Abbey Road

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Spiritinthesky

Abbey Road

Post by Spiritinthesky »

On 26th Sept 1969, The Beatles released 'Abbey Road' in the UK. The final studio recordings from the group featured two George Harrison songs 'Something' (Harrison's first A-side single), and 'Here Comes The Sun'. In their interviews for The Beatles Anthology, the surviving band members stated that, although none of them ever made the distinction of calling it the "last album", they all felt at the time this would very likely be the final Beatles product and therefore agreed to set aside their differences and "go out on a high note".

Read more at

http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/abbey_road
"I gave up drugs when the doctor told me I had 6 months to live" Keith Richards
Poor Deportee

Re: Abbey Road

Post by Poor Deportee »

It's a terrific album of course. One of my favourite bits, for sentimental reasons, occurs at the end of the Long Medley, when we get The Beatles singing "love ya, love ya' over a drum solo and then a series of guitar solos. Each Beatle thus takes his turn (Ringo once, the others twice each on guitar), over a simple lyrical motif that distils their music to its essence. Intentionally or not, this amounts to a perfect send-off for this most extraordinary of pop bands - alternating spotlights for each beloved individual within the context of the finale of the group. The beautiful coda ('The End') seals the deal, but that piece preceding it has long struck me as remarkably fitting under the circumstances. Either they knew exactly what was happening, or the lucky star that seemed to shine on everything they touched held out just long enough to allow them the grace of a perfect ending.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones