This makes Parenting seem worthwhile!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jack of All Parades

This makes Parenting seem worthwhile!

Post by Jack of All Parades »

My first born and I could not be prouder when I came upon this posting about her on Facebook by a former co-worker of hers when she was living and working in Taipei, Taiwan:

"Day #6 is about a radiant young lady named Kristin Sjoholm. Some of my coworkers and I were chatting today before class started, and Kristin's name came up. I knew immediatly that she would be my muse for the day. I met Kristin when I started working at a kindergarten in Taipei about a year and a half ago. Sadly (for my coworkers and I), she decided to move back to the states this past summer. The first day I met Kristen, I exclaimed, "You look like Felicity!" Yes, there are differences, but with that glorious mop of curly hair, and those eyes that alternate between innocence and a surprisingly deep knowing, Kristin will always remind me of that fresh-faced character that started university (on TV), the same year that I did. I can't remember a single instance in the year that we worked together that Kristin ever said anything negative about anyone. Yes, I know it's shocking, but these people DO exist, though they are incredibly rare. Where I would have said, "She's a crazy bitch, and I hope a house falls on her," Kristin would say something like, "She makes me feel frustrated." Where I might say something like, "He's the child of a sloppy turd and a parking ticket," she might say, "I think he's having a difficult time." Her heart is even bigger even than her Disney princess eyes, and I adore and miss her. In the mornings, I would stroll in about 1 minute before I absolutely had to, and she would already be there deep in preparation for some project or another. She would always tell stories about this horrible class she had in the evenings. In these stories she would often use words like "difficult," "challenging," "frustrating," and "upsetting," which we all understood as Kristin code for, "Those little f*ckers are the spawn of the devil's bigger, meaner brother, and a zombie armageddon would be a more pleasant way to spend my time." She would tell us how horrible she always felt because she was so "mean" to them, which would leave us all in fits of giggles. Trying to imagine Kristin as mean is like trying to imagine a depressing rainbow, or an adorable maggot. As with many of the amazing, inspiring, genuine people in my life, our time together (in person) was too short. I can't pin down a specific lesson or moral that I learned from Kristin, but I do know that having her in my life makes the world a better place. Though this post may be a little short and a little sweet, I want you to know Kristin that I think about you often (as does the rest of XinHu), and I would choose you over a ray of sunshine any day. Many hugs!"
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
verbal gymnastics

Re: This makes Parenting seem worthwhile!

Post by verbal gymnastics »

How lovely and satisfying for you both as parents and for your daughter to know that it's not just her parents who think she's wonderful!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
verbal gymnastics

In a cafe on Sunday, Mini VG2 ran off to a play area, turned round after about 20 yards, came back to me and said "I love you Daddy", turned round and ran off again.

It brightened my day up even further.
Jack of All Parades

Those are the times you take that inner eye Kodak shot and store it away in the gray matter for the future- it will bring you sunshine on many a crappy day. :D
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
verbal gymnastics

Mini VG (aged 6) read Fox in Socks to me tonight and it was really good. The best part is getting the giggles together :D
Jack of All Parades

Sweet and priceless to boot 8) Now comes the next in the series.....
verbal gymnastics

Well the next in the series was taking the 6 year old Mini VG to see Larkin Poe on Wednesday.

To say Mini VG enjoyed it would be somewhat of an understatement.

One of the many highlights of the evening was when she spoke to the lovely Rebecca Lovell before the show and Rebecca told her how pretty she was. Rebecca and the equally lovely Megan both signed a CD for her after and asked her if she enjoyed the show.

It was a late night but at various stages of the evening Mini VG told me how lucky she was and how much she loved me for letting her go.

Proud dad moment :D :D :D
Jack of All Parades

That has got to make you feel so good. Proud moment indeed.