'Ah! simple pleasures and the bare necessities'

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jack of All Parades

'Ah! simple pleasures and the bare necessities'

Post by Jack of All Parades »

http://www.npr.org/2013/08/21/209579037 ... n=20130821

Now I think I understand my daughters and their peers and am fully convinced we will not emerge from this economic depression any time soon- even if Keynes was right about how to do so. :wink:
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Poor Deportee

Re: 'Ah! simple pleasures and the bare necessities'

Post by Poor Deportee »

While certainly a shift away from car ownership is objectively desirable, I agree with those 'comments' observing that a lot of this is just ideological rationalization of poverty. The Millennial generation has been systematically and catastrophically betrayed by its predecessors, whose conscious policy choices left it with a world of zero job security and a vanishing middle class. Good that they can tell themselves it's OK, but one on level that is just another manifestation of the cataclysimic depoliticization of today's young. Really, a sad comment.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
Jack of All Parades

Well my eldest is doing her part- she is buying a car in New Orleans, as I type. :wink:
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Jack of All Parades wrote:Well my eldest is doing her part- she is buying a car in New Orleans, as I type. :wink:
Ha ha, shame on her for destroying the earth!!! :mrgreen: Now if only she could abandon the obsolete dream of home-ownership, why, she'd be right with the curve.

Personally, I am regularly filled surprised at the good fortune that landed me in a stable, decent-paying job with a modicum of security in the parlous field of academia. Here's the legacy bequeathed us by the prosperous and tenure-fattened scholars of the 1960s and 70s - in essence, a portrait of the generational rip-off in miniature:

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinio ... on_ref_map
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
Jack of All Parades

God- that is so disheartening. My Brother in law is a full professor at Brandeis and heads the math department. The stories he tells of your profession would put fear in one's heart for your economic future. It is hard to believe so many still believe it will trickle down to them like mana from heaven... :cry: