Sandy

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
invisible Pole

Sandy

Post by invisible Pole »

To all members of this board (and everyone else) who live in the path of Sandy - be careful and stay safe.
My thoughts and prayers go out to you.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Jack of All Parades

Re: Sandy

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Thank you for your concern and prayers. They let us out early from work. I am home with my wife and battened down. Flashlights are ready and tea is on along with some good aged Whiskey if needed later. My daughters are buttoned down in their apartments in Astoria, Queens. The rain is coming down hard and the wind is whipping up. Everything is shutting down. Just going to ride this one out. I am really concerned for the storm surge as it enters NYC harbor and begins to spill into lower Manhattan. That could be catastrophic to the city's infrastructure. It is going to be an anxious next 24 to 48 hours. I hope all are safely in their homes and tucked up tight.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Hope you and all in the east have survived it unscathed. Incredible conditions.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Jack of All Parades

Otis- thank you. We came through relatively unscathed- trees down and some loss of power. It could have been a lot worse. My heart goes out to the people in the communities below me. The pictures just now of the water filled subway stations is heart breaking. People in NYC will be suffering for a long time. The sheer number of people without power is staggering. The damage to the infrastructure in NYC is horrible. How will people get around without their mass transit?
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Good to know you weren't badly hit and are on here, but yes, the subway shots are incredible and the cost and complexity of recovering from this is just huge. My heart goes out to all affected.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Hope and pray all are safe, particularly subscribers to this site, thanks to JOAP for keeping us informed , as Otis says, it all looks terrifying and the costs of restoring normality will be astronomical . No news from BA which is a bit concerning, and whilst not wanting to belittle the situation, I am assured that cassettes float quite easily !!seriously just hope you all get through this natural disaster with your families safe and sound
Jack of All Parades

My thoughts are truly with the millions who reside below me in lower NY and up and down the mid- Atlantic states. The pictures and stories of the devastation sicken me. The sheer and complete disruption of lives for these fellow citizens is disheartening. I have two daughters who reside in Queens. They are safe but they now feel trapped without their mass transit. I have numerous friends in lower Manhattan. They are safe but their sense of isolation is palpable. I do not presume to speak for other board members who reside in the affected areas. I only hope they are safe and that their lives will return to some sort of normalcy in the coming months. It was quite disturbing to watch a computer animation program from the NYTimes's website yesterday as it showed through time delay the spread of the power outtages along the East coast. It was sobering. The tenuous public connections that bind millions have been severed. We are going to have to look out for one another in the months to come.