All Along The Watchtower

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
ice nine

All Along The Watchtower

Post by ice nine »

I am in the midst of making a mixed CD for friends comprised of artists doing their versions of AATW. There are hundreds of them! I''ve listened to a number of them and, so far, picked fifteen. I was hoping you guys had your favorite recordings of the song so I could be saved from listening to all of them. I just need six more good versions to complete the disc. Thanks.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Jeremy Dylan

Re: All Along The Watchtower

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Have you got the Neil Young version from Bobfest on there?
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

What a fascinating idea - somebody should approach Sony records with this concept. Seriously, it's kind of a neat project.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Echo this notion- wonderful present you are making for your friends. Here are two to consider if you have not already:

First for its unique approach to the song and its instrumentation this one by Taj Mahal-

http://youtu.be/OzNdg8YMlE0

The second is perhaps a bit too traditional in its approach to the song but I enjoy the 'bottom' heavy bass and organ lines along with Paul Weller's voice-

http://youtu.be/Roo3ZrpRJLM

Anyway, best of luck on your project!
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

My Christmas/Hanukkah mix cd will be an entire cd consisting only of versions of 'All Along The Watchtower". There are hundreds of versions of the song. I attempted to find the versions that were different, but not too radically different, from the original. I also wanted to stay away from the mainsteam groups like Pearl Jam and U2. Here are the artists I may included on this compilation. I know there are some XTC fans on this board and, sadly, their version did not make the cut.

1 Richie Havens 10 Taj Mahal & The Hula Blues
2 Devlin 11 Thea Gilmore
3 Jenn Adams 12 Vitamin String Quarter
4 Michael Hedges 13 Wayne Henderson
5 Bobby Womack 14 Rene Barrow
6 The Persuasions 15 Turtle Island Quartet
7 Brewer & Shipley 16 Lisa Gerrard
8 Hogni Lisberg 17 Rising Lion
9 Michael Angelo Balto
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

I look forward to trying to track many of these choices down. Nice to see that Taj Mahal made the cut.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'