Christopher's Top 20 some favorites

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jack of All Parades

Christopher's Top 20 some favorites

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Have enjoyed looking at back pages on this section of the site and marvel at many of the 'voices' that once regularly participated here[ the posts by El Vez for example are exemplary in their humor with some thought behind it]. Sad the way they have gone silent. Anyway came upon a series of threads that featured choices by posters of their favorites from over the years. Thought I would have a go at mine- only wish I could add the album art that so many provided with their choices. There is no particular order here- just the ones I would want on my desert island or would grab if I could as I ran out of my burning home[once the humans and pets are saved]:

1 "John Wesley Harding"- Bob Dylan- this was country music from the Catskills before it became popular. Knotty, hard kernels of truth told as singable parables.

2 "London Calling"- The Clash- I constantly marvel at how this band made such varied sounds out of anger and frustration and, let's admit it, talent.

3 "In Spite of Ourselves"- John Prine- is there a better duet album? I do not think so. It is also very funny in an honest way.

4 "Trust"- Elvis Costello and The Attractions- the best for me by a contemporary songwriter and his powerful backing band. It is an album of 'pop' magic and some tight playing by a band at its peak. On some days I am willing to substitute "Imperial Bedroom"- I play both with regularity.

5 "Rubber Soul"- The Beatles- this is the blueprint album for any aspiring songwriter. The best writing team of the last 50 years at their peak and finding out how to play around in the studio.

6 "GP"/"Grievous Angel"- Gram Parsons- there is not a day that I do not play this man's music. Soulful, mischievous and steeped in real characters, this music has recharged me consistently since the early 70's.

7 "The Gilded Palace of Sin"- The Flying Burrito Brothers- this is country music for me- at least the way I envision it- not big hats and schmaltz and glitter.

8 "The Velvet Underground"- The Velvet Underground- I love NYC and this album is NYC for me.

9 "The Well Tempered Clavier"- Bach- Glenn Gould- this is my mental workout music. It is the piano piece I constantly ask my wife to play for me on our piano.

10 "Relaxin'"- The Miles Davis Quintet- the first great one and still the model for me of a small group ensemble. Miles's mute work is stellar and the crispness and fluidity of their interplay is breathtaking. These are standards that one never tires of hearing.

11 "Tenor Madness" - Sonny Rollins- bring on Miles's rhythm section and you have a memorable encounter complete with a guest appearance from a rising youngster- John Coltrane.

12 "The Gershwin Songbook"- Ella Fitzgerald- a model of interpretation and a spellbinding presentation of this goldmine of songs.

13 "Body & Soul"- Al Cohn and Zoot Sims- pure and joyful tenor playing by a tandem who could swing. My favorite fun jazz record and not because it is my father in law playing. They just had the knack of finding the fun and soul in a tune.

14 "The Nocturnes"- Chopin- Arthur Rubinstein- when I am tired or feel the world weighing down on me this is the music I turn to with regularity.

15 "The Band"- The Band- this is my roots album and the one that consistently still sounds fresh and vibrant when I listen to it which I do with regularity.

16 "The Name of the Band is the Talking Heads"- Talking Heads- my favorite live album and its two concerts catch this band at their best- the rhythms and sounds are intoxicating.

17 "Pet Sounds"- The Beach Boys- this is how I picture angels singing and recording.

18 "The Piano Sonatas"- Mozart- Mitsuku Uchida- this is musical Valium for me- it always makes me stop, calm down and listen.

19 "The Queen is Dead"- The Smiths- this is music that never keeps my toes from tapping and that jingle/jangle guitar sound with the gnomic lyrics never fails to satisfy my soul.

20 "Rain Dogs"- Tom Waits- bulletins from a great storyteller who also found his musical voice on this record.

21 "The Hot Fives and Hot Sevens"- Louis Armstrong- the 'ur' text for all jazz and blues that followed.

22 "The Suburbs"- The Arcade Fire- the only contemporary album that I know with certainty I will still be playing years from now- I am still playing it now and never tire of its pleasures.

23 "Hearts and Bones"- Paul Simon- I suppose there are other records by him that are stronger but this one just resonates with me- always has since 1983- maybe it is being one and one half wandering Jews in this world.

24 "Something Else"- The Kinks- perhaps my favorite piece of pop confection- a songwriter who never gets his proper due in my opinion at his peak.

25 "Piano Works"- Art Tatum- a master who could do anything on the keyboard and still consume mass quantities of beer at the same time. This is joyful music made by a very sad man.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
wardo68

Re: Christopher's Top 20 some favorites

Post by wardo68 »

Great list Chris -- hope you'll dig thru the blog below and find some kindreds. (If you haven't already.)
migdd

Post by migdd »

like :)
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I'm glad you liked the Ask El Vez thread Christopher.

If there's anyone new reading this, please seek it out.

Good choices Christopher - I must dig out John Wesley Harding again.

Such a list would be difficult for me to write as my mind would constantly change.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?