Gettysburg Address 149 years old today

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jack of All Parades

Gettysburg Address 149 years old today

Post by Jack of All Parades »

"Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

One cannot be a sentient human being and not be moved and invigorated by these complexly simple words. They were uttered 149 years ago to this day and they have always been for me a touchstone of the Democracy I call my home. I am proud to call myself a citizen of my country and am equally proud that when a true leader was needed this country was able to elect Abraham Lincoln as President. I regularly read his prose and draw real lessons from it. Needless to say I am preparing to see Spielberg's "Lincoln". These words are central to that movie.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Otis Westinghouse

Re: Gettysburg Address 149 years old today

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Brilliant stuff, can't wait to see the film. My more recent connection with it has been via a Lambchop, a gorgeous song on the bonus CD of Is A Woman.

There's a great live version here, filmed in a tiny venue with a very lucky audience, and featuring the ravishing guitar work of William Tyler. Unfortunately as is often the case with Wagner, the words are pretty hard to make out, though the title comes across clearly, and its too obscure to be findable on the internet. Wagner talks about the song at 1.00, and then it starts c. 1.30. I like to think Abe would have taped his toe to this particular homage:
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Jack of All Parades

Thank you for sharing that one- have to say the one that really caught my attention was "The Man Who Loved Beer" 'to whom can I speak to today?' indeed. That one tore me up when the oboe came in about two thirds of the way through the song.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Funny you bring it up, Chris; I've been reading the Lincoln-Douglas Debates lately, by sheer coincidence. Interesting, and a bit depressing, to see the Great Emancipator spending so much time on the back foot, and to read him freely using the n-word and explicitly repudiating the equal competence and merit of African Americans even as he defends their civil rights. On another note, it's also interesting to imagine a world where large crowds would assemble to hear two public figures debate complex issues for three hours at a time. These days we get bored with sound bites exceeding six seconds in length, while speechwriters are diligent in keeping the verbiage below a 7th-grade reading level - that's progress.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
Jack of All Parades

You are absolutely right- a subject that too many people have little knowledge about or are totally misinformed. The transcripts of those debates make for some curious reading. I recall the debate from 10/13/1858 where Lincoln is recorded as saying that the "basic differences{one can insert all the usual excuses] which, in my judgement, will probably forever forbid their[the races] living together in the footing of perfect equality."

I think the key in Lincoln's approach to race was his absolute belief in equal rights and protection under the Constitution. That is unequivcably demonstrated in a key scene within the movie on the House floor when Congressman Stephens from PA[played by Tommy Lee Jones] refuses to take the bait of his interlocultors amongst the Democratic party.

I prefer to think this was where Lincoln was headed in his feelings about race when he made one of his last speeches on 4/11/1865 and formally signaled advocacy for franchisement for some based partially upon intellectual capacity and sevice to the country as a soldier. There is a telling moment at the beginning of the film where Lincoln is confronted by a young Negro corporal who asks that he consider this very notion. Lincoln's response[or lack of response] is telling.

You are right. It is hard to imagine such numbers avidly listening to a three hour debate- let alone a series of them. I had a hard enough time getting my daughters to pay any attention this election season. Too many of us are now hard wired for only the minutest of sound bites and cannot process a prolonged and reasoned argument with any real understanding of the issues and positions involved. I am not a politics junkie but I do feel it is a citizen's obligation to stay involved and in touch with the central issues he/she faces locally, regionally, nationally and internationally and to vote accordingly upon them. Sadly many do not. :oops: