My Little Town

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jack of All Parades

My Little Town

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Nice little piece in today's Times featuring my little town- who would have thought that I now live in No-Bro! There goes the neighborhood and our great little 'secret' place:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/07/nyreg ... f=nyregion
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Who Shot Sam?

Re: My Little Town

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Interesting. This has been coming for a while. When I lived in Poughkeepsie it was just starting to turn around. Still, you wouldn't want to go for a walk downtown after dark. Now they have several restaurants and nightclubs along Main St. (formerly crack town). Our town (Pawling) is still fairly undiscovered, but it's only a matter of time and they are making moves to attract more business and tourists, including a major renovation of the village green, which used to be just a weedy stretch of hillside. Our neighbor next door - a wine merchant - moved up a few years ago from Brooklyn. The place is changing, becoming gradually lss conservative and more progressive.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
Jack of All Parades

I will vouch for that- the whole area is morphing around us. As you note Poughkeepsie is changing as we speak but it does have a way to go. Beacon is hot and getting hotter. I can vouch for your neck of the woods as I am working in Pawling today filling in it at one our local branch offices and bought my coffee and scone this morning at the little bakery just off of the green. Good coffee and an even better scone and you have to love the old fixtures in the bakery complete with the ancient cash register on the counter. That whole Wassaic corridor is ripe for development and rebirth. My family has long roots in the Amenia/Sharon area going back to the early 1700s but I love my little neck of the woods in the Hudson Valley tucked into the foothills of the Highlands.\- hell we even have a Single A minor league team and stadium even if it is the Ray's farm club and not Boston's.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Christopher Sjoholm wrote:I will vouch for that- the whole area is morphing around us. As you note Poughkeepsie is changing as we speak but it does have a way to go. Beacon is hot and getting hotter. I can vouch for your neck of the woods as I am working in Pawling today filling in it at one our local branch offices and bought my coffee and scone this morning at the little bakery just off of the green. Good coffee and an even better scone and you have to love the old fixtures in the bakery complete with the ancient cash register on the counter. That whole Wassaic corridor is ripe for development and rebirth. My family has long roots in the Amenia/Sharon area going back to the early 1700s but I love my little neck of the woods in the Hudson Valley tucked into the foothills of the Highlands.\- hell we even have a Single A minor league team and stadium even if it is the Ray's farm club and not Boston's.
Damn, wish I'd known. I live right around the corner from the bakery you are talking about. If you're ever out this way again let me know!

I've been to a few games at Dutchess Stadium, though not recently. We did see Wilco there a few years back.
Jack of All Parades

Would be happy to say hello- will be back in your town Thursday and Friday filling in at the branch. Will be stopping for coffee and a scone each morning. Come down to the Branch over by the Mizzentop School- Rose & Kiernan, in the Daniels Porco building off of 22, formally The Daniels Agency. Welcome the chance to meet a fellow board member-also saw that great show with Wilco along with Bright Eyes who could pass up such a show especially when one could literally walk to the show.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Christopher Sjoholm wrote:Would be happy to say hello- will be back in your town Thursday and Friday filling in at the branch. Will be stopping for coffee and a scone each morning. Come down to the Branch over by the Mizzentop School- Rose & Kiernan, in the Daniels Porco building off of 22, formally The Daniels Agency. Welcome the chance to meet a fellow board member-also saw that great show with Wilco along with Bright Eyes who could pass up such a show especially when one could literally walk to the show.
I will do!
Jack of All Parades

Sorry I never got to say hello. Maybe another time.
Jack of All Parades

It was nice to meet you-put a face to a name. I will take you up on the future get together offer should I be back in your lovely town.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

An intriguing narrative- a three hour gap in which an expected meeting didn't happen, but then somehow happened later on. Just thought I'd intrude...
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Jack of All Parades

No intrusion- as I was pulling out of the parking lot on Friday afternoon at 3pm. as my firm practices summer hours and our work day ends at 3 on Fridays, WSS, unknown to me, was driving into the parking lot. He asked if I was who he thought I was, I acknowledged and we had a pleasant conversation. As I said earlier, nice to put a face to an avatar. Had not thought we would get together prior to the end of the workday. It is a small world when you reside in the same county.
Otis Westinghouse

Glad we got that clear! Good to know you met.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Christopher Sjoholm wrote:It was nice to meet you-put a face to a name. I will take you up on the future get together offer should I be back in your lovely town.
Sounds good. Nice chatting with you!
Jack of All Parades

Quite a nice piece on a former, and hopefully future attraction, in my little town from yesterday's Weekend section of the Times. I am fortunate as I can sit on my front porch in a rocker and see this site. As a kid I remember taking rides up the mountainside when family friends came to visit. And for many years could ski jump and downhill down that mountain. It does make for a good hike should anyone come out this way.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/09/nyreg ... way&st=cse
Jack of All Parades

A nice article with some great pictures about my hometown in Chronogram- a hip arts magazine here in the Hudson Valley. It catches what is happening all around my town as it is coming alive:

http://www.chronogram.com/hudsonvalley/ ... id=2161105
Jack of All Parades

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8am3D83 ... r_embedded

A video which features my beautiful little neck of the woods. I live at the base of that mountain and can attest that on a clear day one can see clear down river to the skyline of Manhattan as shown in the video.

This project to bring back the incline railway has put a big smile upon my face.
Otis Westinghouse

Nice one! Looks like a lovely area.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Jack of All Parades wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8am3D83 ... r_embedded

A video which features my beautiful little neck of the woods. I live at the base of that mountain and can attest that on a clear day one can see clear down river to the skyline of Manhattan as shown in the video.

This project to bring back the incline railway has put a big smile upon my face.
That would be very nice indeed. Beacon is lovely. Looks like you've stolen The Towne Crier from our side of the county as well.
Jack of All Parades

Yes we have :wink: - they have done a nice renovation of the old DMV facility. We are most fortunate. Scheduled to open on 10/6 coming next month are Rickie Lee Jone, Peter Wolf and Sonny Landreth for starters. Should EC pay a visit to this site from time to time it would make for an intimate night if he were to drop down following his evening at UPAC in Kingston, just up the river, and it would be literally in my backyard. I personally extend the invitation if he wants to tune up the vocal chords. :wink: