The wonder of the game!

This is for all non-EC or peripheral-EC topics. We all know how much we love talking about 'The Man' but sometimes we have other interests.
Jack of All Parades

Re: The wonder of the game!

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Every year a hero of my youth disappears. Though that has not happened at this time for Harmon Killebrew, the announcement yesterday that he was entering Hospice care as he has given up active medical treatment for his esophagus cancer was a blow. As I actively played baseball in the 60's in Little League and Babe Ruth and High School, he was a particular hero for his awesome home run power and for his grace on and off the field. I only wish him well in his remaining days on this earth. He was such fun to watch when I could catch a Twins game on the game of the week. Still second behind Babe Ruth with his 8 straight seasons of forty home runs or more. And he did it in an era of strong pitching, big stadiums and no steroids.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Jack of All Parades

News today that Mr. Killebrew has died, just shortly after the news that he had entered Hospice care. I hope he is at peace and that his end was as smooth as that 'sweet' but powerful swing of his.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Jack of All Parades

In retrospect should not be surprised. Jeter's past flare for the dramatic on the big stage is a given. That his 3000th hit was a home run now seems inevitable. That he went 5 for 5, almost hitting for the cycle, and drove in the winning run with his final hit is simply heroic. I doff my cap. Now I want to see Wakefield get his 200th win. That would be a milestone. And who has the most hits off of him in his career?- Jeter!
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

Went to a Pirates baseball game. It was a pitcher's battle. Pirates only had four hits and they still won 1-0. If there is any justice Clint Hurdle should be Manager of the Year. He has turned the team around from the disasterous season last year.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Jack of All Parades

Those are very nice words to my ears-"Went to a Pirates baseball game"- equally nice to see them in or sharing a hold of first place in the Central division. And not a bad stadium to see a game in these days. I have two nephews who live in and near Pittsburgh and they have gone several times to games. When combined with a resurgence in Cleveland I look forward to a post season that might contain more than the usual suspects or the best team that money can buy. Echo your sentiments for Hurdle-always thought he got a raw deal in Colorado towards the end.
Jack of All Parades

Welcome to the 600 + Club Jim Thome! It is nice to see someone of late due it through just hard work, skill and a productively long career. Hope he decides to play a few more years- would love to have his kind of workman style play around for awhile longer.
Jack of All Parades

A beautifully written piece from this past Sunday's Times regarding the 70th anniversary of what I feel is one of sport's truest and least tainted personal achievements: Ted Williams's memorable 1941 season.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/18/sport ... ams&st=cse
Jack of All Parades

Still reeling from last night's season ending games. This is why Baseball beats any other game for me. Two of the worst collapses in a late season in my memory and to see my Sox go to the last strike with two outs in the ninth only to lose the game and to be eliminated is something I will carry with me for a long time. Braves out, Cardinals in and the Rays the wild card in the AL- who would have thought! I raise my cap to Longoria- when he played here in my home time in single A for the Rays minor league team- The HV Renegades- you knew he was a gamer if you were fortunate to see him play. He was not here that long; that is how good he was and is. He is a 'player'. Two home runs in the late innings and both responsible for extending your team's season. Congratulations to him and his teammates. I will be rooting for them now.
Jack of All Parades

Shame to see Terry Francona be the first to fall on the sword for the Red Sox collapse. Have to believe he wants out and has eyes on a Chicago position. Would be a wonderful thing if he could finally assist in bringing a World Series pennant to the Cubs having done the same in Boston after their long drought! Many certainly tried.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

How is it that I didn't realize you were a Red Sox fan until now? Or did I know at one time but forgot? It's possible. I should think I'd be better at recognizing my brothers.

Anyway, yeah. Terry Francona was there for eight amazing seasons and two World Series championships. I can't imagine who the hell else can manage this team.
Jack of All Parades

I thought we were all recognizable from the perpetual tone of skepticism in our voices-that feeling that something bad is just around the corner. With two daughters who thrived in Boston and family living within walking distance of Fenway in Brookline and the bodies of many relatives buried in graveyards throughout Massachusetts going back to 1620, I cannot help but be one. Two championships in the last decade and I am ready to start a new one with renewed pessimism. Yes, I am a Sox fan and proud to be a member of the club along with you.
Jack of All Parades

