Best of 2012 in CDs for me:

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jack of All Parades

Best of 2012 in CDs for me:

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Sound year if you were a dinasour and had a new release- not so for new people trying to break through to me aurally. A couple of established acts had a return to fine form, as well:
No particular order

1- "Wrecking Ball" Bruce Springsteen. Righteous anger and pointed lyrics aimed at the right sources. Anthemic but not in the E Street band bombacious manner- focused and mostly right to the musical point. "Folk" music with its inherent populism makes a healthy comeback with this record.

2- "Tempest" Bob Dylan. Piss and meanness and an anger that is all consuming. The sound of his voice is weathered by the chewing of nails and the inhalation of all sorts of toxic fumes and it so fits these tunes. He is rumaging in the trunk of the American songbook and still finding ways to mix it up with a healthy dose of his righteousness. He is still a 'kick-ass badass'. Only one dud and that is the last song- his so called tribute to another bad ass.

3-"Old Ideas" Leonard Cohen. A strong contemplation of old love and mortality in this collection of songs- and one, "Darkness", that is a real keeper.

4- "Psychedelic Pill" Neil Young. All over the place musically and the one song this year that contemplates being a living dinasour-"Walk Like a Giant". I regularly crank up the volume and play this one.

5- "Falling Off the Sky" The DB's. Holsapple and Stamey can still write and perform a melodic hook with the best of them. A real surprise for me this year. Witness this:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... MR02y22jpw

6- "The Lion's Roar" First Aid Kit. The only new act to me this year that pricked up my ears. Their harmonies are lovely, pure ear candy.

7-"Mystic Pinball" John Hiatt. A return to the quality that distinguished his work in the mid 80s with this record- just overall quality in the material and its presentation. A ballad- "No Wicked Grin" that has become branded on my musical brain cells- most writers would kill to achieve its beautiful simplicity.

A couple of honorable mentions- "Kin" Rodney Crowell and Mary Karr two writers who know how to use words to their best effect. Loudon Wainwright "Older Than My Old Man Now"- songs that stare down getting old with wit, genuine humor and a wink.

Not the strongest year for new 'new' music in some time.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Jeremy Dylan

Re: Best of 2012 in CDs for me:

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

In no particular order:

1. Buddy & Jim - Buddy Miller and Jim Lauderdale
2. Alabama Shakes - Boys and Girls
3. Locked Down - Dr. John
4. From The Ground Up - John Fullbright
5. Red - Taylor Swift
6. Mystic Pinball - John Hiatt
7. The Sound of the Life of the Mind - Ben Folds Five
8. Born and Raised - John Mayer
9. Wrecking Ball - Bruce Springsteen
10. Carolina Moonrise - Jim Lauderdale
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Stuff I liked this year -

The Walkmen - Heaven
The Black Keys - El Camino
Beach House - Bloom
Nick Lowe - The Old Magic
Norah Jones - Little Broken Hearts
Richard Hawley - Standing at the Sky's Edge

Will add more as I think of them!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Some of my favourites this year (random order):

Jens Lekman - I Know What Love Isn't
Beach House - Bloom
A.C Newman - Shut Down The Streets
Tracey Thorn - Tinsel And Lights
Lambchop - Mr. M
Richard Hawley - Standing At The Sky's Edge
Sinead O'Connor - How About I Be Me (And You Be You)?
The Walkmen - Heaven
Bob Dylan - Tempest
Ian McCulloch - Pro Patria Mori
Madness - Oui Oui Ja Ja Si Si Da Da
Allo Darlin - Europe
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed