top 50 albums

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
DeathWearsABigHat

top 50 albums

Post by DeathWearsABigHat »

Make your top 50 album list here.
Here's mine, the hardest part was deciding which EC album to include.
Please don't slag off my choices too much folks!
"trust the wizards, here we go" http://www.trustthewizards.com
invisible Pole

Re: top 50 albums

Post by invisible Pole »

Great list! Lots of artists and albums I love - Pixies, Manics, Aztec, New Order, Pogues, The Smiths ... too many to mention.
I might give it a go in a couple of days.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Nice to see the wonderful Queen of Denmark in your second tier. Am interested in knowing more about Tindersticks. They played a show in Paris with my beloved Lambchop recently, good night out! I only know a little of them, but can imagine they'd repay some repeated listening.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
DeathWearsABigHat

Post by DeathWearsABigHat »

Tindersticks are just brilliant. I could've picked pretty much any of their albums to go on that list.
I also love Lambchop and the 2 bands have a few similarities. Both bands have vocalists with very low voices that most people either love or hate on the 1st listen. Also both bands are not afraid to play slowly and quietly. I saw Lambchop in Manchester earlier this year and it was amazing but it was one of the quietest gigs I've ever been to.

Spotify playlist of Tindersticks favourites here: http://open.spotify.com/user/chrisqpr/p ... AQbaM78Wzu
"trust the wizards, here we go" http://www.trustthewizards.com
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Good to know someone else here likes Lambchop (Invisible Pole is the only other I've found). I've been more or less obsessing this year. Saw them on the same tour as you, and really enjoyed it, though enjoyed the recent one-off (for UK, not so for France, Germany, Holland) Cadogan Hall show in London more as they mixed up the Mr M songs more with the others, including the first two off OH (Ohio) and I think 3 from Nixon. Yes, amazingly quiet. Great for a tinnitus sufferer.

I've always thought I would get into Tindersticks with some listening, but you're right about the voices. Jack of All Parades, normally impressively open to being influenced by my tastes, resists strongly due to the voice. I feel a bit the same with Tindersticks. I find it a little too mannered. Kurt Wagner for me isn't, though he is very low key with it. I suppose he does the slightly lamblike vibrato thing a bit. Stuart Staples sounds a bit like a cross between Nick Cave, Johnny Cash and Ian Curtis. Not bad for a man from Nottingham. Oh, and also a bit like The National's Matt Berninger. Not that an Americanised voice is a sin, Curtis certainly blended a certain amount of Jim Morrison and maybe Lou Reed to make his singing voice sound utterly unMancunian and its one of my favourite voices ever.

i like their sound and am enjoying Jism right now (so to speak), so a bit more time with Spotify and we'll see. Which is your favourite album?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more