"Do you always wait for the longest day of the year,

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
selfmademug

"Do you always wait for the longest day of the year,

Post by selfmademug »

...and then miss it? I do."

That's a cautionary quote from Daisy Buchanan.

Happy summer!! ('Cept for those of you in the southern hemi, of course-- to you, happy Winter Solstice!)

8)
bambooneedle

Re: "Do you always wait for the longest day of the year

Post by bambooneedle »

selfmademug wrote:('Cept for those of you in the southern hemi, of course-- to you, happy Winter Solstice!)

8)
Thanks Mug. I can't wait till the days get longer and longer. The sun goes down at around 5 here now and it's soooo chilly for Sydney. At least the sun beams into my place at an angle in the afternoon (if I happen to be here), and it gives everything that great orange glow...
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I know I am looking forward to a long day. The the worst part of living in the central time zone is that the days are so short in the winter. God, it seems like it is dark by 4:00 or 4:30 pm most days from November to March. I try to hang on for spring at that point.

But I love these long summer days when the sun seems to never want to set. Now, if it would just stop raining. . . . . :o
idle hands

Re: "Do you always wait for the longest day of the year

Post by idle hands »

selfmademug wrote:
'Cept for those of you in the southern hemi, of course-- to you, happy Winter Solstice!
)
thanks smm, we're having quite a cold and dark day here, and the sun goes out at 6pm ... but IT'S FRIDAY!!!!!! :D :D :D
que no panda el cunico
PlaythingOrPet

Post by PlaythingOrPet »

I remember coming home from school at 3.30pm in the depths of winter and it was already getting dark. We're at that time now where it doesn't start going dark until 10pm. Love it. It's even better when the sun begins to rise at 4am.
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

Once upon a time, there was a "sulkygirl" who lived in the Great State of Alaska (where she met the asshole she currently refers to as her "husband", thank you very much, but that's another story)...

On June 21st of every year, the Sun would go down at 2 a.m., & rise again at 4 a.m.

Thanks GOD for Glad Heavy-Duty 40-Gallon Garbage Bags & Duct Tape!!

8)
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

sulkygirl wrote:Once upon a time, there was a "sulkygirl" who lived in the Great State of Alaska (where she met the asshole she currently refers to as her "husband", thank you very much, but that's another story)...
Sulky, you have one of those too?
I'm not angry anymore....
sulkygirl
Location: The Absolute Armpit of the USA--Yakima, Washington (***cough***)

Post by sulkygirl »

Yeah, REALLY ticked me off last night.

I was fortunate enough to get tickets to see the Joe Jackson Band in Seattle at the Showbox Theater on August 23rd...sp00ky showed me where to find advanced sale tickets, & my dear old Dad not only lent me his Credit Card info so I could buy a pair, but, rather than have me pay him back (in cash), he decided to just "give" them to me as my Birthday Present. Needless to say, this really made my day!!

I spent the day being VERY ecited about this, planning the road trip, etc. I thought he'd be happy for me, you know, that something nice had happened, that we would be taking a short trip together, etc., but having a nice time & all.

I was trying to remember the last time I'd seen ANYONE live, and finally remembered it had been back in the early 80's, in Alaska (NOTE: At this particular point in time, I hadn't even MET my husband).

His response was: "Oh, yeah...I think that was back when you were f****ing anything that walked, wasn't it?"

Grrr....

I mean, it was similar to being punched in the stomach, just took all of the wind RIGHT OUT OF MY SAILS, like he simply couldn't STAND the fact that I had something to be happy & excited about.

We're STILL not speaking.

:x
"Love can be stranger than fiction..."
SweetPear

Post by SweetPear »

Oh Sulky, I so understand!
I've got a good one for ya too.

I never know WHAT to get my husband for Christmas or anything else. He's very hard to buy for. (And I'm a very thoughtful and meticulous person who puts alot of time and effort into my gifts!)
So last Christmas I came upon 8th row center seats at the Tower Theater (and intimate venue in Upper Darby Pennsylvania) to see THE PRETENDERS!!!!
I thought this would blow his mind because he loooves Chrissie Hynde (and so do I!!) We hadn't seen them live since college (the original 4!!)
so I caved and spent the $200 for tix. 8)
Just like you, Girl, I was so excited all day. Kids to their Grams, animals fed.....getting dressed...really psyched.
WELL I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED but a huge fight ensued
(I believe it was about his less than enthusiastic attitude about going to the show.) I was so pissed. My makeup was ruined. He refused to go.
He fucking refused to go. :evil:
And I waited and waited. The time got closer and closer. We could still make it if we left right then.............but we didn't.
Know where those $2oo tix went that night? Into the fireplace. :x
Wow, I was so mad. It was another shovel of dirt in the grave of my marriage. Pretty soon he'll be burying himself right out of this relationship.
I'm not angry anymore....
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

Bump!

Happy longest (or shortest, in the Southern hemisphere) day of the year.

Signed,
The poster formerly know as Mug

PS, Wherefore art thou, Ms.s Sweet Pear and Sulky? And Idle Hands? At least we can hope to hear from POP when Deathly Hallows comes out...?

>sniff<
Last edited by Mechanical Grace on Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Or as I like the think of it, my 39 1/2th birthday, Dec. 21 being the shortest day of the year.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

And let's not forget little Jude's 1st birthday!!
Less Than Zero, you are letting him put his whole face in the birthday cake, right?
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

wow! a 4 year bump. back when i was in my mid-40's!
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Mechanical Grace

Post by Mechanical Grace »

oily slick wrote:wow! a 4 year bump. back when i was in my mid-40's!
And I was in my early 40s... ugh, how depressing. But yeah I thought it would be fun to have a looooong-reaching bump. Dang we've all been around here for a while, no? I think it's been about 5 years since Narbawlz started this nonsense. I hope he is okay, where ever he is.

Four years ago, Jude was just a glimmer in LTZ's eye... Happy birthday, little tyke!

And for the record, I got the quote slightly wrong. What Daisy really says is, "Do you always watch for the longest day of the year and then miss it? I always watch for the longest day of the year and then miss it." She has some great lines; my other favorite is when she's going to meet up with Tom in the City and says, "I'll be the man smoking two cigarettes."
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

I will toast all of you later - we're headed to a Summer Solstice party hosted by Justin's art teacher, who says it's his "favorite pagan holiday." :)
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

Spent the sunlight cleaning my patio...I found a pair of shoes that I haven't worn since I was 12.

Happy Birthday to Jude as well...just wait until he's gonna want to have pool birthday parties...
Why don't you write about it in your blag?
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

Wow, what a year.

You should see his curly hair! He looks like a little art garfunkel, but with much cuter cheeks, button nose, and blueberry eyes.

You guys should see this dance he does. He hops up and down on his knees, and his little pelvic thrusts get him propelling all the way across the room, just hopping on his knees. Jude's favorite songs on his 1st birthday:

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
The Monkey - Elvis version
Power To The People - Black Eyed Peas Version! :cry:
Fruit Salad - The Wiggles :evil:

4 years ago, this board was whatever got me through the night. I'll never forget ya'll.

Blue, I never knew Dylan hogged most of the Wilbury vocals! I wanted more Roy! Do you prefer Dylan's solo work or his work with the Wilburys?

Runaway has to be in my all time top 5. I am whooped, just like at this time last year....I'm definitely not taking these long days for granted Mug... :wink:
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
Jack of All Parades

Re: "Do you always wait for the longest day of the year,

Post by Jack of All Parades »

This approaching yearly marker is most anticpated by me this year- for many reasons- but surely more so for the dearth of those very balmy days that have plagued my part of the world excessively this year- that and a noted low level of Vitamin D-these lines help:

Credences of Summer
[the ending stanzas of the poem]

The personae of summer play the characters
Of an inhuman author, who meditates
With the gold bugs, in blue meadows, late at night.
He does not hear his characters talk. He sees
Them mottled, in the moodiest costumes,

Of blue and yellow, sky and sun, belted
And knotted, sashed and seamed, half pales of red,
Half pales of green, appropriate habit for
The huge decorum, the manner of the time,
Part of the mottled mood of summer's whole,

In which the characters speak because they want
To speak, the fat, the roseate characters,
Free, for a moment, from malice and sudden cry,
Complete in a completed scene, speaking
Their parts as in a youthful happiness.

Wallace Stevens

Happy approaching Summer Solstice to all!
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'