The wonder of the game!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jack of All Parades

Re: The wonder of the game!

Post by Jack of All Parades »

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/29/sport ... ref=sports

Pure perfection, simple/humble class and pride of workmanship. We have been so fortunate to see his entire career play out. And to go out still on top and with your last four batters retired to see one's ERA drop to the lowest ever recorded by a pitcher for a career. Quite a capstone.

And to have one's long time teammate go out in this manner- equally impressive. I watched it last night and my heart was in my throat during the ninth inning:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/29/sport ... ref=sports
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Jack of All Parades

Simply cannot get enough of this one- thank you Big Papi!:

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=31 ... d=11493214
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Go CARDINALS!

Getting swept in 2006 by the Bosox is still tol fresh on my mind. Looking forward to some payback starting tonight.
Jack of All Parades

Just a friendly nudge but that pain was inflicted in 2004- now I think it will be more like RedSox in five!!!!
Emotional Toothpaste

2004, my bad.

Cards win tonight, lose tomorrow, and then take all 3 here in St. Louis. Cards in 5.
Jack of All Parades

Well- shades of 'Cowboy-up' in '04: Hope you are not right :wink:

http://oak.ctx.ly/r/fh0q
Emotional Toothpaste

Jack of All Parades wrote:Well- shades of 'Cowboy-up' in '04: Hope you are not right :wink:

http://oak.ctx.ly/r/fh0q
That video was hard to watch. These Beards came here to play??? painful
Jack of All Parades

Well then this one will be even harder to view- Good game Big Papi and the rest of the men as well. David should have had a grand slam earlier in the game-just missed it:

http://oak.ctx.ly/r/fj1a

On to game two tonight and hopefully another Sox victory.
Emotional Toothpaste

Jack of All Parades wrote:Well then this one will be even harder to view- Good game Big Papi and the rest of the men as well. David should have had a grand slam earlier in the game-just missed it:

http://oak.ctx.ly/r/fj1a

On to game two tonight and hopefully another Sox victory.
Yeah, the game was out of hand at that point anyway, but Papi's homer made me reach for the off button and head for bed.

Cards looked like a high school team last night. Not sure what was the worst: Kozma's 2 errors, or Wainwright and Yadi's error letting the ball drop between them, or Freese hitting into DP with bases loaded. Beltran's spectacular catch we even paid dearly for with his injury.
Jack of All Parades

Agreed- had not Beltran snagged that ball back from over the fence- it would have been a dagger into your team. The mix up between Molina and Wainwright was comical- I cannot get Wainwright's facial expression out of my head. When the ball thudded between them I could not believe I was watching two star major league players- that is how bad that play looked. Better luck in game 2.
Jack of All Parades

Well game two to you and a nicely executed double steal in the 7th against a catcher who is pitiful at throwing out runners- unlike your all-star. The real problem in that inning was the pitcher's throw. As Tim McCarver pointed out, rarely does something good happen when a pitcher is asked to throw the ball anyplace else on the field other than the mound.

On to Game 3 and hopefully a return to winning form. Not bad though, last night's loss was the first since Game 7 of the series against the Mets back in 1986. I will take that any day. :wink:
Emotional Toothpaste

That was an exciting game for sure. Big Papi is killing us.
Jack of All Parades

Yet another tight and fun game except for the outcome for me. I have thought about that 9th inning call and do think it was questionable but just the same the Cardinals got the bat on the ball against our vaunted reliever. A better throw by Saltamachia might have made the difference. Will need to win tonight. When that happens there should be a game 7 in Boston.
Emotional Toothpaste

Wow these have been some really tight games, decided by errors or strange things like the obstruction call on Saturday night.

Cards must win tonight or its curtains.

And enough already with these amish beards and greasy hair . . . . giving me nightmares. Tis the season I suppose.
Jack of All Parades

It has been fun so far. Now I fully comprehend that event around 3rd base two nights ago. Adams must have gotten tangled in that beard of Middlebrooks and then slipped on the grease. :wink:
Emotional Toothpaste

Well, F!
Gonna be hard to win 2 in a row in beantown. Tonights game was pivotal and proved that Big Papi cannot be stopped. Great pitching by Lester.
Jack of All Parades

Lestor was strong as he has been all season long. Big Papi is the real Mr. October. Agree that the series should now go to the Sox but strange things can happen. I just like the chances now with two games to play to win one. Hope this is accomplished on Wednesday. It will make Thanksgiving this year in Brookline all the more enjoyable as I take my walk up around Fenway pre and after the feast.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

:D
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Jack of All Parades

:D :D :D -triple that enjoyment- one for each of the championships won since the turn of the recent century. Thanksgiving is going to be most special this year!
Emotional Toothpaste

Gotta give the Red Sox credit. The better team won. Cards just couldn't come up with timely hitting -- stranded too many runners and didn't play with as much passion as the Sox.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Nice article by the esteemed Dan Shaughnessy

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/ ... story.html
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Congrats to Boston. As much as I'd like to see their hockey team run over repeatedly by a fleet of Zamobnis, it's hard to hate the Red Sox IMHO. No World Series at home since 1918 - I think they're due! :shock:
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
Jack of All Parades

Boy With A Problem wrote:Nice article by the esteemed Dan Shaughnessy

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/ ... story.html
Dan is a 'grumpus' :wink: Let's see his take next spring training.
Jack of All Parades

Note with Tiger pride the naming of Miguel Cabrerra as a repeat MVP in the American league for 2013. He is the first in that league since Frank Thomas did it with the White Sox back in 1993 and 1994. Deserving. Of equal, if not more note, happy that Andrew McCutchen's season for the Pirates earned him the MVP for the National league this year. He grew up rooting for Ken Griffey, Jr. and has done well to emulate his hero. He also helped greatly to get the Pirates into the post season after a long absence. 8)
Jack of All Parades

Could not be happier at the news just now that Greg Maddox is Cooperstown bound along with his former teammate, Tom Glavine. Maddox was the best 'pitcher' I ever saw in my lifetime. There was not a thing he couldn't do with a baseball when he was on and he could outsmart any hitter. He was also the preeminent defensive player at his position for his generation. Just shows you do not need to throw 95 mph to be effective. And the "Big Hurt" goes into the Hall with them. :D