The Official "I Have North" Thread...

Pretty self-explanatory
bobster

Post by bobster »

Got mine last night, right after watching the live feed at the Virgin Megastore. Was going to wait a few days to buy it because I shouldn't even be here right now and I don't have time to listen to it. But it was on sale....(Virgin is usually overpriced, but they had it for $14.99, which I figured was about the best price I was likely to get there.)

I also listened to it. Kind of forbidding, kind of beautiful.
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
E.C. Lover

Post by E.C. Lover »

So, I got my copy yesterday.
My day started off on the wrong foot because, like all of us, I was eagerly awaiting the release of this album,but because I was running late for work, I stopped at the Target to pick up the CD. Target is on the way to the freeway, and being a little broke right now I thought it would be cheaper. Ofcourse, they didn't have it!
I had to visit three accounts,trying to rush through all of my sales calls before I finally plunked down the $17.99 for it at a locally owned record store,supporting local business and all.
I am still undecided as to how I feel about this record. It has been really rainy here for the last couple of days, and I spend much of my day in the car. So, the setting has been all wrong. The rain part is perfect but the car part and the working part aren't. I think I have yet to be in the right environment to really enjoy it.
I need to be inside with a glass of wine and some good company.
That will be my goal for the weekend, I'm going North.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Don't feel bad, EC Lover, I stopped by Target just after dropping the kids off to school, thinking they were open first and MIGHT have it. Of course, I was wrong, because you couldn't find your way through the front of the store for all the Nickelback new release cd's.

I went somewhere else.
Misha

Post by Misha »

Ok, my boss and I left work yesterday in a frenzy to get it.....work be damned. We were on a zippy rush trip and very excited. We put the cd in and hit a brick wall....hard!! (not with the car). Listened to it like four times total yesterday, convinced it is different brands of vanilla ice cream...

Today, I'm leaving work, kinda moody, thinkin about life, stuck in traffic, very introspective, totally different attitude, and it went beautifully....still no rocky road anywhere, but it worked.

Hell, I don't know what to think. He seems very introspectively in love, instead of bounding with love....I think I appreciate the bounder more?
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
lipstickvogue

Post by lipstickvogue »

Has anyone the $35 Japanese CD? Is this the only place to get the Prelude and Too Blue?

I swear EC is gonna make me sell a kidney one of these days. :shock:
it's always another day after twelve o'clock's struck
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I didn't get any glossy pictures, just 3 normal b&w ones of EC at the end of the booklet. And the cover is black/silver; did anyone get a plain b&w cover? Almost broke the DVD trying to pull it out (tight fit).

I'm still waiting for those reissues though... "Allow 10-20 days for delivery" they said. It's been about 15, and I'm starting to think they got lost.

I'm being drawn in, and forgetting that the sounds are instruments. I've concentrated on certain songs and listened to them a few times in a row and they start to sink in. I've listened about 5 times and there's still more going on -- much more than what the words alone are saying, as predicted by some when the lyrics were first put up on this site. EC's singing is minimalist, but I get the feeling some of these songs might attract some fuller "cover" treatment and become hits by people I don't normally care to listen to.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Your inlay pics aren't glossy bamboo....outrage! Have to say again how cool the disc designs look though (with a little black and white weed).

Dunno about Prelude/Too Blue...Im dubious now as to whether they'll release a Cruel Smile kinda special tracks and live thing, but I'd like to think they would.

Isn't being a completist the most annoying thing in the world (not to mention expensive...I wonder what my wife's gonna think of me whittling away our retirement fund on out of print records and dvds when I eventually get married)
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Bamboo--had the same problem with dvd. Only after I put the cd in the dvd player and ff'd it not once but twice trying to find the bonus dvds!! I also set a cutting board on fire(accidentally), but that's another story. First listen in the auto and I'm halfway thru.....first impression--as Misha said, different brands of vanilla. But I wanna hear it during a rainstorm. Or after a fight with mr. swung.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

laughing crow wrote:Your inlay pics aren't glossy bamboo....outrage!
Well, not exactly matte, just not especially glossy... only mildly glossy. But hey, it did come with Impatience, you know. Isn't it just faaabulous? Ooops, didn't mean to make those Americans jealous.

And Mood, are you sure you can drive a car and listen to North at the same time? I think it requires, and repays, full attention.
Misha

Post by Misha »

Lipstick V--when you sell that kidney, let me know what you got for it...I may be in..

I ordered the Japanese one from Amazon...it's costing me 43.00 in the long run with shipping, they sent me an email yesterday saying it was on it's way...I'll let you know if I find a ring in box of Cracker Jacks.
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
bobster

Post by bobster »

Misha --

You -- and your BOSS -- quit work to go get "North"?!

That's my kind of boss/job!

And the fact that I also live in L.A. -- and also kinda need a job -- has absolutely nothing to do with my curiosity.... :?
http://www.forwardtoyesterday.com -- Where "hopelessly dated" is a compliment!
cbartal

Post by cbartal »

After about 5 listens, I'd have to say that I anticipate this being another classic EC album. The first 3 songs, which upon first listening, appeared to be trying, have suddenly caught me by surprise.

This is a wonderful time to be a fan. It's like putting Imperial Bedroom, or Beatles White on for the first time. I just retain so much more with every listen.
Gillibeanz

AARRGGHHH!!!

