The Matrix

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
perfectblue

Post by perfectblue »

Tim(e) wrote:
I am inclined to agree except on the part about Philip K Dick. I am of the opinion that the Matrix borrowed very heavily from the Mamoru Oshii anime "Ghost in the Shell" as well as the Proyas film "Dark City" and the Philip Jose Farmer penned "Riverworld" series.

I think that it is great eye candy and a lot of fun as long as you remember to check in your brain at the door. The Matrix is a film that unashamedly expolits CGI effects, and that is fine by me - I think a lot of people love to hate this purely because it did become so popular.
I too saw the "Ghost in the Shell" similarity, Time(e), though I don't know much about the others. Did you notice that a particular scene in the opening of the first Matrix--where the girl is leaping from roof to roof--was ripped straight from "Ghost"? Action, framing, mood--everything. I've only seen them once each so I might be mistaken, but the shot where Trinity lands with a thud on one knee and fist on one of the rooftops really stuck out.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed the first Matrix! Though if I were surrounded by a bunch of people who think it's a genius, original film, I might start to hate it. Like some of you said, I don't feel compelled to see the third one 'cos I haven't seen the second (just not interested), but... should I? Might as well if someone rents it, right? heh...
let me fall out of the window with confetti in my hair