Happy Birthday Stan!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jack of All Parades

Happy Birthday Stan!

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Eighty six years ago Stan Getz was born-arguably the strongest tenor of the post-war jazz artists. I remember this appreciation penned by Haruki Murakami a few years back and the subtle reference to EC in the comment:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 8nj4Yyfovw
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Otis Westinghouse

Re: Happy Birthday Stan!

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

So he shares a birthday with James Joyce! 131 yesterday, and 90 years since the publication of Ulysses.

I always mark Feb 2nd with a few thoughts.

And Feb 3 - 23 years and counting since our first snog.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Jack of All Parades

Re: Happy Birthday Stan!

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Well yet another from you for my lexicon and a warm congrats to you and your wife on your anniversary. I am certain you must have a personal reading of Molly's epic soliloquy - "his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes."

I did not connect the two dates but that is a nice felicity and one I think Mr. Getz would have enjoyed. He was a ravenous reader as is shown in this piece that appeared in the NY Times just days after he passed in 1991. I also like the anecdote at the end about Sundays in Malibu, California when a mutual friend, Lou Levy, would visit him at his beach house bringing fresh lox and white fish and they would sit around and listen to an Al Cohn record:

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/06/09/magaz ... tml?src=pm
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'