Savages- are they worth the hype?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jack of All Parades

Savages- are they worth the hype?

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Otis- a question for you if you are aware of them. Are they worth my further attention? I like what I have heard on Spotify so far. This song "Flying to Berlin" is staying on my ipod:

http://youtu.be/Np6z6o3iVUQ

There is a piece in the new New Yorker about them. I am intrigued by the nearness in sound to Joy Division. I like the way each instrument stands on its own, seemingly dominant in the song but yet working as a part of the whole. They have a most intoxicating sound to my ears. Have you heard of them?
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Otis Westinghouse

Re: Savages- are they worth the hype?

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

I think they were on Later, often the way I see new bands these days! This was the last season, not the current one. I think I thought what I think about so many new bands: it seems to be all about how they look. Like they spent so long in front of their bedroom mirrors, they actually look like someone's marketing department came up with them. that said, that may have been another band! YouTube seems to be malfunctioning right now, so can't check out the clip.

I have an instant aversion to anyone remotely in the 'new Joy Division' camp, like Interpol or Editors a few years ago. If you start out sounding like one band is by far the favourite in your collection, we'll be better off just sticking with the original!

I've given up getting too interested in over-hyped new bands as 99% are a waste of time and will be forgotten in 6 months. And there's so much other stuff to focus on. But then again, what starts out a bit ordinary and not too exciting, might end up mind-blowingly good, e.g. The National.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more