Pretty self-explanatory
HungupStrungup

"Live By Request" setlist - NY 9/25/03

Post by HungupStrungup »

I'll update this later. So far no real surprises. It's:

I Hope You're Happy Now
Radio Radio
Everyday I Write the Book
(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes ("This is a song I wrote in 10 minutes on a train.")

(Mark McEwan is an idiot: "We'll hear some songs from Elvis' new album North, which is a hot one.")
Fallen
Still

Alison (Surprise, surprise!)/Suspicious Minds
So Like Candy
Pump It Up
All This Useless Beauty (requested by Burt Bacharach)
Beyond Belief
Accidents Will Happen
Clubland (technical difficulties, no caller, so Elvis picked it)

North
Couldn't Call It Unexpected No.4 (Elvis off-mike)

(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding?
Last edited by HungupStrungup on Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:56 pm, edited 14 times in total.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

I LOVE THIS SHOW!
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Wow, the board's pretty "still" when elvis is on tv. :D
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

i peeked, LTZ.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

that was my request! haha!
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

happy poppet
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

Beyond Belief. i certainly thought it hard enough.

happy, shiny poppet.
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

and a commercial for a sting concert!!!

hee hee!

loving this. fun fun.

evening at school, then elvis live on tv.

must go watch MORE
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Well, I came in late - a recurring theme in my life - but I'm setting the VCR for later when it airs again.

I am also happy. This is my concert since he hasn't been SOUTH yet, only NORTH! :)
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

THAT WAS AWESOME!

Though more curveballs would have been nice.. it was neat to see "All This Useless Beauty" though.
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

That was great! It was like seeing him on tour last year, all the energy, and he was in a hell of a good mood, wasnt he?

He didnt play ANY of the songs I requested, but I dont even care! :P

Okay, I care a little . . .
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I hope to watch the rest later, given the VCR records correctly after I go to sleep. It's already been a long day.

It was nice to see Elvis before I went to bed. Like I could just relax in my own room and have a private concert!! And a drink! :)
Misha

Post by Misha »

So, I'm tempted to spit.....

Here is my night of fun:

I put in the tape to record the show, set the timer, figure everything is well.

Show starts, get phone number, call, get through, request one song, taken, another, taken, another, taken, another, taken.....she tells me to call back.

I call back, finally get through again, pick High Fidelity....ready to guess 10 more times, have a list.....she is excited, not picked, wants my name, city, and tells me not to hang up.....she comes back on again, tells me not to hang up.....man picks up phone, tells me he will put me on towards the end part of the show, don't hang up.....

So I sit....trying to sign onto my freakin email so I can tell you guys, cause you guys would appreciate it....internet hates me, won't sign on.

After being on hold like 25 minutes, line goes dead. I about die. Spend rest of show calling back, get through three times, just rings, no humans.

During this time, VCR stops recording....I jump up, grab new tape, eject current tape, discover I have taped over Eddie Izzard Circle video....put in new tape, press record.

I'm sitting there trying to call back in still, and on the tv EC goes to the phones and no one is there....was that me?

You know, it's one of those nights......

Whoever said one hour of music and one hour of commercials wasn't far off....

What the hell was up with putting a commercial in the middle of So Like Candy? I actually requested that via email!! The nerve!!!

Liked the show a lot, will probably like it more if I am not hanging up the phone and pushing redial during most of it...and threatening the computer.
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

A lot of fun, but like the others I was hoping for a few "rarities" - he seemed in good spirits and Burt sure had me fooled.

I wonder what else we missed - they (A&E) screwed up "So Like Candy" - were we supposed to see that or not?

And we caught the very end of "You Belong To Me" - fucking commercials - just tell us what we need to buy at the outset and let us watch the show. Perhaps the dvd will be for sale down the road.

Bonus - Red Sox clinched the AL wild card.
BlondTrophyWife

Post by BlondTrophyWife »

Dont get me wrong. I love seeing Elvis sing anything but I was a little disappointed by the requests they picked. I know I should have expected it but I guess after reading all of the songs the people on this board requested I was hoping we would get a few more treats. I really get tired of the same old " I'm a really huge fan of yours. Can you play Alison?" :roll: Kwim?? Anyway, what am I bitching about, at least he sang my song :) Well, gotta go. I completely ignored my kids for the last 2 hours :oops:
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

That's alright Misha! Because of your phone line, he played Clubland! Thanks!
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I guess that's my main beef.. people are calling claiming to be huge fans and requesting mostly really popular songs. I'm surprised no one requested "Veronica." Maybe the operator was told to ignore calls requesting "Veronica." Would have been great to hear "High Fidelity" misha... too bad you got cut off!
Misha

Post by Misha »

Also, everyone note that he went out of his way to show us his guitar tech...Stan, apparently alive and well....not dead....must have given him a couple of days off to regroup...
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Misha...

Were all of the songs you tried to request (aside from "High Fidelity") actually played?

I'd be curious to know if they told people songs were "taken" when they really just weren't on a list of approved songs.
And No Coffee Table

Am I the only one who thinks the "Burt" call was a hoax?

Frankly, I expected to see people speculating about it already.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I think it was him. He does live in Canada these days, and his voice really does sound like that. I've heard him interviewed a few times. Although he was kind of being silly at the beginning.
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

If by "hoax" you mean set up in advance, maybe. Although Elvis seemed genuinely surprised.

It was Bacharach though. He has a very distinctive voice and a distinctive way of laughing, and at the end it was clearly him.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
Misha

Post by Misha »

No Coffee Table,

Nope, songs I asked for, mind you there were many, I was desperate...Man out of time, Oliver's Army, Stand up for falllin down, New Lace Sleeves, Riot Act and sweet dreams,,,,she would hear me say the title, take a second and then say no it was taken....obviously they weren't...I took my very best of EC book and just started reading titles trying to get on...the second call I started with High Fidelity, apparently that was approved...I think there was a list, cause otherwise, how would Stan--our new found celebrity--know which guitar to give him? Is he talking to Miss Cleo backstage..I think not!! Maybe it was John Edwards talking to Elvis's dead people to find out which guitar to hand him next..

I think there was a list, you wouldn't want some yahoo calling out of the blue and requesting something you hadn't played in years....not on live tv....and we all know who us yahoos are...I tried to pick things I thought he might actually play.

As for seeing all of So Like Candy, we will see that on DVD one day, as we just did with BB King, cause his live on a & e dvd came out on Tuesday with North....

:lol:
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
And No Coffee Table

HungupStrungup wrote:If by "hoax" you mean set up in advance, maybe. Although Elvis seemed genuinely surprised.

It was Bacharach though. He has a very distinctive voice and a distinctive way of laughing, and at the end it was clearly him.
No, I meant that it wasn't really Burt. But with everyone else convinced it was him, I'm now less skeptical. I also wasn't aware that Burt now lived in Canada.
E.C. Lover

Post by E.C. Lover »

I just finished watching the show, and it was really exciting,much more than I expected! My husband wasn't home from work yet for the opening number, so there I was, all alone with my glass of wine(o.k. it was a bottle of wine) dancing like I was on the Charlie Brown Christmas special. I could not possibly have been a bigger geek. I think I scared my dogs.
It really was like seeing him live again....ahhh...good times.
I do hate the ridiculous number of commercials though. But, as my husband pointed out to me , they do have to pay for it somehow.
I was totally fooled by the Burt thing, but "All this useless beauty" made the evening for me.
So now I am going to bed drunk and happy, and making certain to set the alarm in time to catch Regis & Kelly.
Good night all!