Sherlock

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
ice nine

Sherlock

Post by ice nine »

Did anyone else see the new PBS series about Sherlock Holmes starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman? It is a nice present-day twist on their symbiotic relationship and the crimes they investigate.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/she ... batch.html
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
verbal gymnastics

Re: Sherlock

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I saw it when it was on in the UK.

I really enjoyed it. I thought both actors blended well and am looking forward to the next series.

Naturally the purists were up in arms but so what?

And isn't Benedict Cumberbatch a fabulous name?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

verbal gymnastics wrote:And isn't Benedict Cumberbatch a fabulous name?
Steve Moffatt is quoted as saying this is the first time Sherlock Holmes has been played by anyone with a sillier name.

I pretty much adored the first and third episodes. The second was a little more formulaic, but still fine. Cumberbatch and especially Freeman just nail Doyle's characters. This is probably the most faithful Holmes adaptation ever seen, outside of the recent Radio 4 adaptations.

I was a little disconcerted when I watched the first episode and found out that the conceit I'd written into my Holmes and Watson as 21st Century Oxbridge students radio script about Watson blogging accounts of their cases obviously wasn't as original as I'd thought.

Another Holmes adaptation that incorporates contemporary elements: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOj-Is2y ... r_embedded
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

So this is quite late to the party, but I've just finally seen the 1st series, and it's brilliant. And yes, Benedict Cumberbatch is my new standard in "stereotypically obvious British names". It would only be better if he was 2nd Earl of Chichester.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
verbal gymnastics

The second series has just finished in the UK and was fabulous.

This isn't a spoiler but the way the second series opened (following on from the end of the first series) was brilliant!

Wonderfully written, great lines, great humour. I'm missing it already. And it's a programme that Mrs VG loved as well so it's something we make sure we watch together.
ReadyToHearTheWorst

Post by ReadyToHearTheWorst »

Sherlock: "Having eliminated the impossible whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"
Watson: "What does that mean?"

:D

They have such fun with the original text. A joy to behold.
"I'm the Rock and Roll Scrabble champion"
verbal gymnastics

The first episode of the second series has some incredibly funny moments from Dr Watson.

I would say that was my favourite episode from the first two series.
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Last night's opener was great. More humour then the other seasons. I was not too concerned with the how of Sherlock's supposed death. You know other people had to be involved in the cover-up and that there was trickery.

Benedict is a good actor. He was outstanding in Osage County and 12 Yrs A Slave. I would not be surprised to see him in the Bond role.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
verbal gymnastics

If you think the first episode was good wait until you've seen the second...
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

It was a fantastic season. I am looking forward to seeing Moriarity's character come back. The actor who plays him is very exciting to watch.

I downloaded a reading of Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything by Joshua Foer. A large part of the book is about how to construct a mind palace.
- M. Twain