Recently viewed films

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Who Shot Sam?

Re: Recently viewed films

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I really really enjoyed the new version of A Christmas Carol, directed by Robert Zemeckis. OK, my brother worked on it, so I am biased, but it was mostly faithful to the spirit of the story (no pun intended). The only slight misstep was the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come portion (loved the black horses, hated mini-Scrooge). But the 3D was breathtaking and the whole thing was a lot of fun.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Keeping up the run of midweek films with my wife (only way to make the most of a free 16 year old live-in babysitter is for it not to be on a Friday or Saturday) with Jane Campion's Bright Star, a film depicting Keats' relationship with Fanny Brawne, shown from her perspective and drawing from Andrew Motion's Keats biography. Amazing film, visually incredible, perfect direction, great acting, great use of the poetry, amazing evocation of early 19th century, entirely recommended. Lots of things reminiscent of The Piano, lots of silence punctuated by occasional intense music, historical setting, striking lighting, poetic cinematography, but I found this the more absorbing (though admittedly I haven't seen The Piano since its release. A film-maker of rare talent, haven't seen anything she's done between these two films.

Enjoyed the trailer for Where the Wild Things Are a) cos I love the book and have read it endlessly to my boys, b) as Spike Jonze is fun and it looks like a larf and c) the inspirational Arcade Fire anthem 'Wake Up' has been re-recorded especially for the trailer.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Otis Westinghouse

ice nine wrote:A Serious Man, the Coen brother's latest film, is odd and funny. The central family is your typical suburban Jewish family of the 1960s. Viewing this film helps if you are Jewish. It's one part Fargo and one part 'Portnoy's Complaint'.
I thought it was brilliant. One of their best. For me as a goy it was fascianting as a depiction. It certainly did have a lot in common with Fargo, replacing Swedish Lutherans who said 'Yah' all the time for a Jewish community (wasn't Fargo also in Minnesota?). Their sense of comic characters has never been better, so many funny moments here. The mix of comedy and bleakness was perfect. I also loved the opening with the dibbuk in the shtetl and the subtitled Yiddish. It had echoes in the film, was gratuitous to some extent, but also provided a powerful sense of Jewish history and the comedy with which they view their own religion. Totally recommended. Blue, did you get to see it too? (You said you would in the Toronto festival.)
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Viewed a "little film" last night with my wife, "Is Anybody There?", starring Michael Caine. I think it is a given that any film he appears in will ultimately be stolen by him and this is the latest example. He plays the Amazing Clarence, a widowed and aged magician who has been sent by British Social Services to live the remainder of his life in a small privately run retirement home somewhere on the English coast around Hull. Caine's character, Clarence, is one that will not go softly but instead "will rage against the dying of the light". And to assist him in this struggle is the ten year old son of the proprietors with his obsession with the paranormal and the ultimate question- is there life after death which he is constantly exploring as elderly people pass on and he tries to record with his tape deck the "evolution" of their spirits as they depart the body. The engagement between the old magician and the boy is the movie's crux- the old man who does not want to go softly into the dark and the young boy who is preternaturally 'old' and lonely.

You watch Caine register his pain so subtly in his face throughout the movie, one particular moment as he is showing the boy his accumulated possessions and suddenly comes across a stage prop titled the Disappearing Woman- the look of anquish and despair that so subtly comes across his face is an acting lesson in itself. As his character slips into dementia you watch, riveted, the blankness that comes across his expressions. I know it is months off but his performance needs to be recognized. Unfortunately, this is such a small film that spent no time in the theaters, that I doubt this will happen. Shame as he gives a memorable performance.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Otis Westinghouse

Where the Wild Things Are, Spike Jonze. I only got to know the book as a dad, but it remains a family favourite. The film lived up to its reviews: disappointing. Too long, not engaging enough, lacking the magic of the book. It expands it with lots of extra story (Max is traumatised by his parents' divorce, the wild things have lots of internal conflicts), but reading the book again with my 9 year old this evening showed up the limitations of the film. It just doesn't capture the book's magic or offer any alternative one of its own. It's not a bad film, just a bit of a let down.

Funny thing was I'd been loving the trailer with the re-recorded Arcade Fire's 'Wake Up' (still one of the most exciting songs I've had the pleasure to see live), knew it wasn't used in the film at all, but then from the sound of the music thought it was all AF but with a different female vocalist. It all sounded like the AF of Funeral in many ways. I then found out it was 'Karen O and the Kids', with no AF members in the band at all. Weird experience. The film could have done with 'Wake UP' to give it some lift. Here's the trailer:

[Weird: checked the above and it says 'Embedding disabled, watch on YouTube.' What difference does it make?]
Jack of All Parades

Thoroughly enjoyed "Up in the Air" last evening with the Mrs. and my middle daughter home from college. It is the first time I have seen George Clooney in a role that was totally satisfying. His performance caught his deft use of irony, comedy and pathos in one great character, Ryan Bingham. I had always liked Walter Kirn's novel when I read it years ago and this movie only opens up his funny prose and characters, a rare feat in movies. If George gets an Oscar I will be happy though I am secretly pulling for Jeff Bridges. It is fun to see George finally matched with a female character who can go toe to toe with him, Alex, played by a memorable Vera Farmiga. Their dialogue just oozes sex in particular a lounge scene where they are comparing airline and other perks and the double entendre of hugeness just fills the screen. The chemistry bubbles between these two and between Clooney and a new actress, Anna Kendrick, as Natalie the up and coming firm member.

While you are laughing, the underlying sad state of todays economic and social times keeps bumping up against the rootlessness of Ryan's life. As he moves across the country decimating the lives of workers "by the thousands", being cast off by corporate America in his job as an "out-placement counselor", he fires people for those who do not have the guts or courtesy to do it themselves. The pain on the faces of those displaced is hard to take and it hurts all the more if you have previously experienced it in your own life. I admire Jason Reitman's willingness to show this pain in this film and to use real workers in many of those scenes. The accumulated rootless and souless life Ryan lives is frequently reflected in the glazed over eyes and dumbfoundment we see on Clooney's face. The final image of an airplane wing with it's small beacon lit gliding over the land with Ryan's face at the window is memorable- the angel of death passing over the American heartland as jobs, lives, dreams, careers and towns vanish.

Equally enjoyed a small comedy from this past summer- "The 500 Days of Summer" with Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel. It is an agreeable update of a better love comedy from years ago- "Two for the Road" with Albert Finney and Audrey Hepburn. It shares that same frenetic movement of scenes across time as the relationship between two people ages. I like Levitt as an actor and feel he perfectly caught the decimation one can feel as a lover is lost. The way he could light his face up when his love came into his view is something to see. I also liked the deft usage of Smiths and Regina Specktor songs thoughout the film.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
alexv

Post by alexv »

glad you enjoyed Up in the Air, CS. I'ver recommended this movie to practically everyone I know. Clooney is terrific, as you say, and the subject matter creepy but interesting. What really struck me as genuinely unusual about the movie was the focus on his love of business travel, how it's almost a fetish for him. I've known a fair number of business travelers and one or two of them actually feel the same way. One guy, who claims to hate business travels, never fails to greet me by email or phone from wherever he is with "Greetings from ...." and I always get the sense that no matter how far from home he is, and how awful the meetings might be or how difficult it was to get out there, he's happy to be out in the world. This movie captures that spirit beautifully.

Christopher, I hate Zooey DeSchanelwhatever. A filmmaker I know worked with her years ago and she showed up on his set (a set that had Ed Harris and other great actors on it) and had an "assistant". She ain't no Audrey Hepburn.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Saw Avatar on Wednesday night with my son. I'm no fan of James Cameron, but my brother worked on the film, so I had to see it, right? In the end I'm glad that I did. It was pretty stunning, visually at least. The dialogue struck me as being a little hokey in places but that's almost beside the point when you have this kind of visual beauty. In a way, I kind of wish another director had tackled this premise, since it's a good one with all kinds of possibilities that they do not touch on, but I'm not sure that any other director would have been able to pull off the kind of grandeur that Cameron does. In any case, I would definitely recommend it, with the caveat that it is a very long film, at about two and a half hours.

Probably seeing Sherlock Holmes today.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Jack of All Parades

Alexv- saw that film, "Winter Passing"- Ed as usual was fun but I too have little use for Ms. Deschanel as an actress-which is why I focused on Joseph Gordon-Levitt who makes the film work- agree she is no Audrey Hepburn.
Jack of All Parades

Missed this one, "An Education", as it never played in a local theater during it's initial run. Too bad because it is one of more nuanced films I have watched in the last year. This story of a seventeen year old young woman coming of age and dealing with the choices that will send her out into the wide world resonates for me particularly as I have now witnessed it first hand with three daughters, most recently with a newly turned 18 year old who is grappling with the same choices as the movie character[albeit not trying to gain admission to Oxford, but college just the same]. The lure of the great outside world is pulling at her just like with Jenny in the movie.