Post by Gillibeanz »

Ive got the right hump here!! I went to the Elvis site to download my 'exclusive digital download' from the CD....typed in my pin code and waited and nothing happened!! I tried again but it wont divvy up much to my partners amusement!!!! He still hasnt forgiven me for finding out England are playing thenight of the london gig we are going to (im none too pleased either!! :( )

Any suggestions anyone befoe this computer goes flying through the window??? :x
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
HungupStrungup

Post by HungupStrungup »

Gilli, if you got no error message or anything, that probably means it's "temporary Internet conditions," meaning congestion, thousands of folks trying to do the same thing you're doing at the same time you're doing it. Try bouncing out of bed early tomorrow (or on the weekend might be good)and going online straightaway.
"But it's a dangerous game that comedy plays
Sometimes it tells you the truth
Sometimes it delays it"
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Hungup thanks but I dont get the error message...it says downloading in a short while then I get bugger all!!

Will take your advise and then try again another day (mumble grumble) :?
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Gilli...you'd lament missing England play? You know they're just gonna lose to Turkey and you're gonna end up being beaten by the mighty (ok, ok, not so mighty) Von Tartan Army in the playoffs.

Semper Te Fallus
idle hands

Post by idle hands »

well, I officialy DON'T have North yet, ordered it at CD Universe, it must be travelling over the Americas by now and I'll probably get it two more weeks from now. It will probably be here just the week I'm not in Chile, so I'm sure it'll get lost...

but the good part is that I'm leaving for Norway for two weeks on Oct 4th, and on my return I'm planning to go to Rome for the oct 19th concert!! :D :D :D :D I just bought the ticket, it will be my first Elvis show ever, I'm sooo excited about this... i just hope my plans dont get ruined...

anyone else going to the Rome concert??
que no panda el cunico
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Gilli, I am having the same problem, and I'm worried that since it crapped out, the code may not work on a second try. (They say the dowload is copy protected, and if they're going to that trouble, I'm assuming the codes work only once, but who knows...)

Related question: I bought HAIL TO THE THIEF in Ireland, and to play it on my computer, it opens up its own special player. You CANNOT play it with WindowsMedia, or, in my case, MusicMatch. Which means I can't rip the fucker. Anyone know what is up with that?!?! Ok, computer... or not.
laughingcrow

Post by laughingcrow »

Yeah I think my version of Hail to the thief does that...something about piracy. I heard that they're going to start making CDs with the hole off centre, so it could play in a CD player but not a computer.

I downloaded the North track off the net fine (albeit took an age), but then I found out I didn't have the right version of Win Media Player. So i thought sod it, I'm not downloading all night (I do have a life, contrary to popular belief). The download asks for your email and everything, so I reckon that's another rattrap for spam fiends.... I gave them a false one. HA I beat the system...put that in your pipe and smoke it Gates!
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

I bought HTTT in Ireland too and it ripped fine. Maybe a mac thing.

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
selfmademug

Post by selfmademug »

Well, if I may say, that is fucking awful. (Not the Mac compatibility, the 'piracy' bullshit.) Next they'll be encoding them so they can only be played at certain times of day, and including a brainwave signal to prevent you from ever whistling the tunes... very disappointing from RH, to say the least.
whtesde

Post by whtesde »

Payday came early for me, so I got North (um, officially, since I kinda downloaded everything beforehand. Bad me!) and the Trust reissue. My thoughts: It's a very particular album, and it's not good just-walking-around music. It's great if you want to come down after a tough day/long night, or for a quiet evening with the one you love. Also like that it just dances along the edge of sap.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

whtesde wrote:Also like that it just dances along the edge of sap.
Yes, but that sap is SO SO SO GOOD!

it's like VERMONT sap!

That sap is PFW. And North is dancing around it beautifully.

I still like My Thief.
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Well, at the risk of getting bashed on here by someone, I have come to a conclusion that I would like to share. Although I think Jackson Monk will agree with me, at least as far as Jacqueline is concerned.

*ducking head* I like the Brodsky quartet.

For months I have been enjoying The Juliet Letters. When I first bought North, I kept going back to Still. I finally looked at the liner notes and realized that it was the quartet playing on that track. I think he plays well with them and wish they had done more on this cd with him.

I wish I liked some of the other songs as much, but Still is still my favorite. I'm continuing to listen, but I've been going back and forth making mental contrasts and comparisons with his other music. I listen to North for a while, then TJL. I listen to North for a while, then KOA, and so on.

It helps me understand Elvis more. :)
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

selfmademug wrote:Gilli, I am having the same problem, and I'm worried that since it crapped out, the code may not work on a second try. (They say the dowload is copy protected, and if they're going to that trouble, I'm assuming the codes work only once, but who knows...)
SMM~ I think you're right on because that's what happened with the promo cd from the Sunday Times (London). One try and it wouldn't go again. I didn't try to download my North video yet which finally arrived TODAY!!! Along with a load of the reissues that I've had to catch up on!!! :D
Not enough hours in the day, Elvis. Your total media saturation/domination is slowly taking over my life! I haven't gotten a chance to listen to any of North except for the first two tracks so far.
(argh!)
I'm not angry anymore....