How 'bout them Grammys?

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
mood swung

How 'bout them Grammys?

Post by mood swung »

Well? What did you think?

I *loved* Bruno Mars' performance. Chris Brown, not at all. The pants! Adele made me glad I lasted until 11. Elvis and Diana were spotted! Why did the Foos have to play in the parking lot? Was the Beach Boys thing as bad as I thought? And by that I mean the Maroon 5/Foster the People opening. Brian looked ready to leave when he got up and left. Glen Campbell kicked ass.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
oily slick

Re: How 'bout them Grammys?

Post by oily slick »

bruuuuce was a dandy opening. bruno mars is a talented young feller. downhill after that. a lotta foo. they must have been correcting for pitch backstage for taylor swift. how did blake shelton get famous? glen looks better than brian wilson, although he thought he was playing Branson. nicki minaj made me miss gaga. i like the electric mouseheaded guy, but i don't know what that is. whitney whitney whitney; we should spent more time talking about etta james and don cornelius. course maybe they did cause i do laundry too while the grammys are on.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Bruno Mars was the best part of what little I watched. McCartney looked weird and sounded awful and what a weak song. Katy Perry has nice boobs, but that is all. LL Cool Jay as emcee? Felt ashamed of myself for tuning in.

Whitney who?
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

Now, I liked LL ok. But completely agree re: Sir Paul. I thought, damn, I'm glad I didn't PAY for this!

OS, I think Blake Shelton is famous for that long sloping forehead. And hunting?

I know it's awful, but I was relieved it wasn't all about Whitney. I was stunned to hear of her death and more stunned to learn that she was exactly one month older than me.
oily slick

Post by oily slick »

well, you have to take a bath when its over. i forgot Sir Paul and the mashup at the end. those are reliably horrible and guaranteed to occur. might wanna put some lead guitar players out there to play guitar solos. bruuuuuce's guitar playing rivals his dancing. i wept at the end of Sir Paul's SNL performance last year because of how bad he was. they retuned it for the rerun. he is still kickin' at least. ex Beatle gets to have fun. and they got the camera off of him before he started acting too goofy. i like his new girlfriend's face. and she has all her limbs. Joe Walsh looks pretty damn good; 60some and sober suits him. still love Bonnie Raitt's voice. Foster the People's Wouldn't It Be Nice was cute, but I wanna hurt that Maroon 5 guy, tho not as much as that Coldplay guy.
I'm not concerned about the very poor.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Ahh, forgot about the Coldplay performance. That guy bouncin on his piano stool and singing falsetto makes me wanna urp up.
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

and she has all her limbs.

I am all LMFAO over this.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

The only thing that stood out for me was a sad one as I intermittently watched the program while reading- the moment during the In Memorium section when Bill Morrissey's name and photo flashed on the screen- had not not known of his passing and have since found out he died in a motel room down South back on 7/23/11 while on a small tour. Sad news. Have consistently admired his well honed and lyrically crafted songs.

McCartney's new material was insipid-flat out boring and if that is indicative of the rest of the new album it would seem to be a big waste of money and time.

Enjoyed seeing Adele get her moment of real adulation following her performance.

Glad I only watched intermittently.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
redsfan720

Post by redsfan720 »

Don't disagree with a whole lot said here.

In the Beach Boys tribute, I thought Maroon 5 was quite a bit better than Foster the People. I think Maroon 5 is a better band than their recent singles lead on. They aren't great, but they're very good at what they do, and what they do can sometimes be fairly enjoyable. I'd rather have heard a choir of cats meow and walk across keyboards than what that band, Foster the People, did to Wouldn't It Be Nice.

The Nicki Minaj thing was so weird and it wasn't great at all, and it didn't play to her strengths as an artist ... but it was so weird that I can't help but kind of like it, or at least commend her for doing something that risky on a night where just about every other performer went as safe as possible.

The Glen Campbell tribute was pretty great. I thought both of the acts in that performance (The Band Perry and Blake Shelton) were fine. I haven't listened to either's music extensively, but they seem fine. They seem to be more talented and more genuine than almost anything else Nashville is churning out right now. Zac Brown Band would be the obvious exception to that, but they've also made a point of it to be as distant from the Nashville scene as possible.

Chris Brown is a terrible musician. This criticism is notwithstanding his status as one of Society At Large's scumbaggiest well-known people.

The Etta James tribute was nice. I'm glad they didn't sing At Last. Alicia Keys sang consistently flat. Bonnie Raitt's verse of Sunday Kind of Love was one of my favorite moments from all of the Grammycast.
redsfan720

Post by redsfan720 »

Christopher Sjoholm wrote: McCartney's new material was insipid-flat out boring and if that is indicative of the rest of the new album it would seem to be a big waste of money and time.
I checked out the tracklist and it appears that the song he sang was one of only a few original tunes on the album. The rest are Tin Pan Alley (or, at least, Tin Pan Alley-era) tunes that he remembers from his childhood. I haven't heard it so I can't speak to the arrangements or the performances, but there's at least a little bit of background. I'd like to hear it. He picked a few of my favorite tunes from that era. "My Very Good Friend the Milkman" is a gem that I've seen recorded very little. One of my very favorite recordings that I own is of Fats Waller singing that tune.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Well I hope that is the case. Sat with my wife in the living room last Sunday night and we were both just cringing during that performance. If that is the song you want to feature on a national television broadcast to introduce the record I then shake my head. The tune was muddied, the voice shaky and the lyrics banal. I get it that his wife was sitting in the audience and the 14th was coming but it surely would have been better for the confines of his own home, where he could entertain her to his heart's content.

I am familiar with the song you mention and that version. I just hope it and the remaining songs on the record have a different approach than the one exhibited Sunday night for "My Valentine". One has to label that song and version boring and underwhelming. I know he has a history in his back catalog of doing those psuedo old time type tunes. Unfortunately, they have never been a part of his song catalog that has kept my attention over the years- they have always been too precious for my ears. It is McCartney at his most treacly and I always tend to try to avoid it. Will be interested in reading your opinion of the material. I am not rushing out to buy this one. Prefer to save my money and put it towards a good ballgame later in the season as pitchers and catchers begin to report to camps in less than a week's time.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
redsfan720

Post by redsfan720 »

Christopher Sjoholm wrote:Prefer to save my money and put it towards a good ballgame later in the season as pitchers and catchers begin to report to camps in less than a week's time.
I'm with you on that. I'm hoping to put together enough to make a road trip to Houston this summer to see the Reds play in that pretty ballpark before the Astros head for the American League. I'm not optimistic it'll happen, but hey. A boy can dream.

I just so happened to talk to my sister earlier, and she told me she sprung for the McCartney album. She told me she'd let me rip it to my computer next time I see her. I can hear it, and I don't have to pay for it. This is good.