This movie is funny, sad and charming all at once and it stays in your head after you have turned off the DVD player. Sandra Bullock probably rightly deserved her recent Oscar but I cannot help feeling that I just watched the true winning perfomance last night in the job done by Carey Mulligan[it is hard to believe she never did a movie role before]. As I watched her last night, I thought I was watching an intelligent, eager seventeen year old dealing with growing up and being her own person, not an actress. That is how seamless her performance was. Great cast, great script[by Nick Hornby], great story, memorable movie.
Jack of All Parades

Yet another one missed in its first go around in theatres as it never came into our area, "Fantastic Mr. Fox". Completely enchanted with this movie and with its thrilling stop automation. Beautifully designed, colored and voiced by people like George Clooney, Meryl Streep and Bill Murray. Nice usage of music by the Beach Boys and Rolling Stones, as well. The story is fanciful, engaging and a delight even for an adult. Just goes to show you do not need some gussied up computer 3d animation to make a fun film. Sometimes the old ways have a better result like in this movie. Highly recommend spending time watching.
Last edited by Jack of All Parades on Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

My almost-entire family watched The Blind Side together while on vacation, and it got 16 thumbs up. I would give Sandra that oscar just for getting her southern on correctly. Looking for the book now.

Also managed to put my first EC Spectacle disc and GI Joe: Rise of the Cobra into the newspaper recycling before getting to see more than one half of one episode. On the plus side, I did take the papers out in record time.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Saw a documentary called The Art of the Steal. During the '30s, the Mr Barnes started to collect fine painting masterpieces: Renoirs, Cezannes, Matisses , Picassos, Soutines, Modiglianis, Van Goghs, etc. He wanted these masterpieces to be for the 'everyman' so he made his house his museum. He didn't want any museums or government entities to own or lease these pieces. When he died in 1950, his will stated his wish to never sell these pieces to any institution. The documentary exposes how the Philadelphia Museum of Art and political officials manage to break Mr. Barnes' will
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Jack of All Parades

I read about that film-it sounds very interesting. Would love to view it but unfortuately will need to wait for a DVD release as it will never come to a local theatre or metroplex. You make it sound very worthwhile.
Jack of All Parades

Have now watched two exceptional acting performances this year-last night the second one being Jeff Bridges in "Crazy Heart". The movie itself is a ho-hum rehash of previous movie cliches in this genre, most recognized the predecessor "Tender Mercies". What makes it watchable is Bridges. He totally subverts himself to his character, Bad Blake, making him come alive on the screen. At no time did I think I was watching Jeff Bridges acting but instead some channeled variation of Kris Kristoferson or Waylon Jennings. To be so comfortable in portraying the broken physique of a 57 year old fading star is something to witness. The pain that registers on his face as he degenerates is sad and that moment when he finally recognizes he needs to change and makes his phone call is riveting as his face is twisted on the mattress[it reminded me of that album cover for "American Stars and Bars" with Neils face viewed upwards from under the glass table top].

That he can sing was a pleasant surprise. I also enjoyed the unheralded performance put in by Colin Farrell. Two performances, Carrie Mulligan in "An Education" and Bridges here deal with mistakes- one a young woman trying to overcome a bad initial mistake of judgement regaining her promise and a fading middle aged man trying to reclaim his promise after a lifetime of mistakes. Both memorable in their execution and so seamless. {even loved the fact that Bridges' character's real name was 'Otis'}
Jack of All Parades

Had a wonderful time viewing the documentary "Babies" this past weekend in Boston while attending my daughter's graduation and spending the Mother's day holiday with the ladies in my life. A thoughtful attempt to catch the crucial first year in the live's of four babies-African, Japanese, American and Mongolian. Interesting to see how so many traits are there from the start no matter what culture. Also nice to see that the overpampered child growing up in America or Japan is really no different than that child in Africa and Mongolia who has only the family rooster, cat or piece of old bone to play with as a toy. Also nice to see that dirt does not create an unhealthy child- the Namibian child was just as joyful, curious and full of life as the American girl, and just as healthy.
Jack of All Parades

Viewed with tremendous pleasure the movie "The Messenger" last evening. Outside of "The Hurt Locker", it has to be the best film about the Iraq/Afghanistan conflict I have viewed and perhaps the best film I have viewed about military life in general. The movie is an intelligent take on grief, duty, comradeship and love. The screenplay intelligently presents the psycholgical damage and insecurites that haunt soldiers upon their return from the front and active combat duty. When coupled with the back home duty of having to be the first one to notify a family of their recently deceased son or daughter, it becomes a volatile mix for these soldiers.

There are many intelligent perfomances, but three stand out-Ben Foster[who made a superb villan in 3:10 to Yuma], Woody Harrelson and Samantha Morton. There is also a memorable cameo role by Steve Buchemi as an agrieved father of a dead soldier. The scenes between Foster and Morton are palpable as Foster's character is drawn inexorably towards Ms. Morton's character, going beyond the urge to provide comfort and succor. This role has made Mr. Foster somebody to watch in the future for me. He is that good of an actor.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

El secreto de sus ojos (The Secret In Their Eyes)

This film is a good thriller from Argentina. It is beautifully directed, has a good screenplay, and well acted with compex characters. If you like seeing foreign films where you have to read subtitles this is a great film.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

I've just seen a film that combines adventure, action, horror and comedy in a perfect way.
It's got heartwarming story and wonderful characters, it's clever and funny, and within 100 minutes made me laugh, hold my breath in excitement and shed a tear (more than one, to be honest).
The movie's called Toy Story 3 and I don't want to go overboard ... but what the heck : Toy Story could be one of the greatest trilogies in the history of film.
Pixar are geniuses.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

invis - you nailed it. Toy Story 3, wow, was the best movie I have seen in a long time. Best of the Toy Story trilogy, by far. I cried . . .and I laughed. Never has an animated movie done that. Completely unexpected.

Rented a clunker a couple nights ago. "Book of Eli" with Denzel Washington and Gary Oldman. Tom Waits even had a bit part in it. 1 part Road Warrior, 1 part Waterworld, 3 parts LAME, and only 2 minutes of James Marshall's George and Martha, the only redeeming quality but not near enough to rescue the other 2 hours and 9 minutes.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Emotional Toothpaste wrote:invis - you nailed it. Toy Story 3, wow, was the best movie I have seen in a long time. Best of the Toy Story trilogy, by far. I cried . . .and I laughed. Never has an animated movie done that. Completely unexpected.
Agree... a very very good film and easily the best of the three. My kids took a little longer to get into it, but as soon as they saw Totoro had a part in it, they were hooked.

If you want to see an animated film that will draw a flood of tears, rent a copy of Studio Ghibli's "Grave of the Fireflies". If you want an animated film that I think surpasses TS3 (as much as I loved it), get a hold of Hayao Miyazaki's "My Neighbor Totoro"... possibly the greatest childrens' animation ever made (imho) - and don't rent it... just buy it on spec, you won't be disappointed. Oh, and while you are at it, grab a copy of Ponyo (another Miyazaki) which, like Totoro, any child aged from 3 to 93 will love.
Jack of All Parades

I would go even further than the two Miyazaki films you cite and add "Princess Mononoke", "Howl's Moving Castle", "Spirited Away"[my favorite], and "Castle in the Sky". You can do no wrong with any of his films. I often think his 'cartoons' have more visual adventurousness and intriguing character development than many live action films. When my daughter spent some time in Tokyo a few years back with family she really enjoyed the Miyazaki Museum- she still talks about it to this day.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

Christopher Sjoholm wrote:When my daughter spent some time in Tokyo a few years back with family she really enjoyed the Miyazaki Museum- she still talks about it to this day.
Yes, I've been to the Ghibli Museum three times with my sons and we have all loved it... especially the short films they show that Miyazaki has made to be shown only at the museum (never to be generally released - except in illustrated book form). My boys loved playing on the giant Neko Bus while I preferred the full sized Laputa robot :)

Agree that all of the films you mentioned are excellent, but those I selected I consider to be timeless and appealing to a wider cross section - despite the fact that Diana Wynne Jones loved it, I found Howls Moving Castle a bit too far removed from her book (still very good though), Princess Mononoke is a wonderful film with a very worthwhile message, but a bit out of reach of my kids... Spirited Away is superb and we all loved it... but I somehow prefer Totoro, Ponyo, Kiki's Delivery Service etc.
Jack of All Parades

Am in total agreement with you-just wish this artist was more widely recognized for the wonder he has given us. It has been a summer of Kurasawa and Miyazaki in my household.
Otis Westinghouse

I love Miyazaki, though only know Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke. Good recommendations for others to check out here. Thank you. I also thought Toy Story 3 was wonderful and ion fact the last two films have both been animated with Sylvain Chomet's (of the also wonderful Belleville Rendezvous) quite magical The Illusionist/L'Illusioniste last night. Totally fabulous. Amazingly good and involving animation, mainly set in Edinburgh at the end of the 50s. So atmospheric. Very interesting story behind the film - written by French comic legend Jacques Tati but never filmed. Chomet begged Tati's daughter to allow him to make the film and eventually succeeded. The main protagonist is clearly based on Tati. there's no real dialogue in the entire film, just fragments of different languages. Don't miss it, especially at the cinema.