Dexy's are Back. Hooray!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
DrJ

Dexy's are Back. Hooray!

Post by DrJ »

http://www.nme.com/news/105345.htm

Reunion tour and new tracks on a Greatest Hits...

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Wicked Dr J! I love their music - downloaded some from KaZAa but my partner hates them so I tend to put it on when ive got the hump with him! :twisted:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Gillibeanz

Post by Gillibeanz »

Ha! Tonight we were working late in the office and I wanted my other half to go downstairs and kindly make me a cup of coffee (not unreasonable since I had given him the usual tea and toast in bed) and he wouldnt. So I put on 'come on Eileen' and threatened to put it on again if he didnt comply. By the third play he had had enough. The coffee was lovely!!! :twisted:
COME ON YOU SPURS!!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Good technique!

Poor Kev. Did anyone see the almost heartbreaking doc a couple of years ago where he rued the arrogance and stupidity of his early days? Along the lines of 'We made some great music, but at what a price', and then this powerful song I didn't know over the closing credits from Don't Stand Me Down, all address to a 'Young man' (nothing to do with the Village People or Harry Enfield).

I hope he's not in the dress and suspenders this time.

It's funny, I was standing outside the Birmingham Hippodrome the other night (trying to escape the clutches of a homicidal maniac) for the first time since September 1982, when, freshly arrived as a student in town and after a summer of listening to Too Rye Ay and wanting to believe in my soul, I saw Dexy's on 'The Gypsies in Dugarees' tour. It had its absurd moments (Kev doing press ups to show his commitment), but also had it's moments of greatness - lights going down, a low bllue light on the stage, and the band kicking off with Old.

Along with PTC and, to a lesser extent, Lloyd Cole's Easy Pieces, Too Rye Ay was an LP where the production did a disservice to the quality of the songs. Langer and Winstanley just didn't believe in subtlety. I guess it fitted the 80s world, but now it just sounds like they should have stuck to Madness. Kevin was always a curious mixture of genuine article and total wanker, but he was certainly talented.
DrJ

Post by DrJ »

I can't imagine a world without "Don't Stand Me Down". It floored me when I first heard it (in 2000).

DrJ
Tlentifini Maarhaysu
Otis Westinghouse

Never heard it. I think it was re-released recently. If I like that 'young man' song (had it in my head for weeks after that doc), will I like the rest of the LP? I just remember What's She Like? being a bit weak and that the 'new clothing direction' thing was just getting silly.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

But, how can you stand an albums worth of that awful singing? I can only ever listen to a couple of songs then I have to switch it off - which is a shame 'cos otherwise the music is tremendous!
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
Otis Westinghouse

mannered and a little exaggerated, I grant you, but a great and distinctive voice, nonetheless. Just great at conveying intense emotion. That's a gift.
LessThanZero

Post by LessThanZero »

"FILTHY ENGLANDERS!"
--John Lennon
"What filfthy ways are these?"
--Paul McCartney

Dexy's have more than 1 song???
Loving this board since before When I Was Cruel.
Tim(e)

Post by Tim(e) »

I hope they tend to be more "Geno" than "Come on Eileen"...

"In Search of the Young Soul Rebels" still rates as one of my all time favourite albums.