New documentary about Philip Roth premiers.

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jack of All Parades

New documentary about Philip Roth premiers.

Post by Jack of All Parades »

This looks most promising. Hopefully I can get into the city to view it in the coming weeks.

http://movies.nytimes.com/2013/03/13/mo ... l?ref=arts
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Otis Westinghouse

Re: New documentary about Philip Roth premiers.

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Wanna see!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Jack of All Parades

Otis- it is going to be a PBS American Masters segment later this month on public television in the States. I think they do wind up on the internet. Otherwise you are welcome to come over to my house for a viewing. I will DVR it for you.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Jack of All Parades

Found this little piece in Slate today- a sane counter to the euphoria of would be tour takers:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... uthor.html
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Yeah but if you were on the tour with Roth himself, as per that recent article, now that would be worth putting the books down for. I've done very little in the way of literary heritage trails in my life, but I've got a bang from seeing where they sat and wrote. Robert Graves, Brontes... And of course seeing Joyce's Martello Tower was wonderful, even if he was only there a few weeks, it still is used for the opening of one of literature's most significant works.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Jack of All Parades

Otis, it was a glorious walk through the master's work with him personally reminiscing about specific details for each period of his life and each specific book. His home in the Berkshire Hills of Litchfield just over the border from me in CT is beautiful and bucolic. I was not aware that he may have a relationship with Mia Farrow these days. It was something to hear him talk of being up in Woodstock which is just up the road. There is a touching scene towards the end with him alone in his home listening attentively to Mahler's "Songs for Dead Children". My wife was moved by that. It was interesting to see him credit Salinger[just like Updike] with having a marked impact on the development of his own writing. The end with him chuckling that this piece had to have an end and then him chortling that it should just be about an old man waiting to die made me most sad. He is simply waiting for his end with a quiet dignity. I share two things with him- a deep love and respect for the work of Joseph Conrad and Franz Kafka. I hope you can get a chance to see it on You Tube should they run the American Masters series.
Jack of All Parades

Mr. Roth weighs in recently on his twilight on the occassion of the publication of a new Swedish translation of Sabbath's Theatre: a nice interview with a Swedish publication

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... VGdeH9nkmg

and I also came across this brief excerpt from an interview in 2012 that discusses his particular friendship with John Updike:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... DLeX5wK6dg