EC & the A's, Jay's Longhorn, Minneapolis, 14 Feb 1978

Post offers for legally distributable EC music, memorabilia, tickets, etc.
martinfoyle

EC & the A's, Jay's Longhorn, Minneapolis, 14 Feb 1978

Post by martinfoyle »

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=49312
Elvis Costello & The Attractions
Live at Jay's Longhorn
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
14 February 1978

Technical:
Original Source: KQRS-FM recording
Lineage this torrent: WAV > CD-R > WAV > Cool Edit 2000 > FLAC (encoding level 8)
Sound quality: B+

An acquaintance who attended this show requested I remove the microblips (wave drops) at the end of the tracks. I received the show in WAV format on a CD-R. The blips I removed were for a fraction of a second and, I believe, were not caused by reproducing (burning) this show using TAO instead of DAO. Given the age of the original recording, it's hard to identify how these might have been generated.

There is some subtle, but noticeable feedback on some tracks, notably at the beginning of Lipstick Vogue. This may have been picked up during the original recording. There is also some minor variation in channel strength throughout the show.

However, the quality of the original reproduction is strong, so these flaws, although noticeable, are not annoying. If not for these flaws, I would give the recording an "A".

Artistic
According to http://www.elviscostello.info, this performance would have occurred on Elvis's first U.S. tour. "The Attractions" had formed during the previous year and included Pete Thomas (drums), Steve Nieve (keyboards), and Bruce Thomas (bass). The venue, Jay's Longhorn in Minneapolis, was a relatively small but famous spot in Minneapolis for showcasing emerging local and world-famous talent.

The more I Iistened to this show, the more I appreciated the early Costello "punk", the engaging rythymns and the tight presentations. Hope you enjoy.
Setlist:

1. Hand In Hand 2:07
2. Waiting For The End Of The World 3:26
3. No Action 2:11
4. Less Than Zero (Dallas version) 3:33
5. The Beat 3:34
6. The Angels Wanna Wear My Red Shoes 2:19
7. This Year's Girl 3:28
8. I Don't Want To Go To Chelsea 4:04
9. Radio Radio 2:39
10. You Belong To Me 2:03
11. Lipstick Vogue 4.45