EC, TIM Festival Rio de Janeiro - 10/23/2005-mp3 Torrent

Post offers for legally distributable EC music, memorabilia, tickets, etc.
martinfoyle

EC, TIM Festival Rio de Janeiro - 10/23/2005-mp3 Torrent

Post by martinfoyle »

While we wait for a superior version to surface, here's a mp3 version.

http://www.torrentspy.com/torrent/49756 ... iro_1_23_5

http://www.elviscostello.info/setlists/051023.php
Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux

Post by Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux »

This is a very good recording for anyone deliberating whether to download it. I personally could care less whether it's mp3 or not - and this sure beats the majority of .wav sourced shows in circulation.

Just my $.02.

P.S. It was a slow moving download, but perhaps it has more seeds now and will move a bit quicker?

If anyone does grab this, could you tell me if you hear something unusual at the 8th second of I Can't Stand Up.....? Either the band has a collective seizure or some other weird occurence happens. You'll know what I mean if you hear it.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

I think Pete got his cue wrong for a second, and started playing something else for a second. Whatever, I agree with you, this is a great recording, a real Christmas treat. I think this is the first soundboard/fm feed we've gotten of a show since the Chicago show in the spring of 2002. The band are clearly in awesome shape, the few months break has them well refreshed. The mp3 aspect is only obvious if you listen loudly on headphones. There probably will be gaps between the tracks, I converted them to WAV and edited them out. 'Mystery Dance', thrack 14, is actually that song and 'Why Dont You Love Me Like You Used To Do'. Hopefully a lossless version will come our way soon. Dare I say it, I'm sure there's a fair few old skool EC fans who'd gladly pay good money for a legitimate release of this rather than the set coming out in the new year.

This to me is the absolute finest performance I have heard of theirs, either via recording or in person. The performance of "She" is terrific, mostly because Elvis doesn't try to do his acrobat routine reaching for high notes. Rather he keeps the whole song mostly within his "North" baritonish-range. "Oliver's Army" as well as other songs feature a dirtier sounding electric guitar than he has been playing, and doesn't feature that Steve's crappy-sounding keyboards (he plays well, but the electric piano/keys he uses often sounding thin and shitty IMO). There seems to be a different sound to their playing here.....perhaps as Martin said they were refreshed having not performed much for the three months prior to this.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Maybe it was the musically inspiring Brazilian air that got them on top form, or perhaps Elv and Pete renounced their teetotalism and went on a heavy caipirinha session before the gig, explaining Pete's unbelievable loss of the rhythm on ICSUFFD.

Sounds very encouraging. About to download. The MP3 thing perplexes me. All the posters on Dime sermonise about not not converting the torrents to MP3 and distributing, but what does it matter if you can convert back to WAV? And as TPPD observes, with a good quality recording you'd hardly notice the difference.

Anyone know of a difference between AIFF and WAV? I can import into iTunes with either, and can't perceive one.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:The MP3 thing perplexes me. All the posters on Dime sermonise about not not converting the torrents to MP3 and distributing, but what does it matter if you can convert back to WAV?
The problem is, that encoding to MP3 *always* loses sound quality, and it can never be retrieved.

Plus, repeated decode/encode (i.e. WAV> MP3> WAV> MP3> WAV et seq), will eventually sound cr@p, even if it's always done at top quality.

So, the rule that Dime (and elsewhere) follows is to use MP3 for personal use only - "don't pollute the trade pool".
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Otis Westinghouse

Thought you'd have the technical low-down! Is AIFF more equivalent to WAV or MP3? It was the default option on iTunes when I started using it, so have stuck with it since.

Been trying to download this show since I posted the above, and no seeds at all! Do you guys not have the files up and running?
ReadyToHearTheWorst

AIFF (Apple Interchange File Format?) is an 'uncompressed' format, so it's nearer to WAV than MP3.

I'm seeding, but I don't see any peers just now - I think the tracker is down. I'll leave it open for a few days though, but if no joy drop me a PM and we can sort something out.
Otis Westinghouse

I don't feel too bad about AIFF then! I'll have to do a check of different files imported in using WAV and AIFF and also MP3 and see how they compare.

Rio is now seeding. Hooray! Raqther slowly - 7 days remaining as things stand, but no doubt it will speed up. Looking forward to it a lot, especially She, which I've never heard him play live.

I've been seeding, but who knows what the deal is with torrentspy. Seems like a third-rate DIME wannabe. Hopefully the show comes through for you!
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
Rio is now seeding. Hooray! Raqther slowly - 7 days remaining as things stand, but no doubt it will speed up. Looking forward to it a lot, especially She, which I've never heard him play live.
I've made She available here

http://s42.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2Z3X ... YQJ1M8SSEW

Hope the torrent comes through for you soon.

Evidently there's a DVD of this show out there. I gots-ta get my hands on this!
http://www.elviscostello.info/disc/boot ... d_back.jpg
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Turquoise Pajamas Pt Deux wrote:Evidently there's a DVD of this show out there. I gots-ta get my hands on this!
Not quite the DVD, but this might do in the meantime:

http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3424047
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

122.34 MiB, so one can presume it's another lossy version. I'm hoping to get a copy of the dvd soon and then we'll look into getting a good quality audio done.

This file is actually about 699 MB, listed as an .avi file...video ripped from MTV. Only problem is that there's not enough seeding action to get this baby downloading. :(
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

I've downloaded the avi.-files and they contain a FANTASTIC VIDEO of EC's performance at the TIM festival.

Get it while you can!!!
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
AlmostBlue

Post by AlmostBlue »

sweetest punch wrote:I've downloaded the avi.-files and they contain a FANTASTIC VIDEO of EC's performance at the TIM festival.

Get it while you can!!!
someone please seed !!! ??? :-)
I promise to seed for weeks afterward
AlmostBlue

Post by AlmostBlue »

thank you thank you !
this is the best EC / Imposters performance I have ever heard - by far - amazing
the crowds in he latin countries always bring out the best - the US mainland concerts must be quite boring for a performer in comparison
King Hoarse

Post by King Hoarse »

Isn't it great to hear Elvis' guitar this loud? They should have released a great proper gig like this on dvd & stuck some of Clubdate on as bonus material imho.
What this world needs is more silly men.
AlmostBlue

Post by AlmostBlue »

King Hoarse wrote:Isn't it great to hear Elvis' guitar this loud? They should have released a great proper gig like this on dvd & stuck some of Clubdate on as bonus material imho.
yes, that was quite nice!

why is it normally so quite.. probably partially Bruce Thomas' fault.. as he jokes in "Big Wheel," "we used to change the rotate the numbers on the reostat on his guitar to quiet him down, as he was always too loud." :-)
Yanyna

Re: EC, TIM Festival Rio de Janeiro - 10/23/2005-mp3 Torrent

Post by Yanyna »

Is this still available somewhere? Especially the .avi file?
"Everything Important I Learned In Life Was From Woody Allen."
scamp

Post by scamp »

Yanyna wrote:Is this still available somewhere? Especially the .avi file?
One version is seeding here
Yanyna

Post by Yanyna »

scamp wrote:
Thanks!!
"Everything Important I Learned In Life Was From Woody Allen."
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Yanyna wrote:
scamp wrote:
Thanks!!
Yanyna, are you still seeding? I'm stuck at 73%.

Thanks.