Watching Roy Halliday paint the plate with his four distinct pitches, controlling placement and speed, was a marvel the other night. To give up a first inning three run dinger and then proceed to set down 21 straight batters and, in the process equal a post season record going back to Grover Clevland Alexander back in the '20s, is a thing of pure beauty. I could watch him pitch any night. He is an artist and perhaps the best pure pitcher I have seen since Greg Maddox. I only wish he pitched for the Sox. But so do a lot of other teams!
Jack of All Parades

I love that the great majority of the series have been pushed to a fifth, and deciding, game. Will make for some fun viewing I hope tonight and tommorrow as this set of the playoffs comes to an end. Unfortunately cannot root for the Rays!
Jack of All Parades

That was fun last night- two deciding fifth games going to extra innings in one and the other producing a pitching duel for the ages. Roy Halliday has to be devastated today. To throw a six hitter, give up only one run, and go eight innings only to lose. My hat is off to Chris Carpenter and St Louis. A three hitter to boot against that Phillie lineup. It was so much fun to watch those two match each other. Now I will be rooting for the Tigers to take it all.
Jack of All Parades

A perceptive piece in today's Sunday Times Sport's section about an intriguing enigma[and one of George's cruel whipping boys]:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/09/sport ... ref=sports
Jack of All Parades

Auspicious start to the Series- national league baseball indeed. No Tigers to root for but will pull for the Cardinals. Cannot help but look forward to the chance to observe the incomparable Albert Pujols on the big stage- hope it goes seven games so I can savor his skills.
Jack of All Parades

Only a matter of time before the game's best demonstrate why. Last night was such a moment for Mr. Pujols. Now he joins Ruth and Jackson and one or two more. Five for Five with 3 home runs and six runs driven in for the evening-it was fun to watch and one to savor for a long, long time.
Jack of All Parades

You had to know it was going to turn out this way- back and forth two out, two strikes big hits and nothing bigger than Dan Freeze's triple in the ninth and then game over home run in the eleventh. I am in heaven and eagerly anticipate tonight's game 7- Go Redbirds!!!!
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I think that was the most amazing baseball game I ever watched in which I had no rooting interest for either team. Absolutely thrilling. Really looking forward tonight - and I still don't care who wins (maybe a very slight tilt to the Cards and fellow NH native Chris Carpenter)....I'd love to see pitcher's duel.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

I was driving back home to St. Louis on my way back from Chicago last night. Drove right by the stadium about 9:30 pm -- Hwy 40 is pressed right up against it -- and I rolled down all the windows on the car so I could hear the crowd and smell the dogs and popcorn and to take this blurry photo. Then when I got to the house-- to watch the 7th inning thru the rest of the game with my wife and son --- wow, what a roller-coaster. I'm a diehard Cards fan, but I was just thankful to see such great entertainment those final innings regardless of the outcome. Of course we were thrilled with the end result, especially with our hometown boy Freese having grown up only a couple miles from my house -- so we ran outside and did a couple laps around the cul-de-sac after Freese hit his blast. Most exciting game I've ever watched. Bring on game 7!!!!
Busch stadium game 6 drive-by
Busch stadium game 6 drive-by
photo.JPG (118.09 KiB) Viewed 29791 times
Jack of All Parades

Heartily agree- two separate times down two runs only to come back and then to win with a walk-off in the 11th- scintillating! Only thing to match it my memory is the Game 6 twenty five years ago when the Amazin's won on the infamous error[it still hurts] or the earlier championship series with the Astros that year and its thrilling Game 6 as well. One to cherish last night.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

And not only that -- two times they were down to their final STRIKE to end the game and the WS. Gonna remember this one for a long time to come.
Jack of All Parades

After that roller coaster classic of a Game 6 you just had to know it would end this way with an Eleventh World Series title going to the Cardinals. Most except for the Yankees. Great franchise, great baseball town, a storied history- most happy for them.
Jack of All Parades

Good for Justin Verlander- first starter in 25 years to win both the MVP and the Cy Young in the same season and the third Tiger pitcher to do it. Consistent to the nth degree this past season and a winner 16 times after a Tiger loss. Too bad the weather conspired in the post season to keep him out of games-might have been different for the Tigers.
Jack of All Parades

Ryan Braun and steroids- who would have thought? Just goes to show how easy we can fall from high perches. Hope it turns out to have been something he ingested unknowingly but that can be a stretch. No one that Baseball has accused has been unable to overturn the testing results. Manny I expected it; Ryan did not see it coming. Now he will be horribly marked for the remainder of what is left of his career and you can kiss any further awards goodbye.