This Land is Oily's Land

Post pictures of yourself, your family, or just things you found interesting.
Misha

Post by Misha »

Who ever has clear clean water? The stuff that comes out of the tap here in the city takes a minute to turn clear. It's a lot like a science project, you fill a glass and watch the magic.....sometimes everything just settles on the bottom.....mmmm, mmmmm, tasty.

We drink bottled water, not because we think it's better, but because nothing has to settle before we drink it.

You'll be glad to know all the cooties in our water are below the accepted parts per million. Now, if they could just get the chunks out.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Though drinking water that hasn't been through a treatment plant where some of the sewage has been recycled and purified is just creepy... :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm only going to drink vanilla cream soda from this day out....wonder what it will taste like when I brush my teeth?
Where are the strong?

Who are the trusted?
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

having spent time in countries where we western folks can't drink the water outta the tap w/o risking serious harm, american tap water is a-ok.

and water treated w/ iodine? EWWWWWWWWWW!!!! but, those nasties are all killed. let the dirt settle to the bottom though, don't shake the container. and wash your clothes downstream of where you take the water to drink.

fyi, powdered gatorade does a damn fine job of masking the taste of iodine.
... name the stars and constellations,
count the cars and watch the seasons....
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

Okay, late into the discussion, as usual (just got my home system back up!!)

I'm fortunate to live in the GREAT PACIFIC NORTHWEST (where men are men, and sheep are TERRIFIED), but I guess I've always been fortunate where water quality is concerned.

Oily, don't let this put you off of what you're doing. You appear to be on "higher ground", so the speak, and, since "shit flows downhill", you should be fortunate enough to find the "good stuff" (although it may take a little deeper drilling...trust me, it's worth it!). My mom lives in the Mountains (Republic, Washington) on 24 acres, and, though she's on her 2nd well (the runoff from the mountain streams seems to migrate), the water there is SO cold, and SO sweet, she keeps the filtration to a minimum (something about the altitude and geological features in the area makes it unecessary).

The water in Yakima (which may be the world's largest irrigated desert valley) is all diverted from fresh water rivers & Cascade mountain runoff, plus a little help with added flouridation, and I've yet to run into a glass of fresh tapwater that didn't taste clean & fresh (exception: Rusty shitty plumbing fixtures). For several years, I live in Seattle, which has (according to TIME magazine) some of the best tasting "city water" in the U.S.

Now, the flip side of the coin...

As a child (circa birth to age 14), my parents had occasion to take us to a small, rural region, just Southwest of Yakima (proper) known as "Cottonwood Canyon". They had several families that we spent weekends with (parents drinking Bali Hai, Heidleberg Beer, and playing Pinochle, while the kids ran around playing with rattlesnakes, sheepdogs, and sagebrush), and at least ONE MEMBER (usually 2 or 3) of EVERY FAMILY IN THAT CANYON has died of some type of cancer (lymphoma, lung, liver, skin, colon cancer...you name it, someone out there had it). Now, I know that the good folks of the HANFORD NUCLEAR RESERVATION in Washington State are rumoured to have had some doings out there at some time in the not-so-distant past, but I have yet to find anything conclusive online or anywhere else.

A lot of suicides out that way, as well...one boy stuck a gun in his mouth while standing at the end of the driveway & blew his brains out in the presence of family & friends, because his girlfriend had just "called off" their relationship...a friend of my father's left a note on his bedroom door for his youngest daughter, shortly after his wife of some 40+ years had lost her battle with cancer:

"Don't come in. Go down the driveway and get your Uncle Joe".

So, of COURSE she went in. He'd swallowed the barrel of a shotgun, pulled the trigger with his big toe. Some sort of "organic" brain disorder.

Another note: The kid who blew his head off in the driveway? His sister died 5 years ago (age of 30)...seems she was in the County Jail, on one of those work crews that walk down the shoulders of the county roads & highways (would that be "the verge" for those of you across the pond?) picking up trash, when she found a black duffle bag in a ditch. IN THE DUFFLE BAG was a not-so-modest amount of fairly pure cocaine. So, for whatever reason, she fashioned some plastic containers from the corners of the baggies contained within, as full of coke as she could get them, and swallowed them, hoping to smuggle them inside the jail (barter? favors?) At any rate, at least one (possibly 3, according to the coroner) burst open in her intestine. She died fairly quickly, but DAMN!!

All of these people used well water, wells drilled on their own property.

Rope??

Sorry, Oily...New years Eve, too much stimulation. Had to go there, ya know??

:oops:
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
mood swung

watch that first step!

Post by mood swung »

the dream becomes a reality. or a nightmare, depending.

He's taking reservations now!
Like me, the "g" is silent.
A rope leash

Fortress Oily

Post by A rope leash »

With a pillbox like that, he'll be able to shoot them revenuers before they even get close!
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

you'd need a healthy ladder. you don't have to crawl in my crawlspace buddy. and it's tennessee, so you don't need no stinkin' permits either!
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Looks like an awesome site Oily.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

You could hang glide off the deck! Would you need a permit for that?

Looks like a great place!
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

no permit goody, just balls.

and thanks boo, it is pretty.
mood swung

watch that first step

Post by mood swung »

steps cost extra....

DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Will there be Thirteen Steps Leading Down?
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

as a graduate of several thirteen step programs, i can say we like to think of them as steps leading up :)
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Reminds me of a design idea I had for a such a high home -- an impressive set
of stairs to a grand entrance for guests to be in awe of, being led up as they struggle for breath,
but a secret elevator through an inconspicuous door just around the side or from your garage
for regular entry...
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Will the house include an Imperial Bedroom?
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

no, but it'll have a battered old bird.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

it is finally done and you can view it, should you wish, at the link below. scroll down for additional photos.

http://www.dogwoodcabins.com/rentals/mo ... meAway.htm
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Nice job, Oily! Looks really good. :)
Jackson Monk

Post by Jackson Monk »

Fantastic...really good. 8)
corruptio optimi pessima
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Looks good Oily.
signed with love and vicious kisses
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Very nice oily. I gotta get me one of them.

Must be very gratifying to have it finished. I wouldn't know where to begin.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
pip_52

Post by pip_52 »

Wow, Oily, it looks great!
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

thank youvery rich. and yes sam, it is gratifying. a little dreamin and a sketch pad and several years of saving some money and searching for the right spot and builder. i'm happy to report it was reserved for 27 of the 31 days in july before a full set of shots were displayed on the internet. we'll go back in august.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

you forgot to mention what wonderful neighbors you have.
Goody2Shoes

Post by Goody2Shoes »

My family rented Mr. Slick's cabin for a week. Flush toilets, running water, and everything. Seriously, it's way groovy. Better than the pictures, even. Youse all should go.
It's a radiation vibe I'm groovin' on
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

not to mention FABULOUS neighbors. :lol: