tougher on the alternate Everyday IWTB for example. It could be a bit early to say this but as I was listening today it seemed as if EC maybe struggled to find a new voice having entered a period where they couldn't just expect a single to chart and suddenly had to be far more calculated about it, and -- for better or worse -- kept questioning their approach. Right now I'm into Heathen Town.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

The song "The Bells" could possibly be one of the best songs ever.
Nick Kent waxes lyrical about the original of this track in today's Grauniad

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/fridayre ... 64,00.html

-3. The Originals, The Bells (1970)
You can hear Marvin Gaye singing background vocals in a voice that will send shivers soaring down your spine. He co-wrote and produced this ode to romantic obsession, Motown's most neglected masterpiece.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

YES, IT IS A NEGLECTED MASTERPIECE! I'M RIGHT!
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

LessThanZero wrote:YES, IT IS A NEGLECTED MASTERPIECE! I'M RIGHT!
It and many other great tracks are on this

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=music
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

That looks like a good compilation. "What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted" by Jimmy Ruffin, "Helpless" by Kim Weston, "Heaven Must Have Sent You" by The Elgins, all great songs.
the poisoner

Post by the poisoner »

punch the clock is definitely the most underrated elvis album.
trust second most and juliet letters third.
if it wasn't for 'everyday' it would be a spectacular album.
let them all talk is a fanatstic number, mainly due to the horns.
charm school, boxing day and element within her are some of the sneakiest songs. they never grabbed me but i would find myself humming them all day.

add the invisible man, world and his wife, and pills and soap and there is no real dead spot on the whole album.
tho i do find (obviously in the minority here) that shipbuilding is his most overrated song. it's a good song . but that is it.

add the fact that ptc is my favorite, and arguably the best, re-issue, it's an embarrassment of riches.
to me i feel this is/was his nexus. alot of things fell perfectly in place and allowed him to venture into other areas of music.
it felt at the time like he said 'ok. i did it. so what is next on the horizon?'
oh, i useta be disgusted
now i try to be amused
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Debate over.... PTC isn't ruined by production so much that it detracts from the greatness of the songs, and the horns rock my world... just listen to Invisible Man and try not to boogie on down to that brass!